View Poll Results: Model platform
Delta 88 57.52%
Non Delta 65 42.48%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 02, 2011, 09:18 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
863 Posts
LOL, sorry SMorrisRC... I got it now "impotent" English is not mt first language, hope you can forgive me.

My point is...If you have an airframe that looks cool and seems to meet your
aerodynamic needs, there is no harm done by scaling it to make all fit.

TANGOSIERRAROM:

Regarding the building technique, I think that it should be op to the builder all so if one want to use landing gear or not. I my self will use the Glassed foam technique, w no landing gear.

And as you say the fan size has Ben discussed a bit, but due low input from others it has more or less been decided to use a 70mm.
frank40 is offline Find More Posts by frank40
Last edited by frank40; Jun 02, 2011 at 09:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:06 AM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
No problem. I guessed it was a typo.
SMorrisRC is online now Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:33 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMorrisRC View Post
Yes, I see what your saying. But they know everything will fit in when they design it. It's not like they doodle a cessna and then figure out how to get 550 people in there!

.........and there's always model testing!
not anymore. Airbus does everything on computer. no more models. the A380 was the first plane designed, flight tested and built without the use of any models. apparantly, Airbus and many others will manufacture this way from now on. with the power of modern computers, there's no need for model testing anymore. it can all be done without. in fact, the flight testing of the 380 was done in advance of any structure being built and the simulator was built and in use before the design ever left the computer. they knew exactly how the plane would react in flight and was confirmed by the test pilots. no wind tunnel testing was done, according to the documentary we were shown.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Last edited by LuvEvolution7; Jun 02, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:50 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
as for our design, I think it's progressing quite nicely. we've established the function and drawn the form to fulfill that function. so in a manner of speaking, it is form following function. now it's just a matter of making everything fit together, which won't be a problem at all, especially being drawn up in CAD. you'll know where everything fits, long before it ever leaves the computer screen. nothing wrong with that process at all.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 11:14 AM
James L
Beck Row Mildenhall
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
[QUOTE=frank40;18397714]Regarding the building technique, I think that it should be op to the builder all so if one want to use landing gear or not. I my self will use the Glassed foam technique, w no landing gear.
QUOTE]

Good point Frank. So the structure should be of the builders choice so your glassed foam approach for you, while some will no doubt be drawn by the smell of wood shavings, others will go mad with foam and CF and yet others with moulds and glass. Following on from that fan choice, motor choice, and battery choice will all vary from builder to builder. So this design method is the only possible one for this project and I am willing to bet some builders will modify the shape a little too.
TANGOSIERRAROM is offline Find More Posts by TANGOSIERRAROM
Old Jun 02, 2011, 11:35 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
863 Posts
TANGOSIERRAROM

It would be cool to see this model in different sizes and variates and with different setups.

And if someone is going mad with moulds and glass, i will like to buy one

By the way.. we need a small intake for cooling the batteries and electronics, forgot this on my last model.
frank40 is offline Find More Posts by frank40
Old Jun 02, 2011, 11:57 AM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
not anymore. Airbus does everything on computer. no more models. the A380 was the first plane designed, flight tested and built without the use of any models. apparantly, Airbus and many others will manufacture this way from now on. with the power of modern computers, there's no need for model testing anymore. it can all be done without. in fact, the flight testing of the 380 was done in advance of any structure being built and the simulator was built and in use before the design ever left the computer. they knew exactly how the plane would react in flight and was confirmed by the test pilots. no wind tunnel testing was done, according to the documentary we were shown.
You do know I work at airbus, right??? Trust me, your info is way off.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 11:58 AM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank40 View Post
TANGOSIERRAROM

It would be cool to see this model in different sizes and variates and with different setups.

And if someone is going mad with moulds and glass, i will like to buy one

By the way.. we need a small intake for cooling the batteries and electronics, forgot this on my last model.
Retracts?????
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:06 PM
James L
Beck Row Mildenhall
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
One would think so.
TANGOSIERRAROM is offline Find More Posts by TANGOSIERRAROM
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:09 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,261 Posts
Are we still discussing this? Our goal was to make a cool jet, so it started with sharing cool ideas. We aren't carrying passengers or lifting cargo - I would argue that the form of a model (toy, fun) airplane is much more important than the function so we started from there. Now we tweak the form to make it work in the real world. Our design method suits our purpose, if you have a different purpose then I invite you to start another thread.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:18 PM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,229 Posts
I want a cool jet too. But I also want it to fly well. Angelina jolie is pretty sweet to look at, but she don't fly so well with a 90mm edf stuck on her fine derriere.
You can't just have something cool and hope it flies, which is all I see so far. There are simple, but important principles which need to be followed, but fine, go ahead as you are.........end up with something so nose heavy, or with such a small pack it can only fly for 2mins...............I leave you to it.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:22 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,261 Posts
Quote:
I want a cool jet too. But I also want it to fly well. Angelina jolie is pretty sweet to look at, but she don't fly so well with a 90mm edf stuck on her fine derriere.
You can't just have something cool and hope it flies, which is all I see so far. There are simple, but important principles which need to be followed, but fine, go ahead as you are.........end up with something so nose heavy, or with such a small pack it can only fly for 2mins...............I leave you to it.
And that's the discussion that we're having - tweaking the form to make it fly the way we want it to. Hence the discussion on wing placement, duct design, battery capacity.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:38 PM
The Netherlands, DR, Emmen
Joined Aug 2002
1,086 Posts
Appie is offline Find More Posts by Appie
Old Jun 02, 2011, 01:41 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
You do know I work at airbus, right??? Trust me, your info is way off.
better tell that to the guys that made the documentary then. it was all about the design phase, flight testing in the desert, the Canadian north, crosswind, etc.. the whole deal. it was them that said that. my info isn't off, it's theirs if that's what Airbus allowed them to put out. they also said the the head guy quit because of lack of delivery.............Champion, I believe his last name is/was.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 01:55 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
don't worry S, I already posted a while back saying that once we finalize the design, I'll crunch numbers to find moment arms, NP, CG and everything else we need to know. the plane will fly just fine and not be nose heavy and not fly for only 2 minutes. we're all good.