Delta 88 57.52%
Non Delta 65 42.48%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11, 2011, 01:28 PM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,181 Posts
An ugly one, but I guess you could argue it is!

The most famous are of course, Concorde and Blackbird!
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 01:42 PM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
847 Posts
I have been trying to figure out if there will be any advantages reg. AOA if the NACA inlet is place under the belly or maybe at the top to. But I relay don’t know. Dose the NACA inlet has to follow a precis mathematical line, and if so dose anyone have the formula.

Regarding the platform:

Here is my idea, we encourages people to vote on a platform. And on Sunday we count the votes. New ideas can come op at a later time, so we may need to chance our decision.

We can also decide to go for more than one platform, this way we can borrow ideas from each other.

Let me know what you think.
frank40 is offline Find More Posts by frank40
Old May 11, 2011, 01:53 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,118 Posts
There is a link here to a 1945 document on naca ducts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_duct. Check the references section.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2011, 01:54 PM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,181 Posts
The optimum ramp angle, if I recall correctly (and probably don't so someone check!), for a NACA duct is about 7 degrees, and an aspect ratio of the inlet around 3:1. This means that to make it an engine intake, it's potentially going to be ENORMOUS!
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old May 11, 2011, 03:47 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
NACA inlet

here's a few to mull over.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old May 13, 2011, 04:10 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
intake

forgive the crudeness, but here's kinda what I was thinking for the intake.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:11 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,434 Posts
On standby waiting for final decisions...
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old May 13, 2011, 08:30 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Frank

perhaps start a poll at the top of the page, so people can vote on a planform. put a time frame on it (5 days for example), so that at the end we have a solid direction of where to go with the design. just an idea.
Old May 13, 2011, 08:34 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
On standby waiting for final decisions...
maybe in the meantime, see if you can do anything with that inlet and see how it fits into the design you have. regardless of planform, it'll still look the same.

I'm thinking the canard should be behind the NACA inlet, as it'll save disrupting the flow of air in that critical location.

that's of course if we're going with one. LOL.
Old May 14, 2011, 06:42 AM
James L
Beck Row Mildenhall
Joined Mar 2009
778 Posts
Any body fancy going completely bonkers and throwing this idea into the mix.
TANGOSIERRAROM is offline Find More Posts by TANGOSIERRAROM
Old May 14, 2011, 11:35 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
now that's a cool looking plane.
Old May 14, 2011, 12:19 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,921 Posts
I've never liked the idea of NACA ducts for the main inlet. There's got to be turbulence coming off of those walls. The work with turbines because they don't mind dirty airflow, but in EDFs I think they've no place. Not to mention they'd by harder to build.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old May 14, 2011, 03:56 PM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
847 Posts
A poll, thats a great idear. I like the work you did with the NACA inlett, I have no idear if work well with EDF, but we can make a poll on that to.

James L,That is a unusually plane.

The Poll is set to 5 days. Please vote.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:20 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep View Post
I've never liked the idea of NACA ducts for the main inlet. There's got to be turbulence coming off of those walls. The work with turbines because they don't mind dirty airflow, but in EDFs I think they've no place. Not to mention they'd by harder to build.
this is why I recommended to use a compromise of both types of inlet. it doesn't even have to be a NACA inlet at all. just a simple necking in of the fuselage at that part of the airframe. I was trying to figure out a way to have the best of both worlds, without having huge gaping pitot style inlets, creating a lot of speed robbing drag at speed. if you look at my drawing above, part of the intake area is recessed into the fuselage so that the pitot style inlets stick out in the wind less. if we went with a simple necking in of the fuselage, we'de get the same results of less frontal area and the air would simply follow the contour of the fuselage into the intake.

part of the advantage of a NACA inlet, is the turbulence created by the walls. it's in the form of counter rotating vortices that draw in free stream air, instead of boundary layer air. this means that no turbulence gets drawn into the intake itself. it simply spills off around the sides, allowing clean, free stream air into the intake. remember that pitot inlets recover their energy in front of the intakes, whereas NACA inlets recover their energy inside the intake itself. I would imagine this is a benefit for a ducted fan at high speed. a plane is only as fast as its ability to convert the energy of the free stream into energy for flight. NACA inlets are about 94% efficient at doing this. pitot inlets are below 75% because of the ram style of ingestion. I'm not sure if NACA are the way to go, but it makes sense to me.

I do have a solution though............I will build mine with the combination inlet and see what speeds I get. the others can do a regular inlet if they like and we'll be able to see what works better.
Old May 15, 2011, 02:57 AM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
847 Posts
I tryed to make another poll, but only one is allowed. I wanted know if we should go for all speed. If we decide on a delt, I will suggested we loss the canards, because it means a higher fugelage to offset the main wings from the canards(more drag)

Just a thought.....