Delta 88 57.52%
Non Delta 65 42.48%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 01, 2011, 06:45 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
sideview

here's my take on the sideview. I think it looks as sleek from the side as it does from the top view. I'm not sure if the tail will please everyone, so that could be modified and the cockpit could be modified some. I tried to keep the overall height squashed down a bit, to keep the frontal cross section to a minimum, just like I tried to keep the width to a minimum for the same reason. enjoy.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2011, 07:18 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,231 Posts
I drew one up last night too. It's easy to end up with a really long airplane with long ducting.

I remembered that I have an easy to use airplane cad program on another computer, so I'll try drawing it on that and then I can see what it looks like from all directions.

SC
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old May 01, 2011, 09:16 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Steve

I'm thinking that your nose section, from the cockpit forward and your tail combined with the rear section of mine would look awesome. gonna see what I can do with it.

Rich
Old May 01, 2011, 09:37 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
new sideview

here's what I came up with, based on both of ours.
Old May 02, 2011, 01:27 AM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Scherpenheuvel-Zichem
Joined Aug 2000
41 Posts
I made quickly a very simple view of the fuse, if I got the time this evening there will be more.

Dirk
Von W is offline Find More Posts by Von W
Old May 02, 2011, 01:39 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
fuse/intakes

that looks very cool Dirk. I imagine the body line of the air intakes being a bit lower and more of a turtle deck. I also imagine the intakes being a slightly different shape............more like that of the Tazor. kinda like this, but recessed slinghtly into the fuse to minimise frontal cross section.
Old May 02, 2011, 01:46 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von W View Post
I made quickly a very simple view of the fuse, if I got the time this evening there will be more.

Dirk
Lol, so did I.

Kev
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old May 02, 2011, 02:02 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
Here is the rear and midsection alone.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2011, 12:48 PM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
867 Posts
Hi there

You guys have been very busy, love that you done looks awsome. But I think we should take a little break and decide on size and details, before we go on.

Please share your thoughts.

Here is some of mine:

I am not sure what the bump under the canopy is good for, don't you just get a pressure shift at this point (drag).

I think the fuselage spec. around the duct can bee decrease a bit in size, this give a smaller areal for less airresistance.

I think we should try to make the inleet/ outleet ratio 1:1.
frank40 is offline Find More Posts by frank40
Old May 02, 2011, 02:18 PM
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Scherpenheuvel-Zichem
Joined Aug 2000
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
that looks very cool Dirk. I imagine the body line of the air intakes being a bit lower and more of a turtle deck. I also imagine the intakes being a slightly different shape............more like that of the Tazor. kinda like this, but recessed slinghtly into the fuse to minimise frontal cross section.
I did in just 10minutes than I had to go to work and it was just to get a first impression.
Von W is offline Find More Posts by Von W
Old May 02, 2011, 02:34 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
believe me, you did more in 10 minutes, than I could do in a week. LOL. I wasn't mocking your work, just giving suggestion on what to change if you were going to do other drawings.
Old May 02, 2011, 02:34 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
What's wrong with the single sided intake? This would simplify the internal layout IMO?
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old May 02, 2011, 02:51 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
what fan size are we going with here?............90mm, 70mm? I would think that 90mm would deffinitely be popular, but then there are those that would say a 70mm would be more appropriate for "fly anywhere/anytime" jet.

would retracts be wanted or needed, because this will dictate the size of the plane too? retracts can be detrimental to a 70mm or smaller airplane. a 90mm size would be more appropriate for retracts.

based on the CAD drawings I've seen so far, the chubby rear end as originally drawn by Steve, will be very draggy and will slow the top speed down. you want a more slender profile, that is tapered towards the rear and has the coke bottle shape. this is what I represented with my modifcation of both Steve's and mine.

Frank. I assume the "bump under the canopy" you are referring to, is the bulge at the nose. I think it's more of a styling cue, but if you look at other delta's such as the Typhoon, it also has this styling cue. I'm guessing it's there because of the slightly nose up attitude of a delta and it helps guide air into the air intakes and also underneath the airplane for the extra lift provided by direction change. if I'm not mistaken, I read an article about the F-20. they found that a regular pointed nose was less efficient than a flattened top/bulged undernose profile. the plane was faster with the latter profile, because it created less drag.
Old May 02, 2011, 02:53 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik View Post
What's wrong with the single sided intake? This would simplify the internal layout IMO?
I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. I think it's very cool. it would deffinitely simplify things and also create less drag too. I'm guessing that there would be some assymetric issues associated with this setup, but I'm guessing a degree of opposite thrust would negate that issue.
Old May 02, 2011, 05:36 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
I'm with Von about it taking 10 minutes, but I did more during school.

I started working on a version with a single segment wing (seen in photo), and the traditional style thin wing and stabs. I personally like the design so I really do not care if this is a waste of time.
RCG Plus Member