View Poll Results: Model platform
Delta 88 57.52%
Non Delta 65 42.48%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:51 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
867 Posts
Thats a nice jet you desiged kevin, any videos? would like to see it in action. Rich. Do you have some ideas about what you like to modify on the Rutan ARES, can you make som drawing maby.

Personaly I would chance the inlet, is has to be symetical. mabe a more pointy nose....Lets go crazy
frank40 is offline Find More Posts by frank40
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:55 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Nice topic!
I'd like to see a high speed edf jet for 90mm. A record breaker
Cancel out all inefficient parameters has been giving me a hard time for several years already LOL!!

subscribed!
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:45 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
that's exactly what I was thinking about the ARES. it needs symmetrical inlets and a more sleek looking nose. perhaps differently shaped canards too. I wish I could post drawings, but I don't know how to use any drawing programs, except paint and you know how crappy that is. LOL. I suppose I could draw on paper and scan it. I'll see what I can do.

the reason for the assymetric inlet is twofold. firstly, Rutan figured out that by recessing half the inlet into the body, it gives full inlet area with only half the frontal cross section. this reduces drag considerably, by reducing the overall frontal cross section of the airplane. secondly, the reason it's on the Port side, is because the gun is on the starboard side and there is no chance of the turbine ingesting the hot/turbine unfriendly gasses. I'm wondering if there's any merit to considering the possibility of a single inlet, fashioned like this one. it could be a revolution in the speed world. LOL.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Last edited by LuvEvolution7; Apr 26, 2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:53 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank40 View Post
Thats a nice jet you desiged kevin, any videos? would like to see it in action. Rich. Do you have some ideas about what you like to modify on the Rutan ARES, can you make som drawing maby.

Personaly I would chance the inlet, is has to be symetical. mabe a more pointy nose....Lets go crazy

Frank,
Here is a brief video. It is a 90mm jet but I have another on the bench the same size but for a 70mm...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=plenum

Erik, is correct if speed/max performance is what you want the model design has to focused on that.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:19 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank40 View Post
I was wondering what can be done if we put all the knowledge together on this forum, I know there is a ton of knowledge in here just waiting to be used. So I was thinking if there where any one is interest in making a “RC-group” EDF model where we put our thoughts and ideas together and made a common project. Lets make a super jet together……. Let me know what you think.
I think you are totally wasting your time, lets face it, most of as modelers are smart "A" think we know it all so how do you expect this sort of mob to agree on anything? Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:20 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
867 Posts
Hi Kevin. It’s looks like you model performs nicely and handles low speed to, what kind of airfoils do you use.

Rich. A scan of a drawing is just fine.

Joe. I think your wrong, I have meet many people how have a ton of knowledge, but still thy want to learn more and like to share there knowledge (Not know it all person at all)

One thing is for sure, if you don’t try you can not succeed
Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:56 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
867 Posts
Rich, something like this? Feel fri to chance anything you like.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 04:08 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
867 Posts
Just played around a bit more....added a pic.
Last edited by frank40; Apr 27, 2011 at 04:36 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 03:30 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
ok, here's my thoughts. first of all, that's exactly what I had in mind Frank.

how about all three of those as an option? the body style doesn't have to change, just the wings. something like the first drawing for high maneuverability and less speed. the second drawing for a combination of maneuverability and speed and the thrid drawing for speed. the airframe would remain the same and only the wings would change. or, you could build all three wings and have the ability to interchange at the field. yeah, I know I'm just thinking out loud here. LOL.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:19 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
Don't forget the cigar concept. The skinnier the cigar is, the less drag there is.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:51 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,225 Posts
The cigar thing is what they thought in WW2, but much has been learned about how the boundary layer works since then and this is the key to low drag. Sometimes it means a less slender shape is better. Check out the Questair Venture for a bit of an eye opener. The air loves that plane!

For pure good looks, I like the last one frank. No mistaking it for anything but a jet

I'd share some sketches but I'm still using pencil and paper, though I have upgraded to a mechanical pencil . 15 years ago I had a computer program that was really easy to draw with, but it quit working when the evil Windows XP came out. I was sad

I've read Google's Sketchup is pretty good. Anyone using it?
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Last edited by Steve C; Apr 28, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 01:17 PM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
867 Posts
hey steve

You can poste any drawing you like, it dose not need to be drawn in any program, by hand is just fine.

You can try A9CAD, I use it for 2D drawings and it's free.

I like the one in the middle, the last one looks to much like something thats allready been done.

Rich. Tree planes with one fuselage, that is is a great idea.
Last edited by frank40; Apr 28, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 04:15 PM
België, Vlaams Gewest, Scherpenheuvel-Zichem
Joined Aug 2000
37 Posts
For years I want to build my good old P300 a little smaller and an EDF in stead of the gasturbine.

Von W is offline Find More Posts by Von W
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:15 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Don't forget the cigar concept. The skinnier the cigar is, the less drag there is.
actually, a cigar shape isn't as aerodynamic as you may think. it doesn't matter how large or small the cigar is, because as the diameter increases at its mid section, the drag coefficient tends to either stay the same or raise slightly. they discovered this up here in Canada with the Avro Arrow project. the Arrow was the first aircraft to use the "coke bottle", area ruled shape. it was aircraft designer Jom Floyd who came up with this idea and put it to practical aerodynamic use.

I really like the last the last pic by Frank too. it looks like a very cool plane. I'm trying to envision an inlet design for that aircraft. what I have in mind is a recessed, erea ruled inlet that would minimize frontal cross section, while allowing maximum intake area.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:16 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
is it just me, or does the red and white plane kinda look like the offspring of a Mig 21 and a Saab Draken? LOL.