SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:01 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Question
Horizon Hobbies swash leveling tool for Blade 400/450

Horizon Hobbies swash leveling tool for Blade 400/450 part number BLH1690A.

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...rodID=BLH1690A

Does anyone know how this is used? I have seen videos for swash leveling tools that slip over the main shaft, but this one seems different. Any idea what the distance markings on the side are used for? The hole in the end looks almost like it is hexagonal rather than round, I am not sure what that is for either.

-Chocula
Chocula is offline Find More Posts by Chocula
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:02 AM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,194 Posts
First,, I don't know how this works... But most of us never use one!
There just not needed... most of us who have been flying for years know, that eyeing it is good enough . You will have to change your trim anyways with different batteries or wear on ball links.. When the cg changes because you had to move your tail to tighten your belt , ( by sliding back the tail boom) is just one example .. Also the bearing in the swash will get slop anyways from use..
DanT is offline Find More Posts by DanT
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:46 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
That device fits over the upper swash plate and balls of the Blade 400 swash, and allows you to visualize the orientation a little better. As Dan said, it's basically worthless. Swash leveling is over-rated - get it close with your eye, then you'll need to trim anyway. Most beginners don't have trouble with swash positioning - it's the mixing system that is usually out of adjustment.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Apr 25, 2011, 01:27 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
I agree that as long as your mixing is correct, the swash being close to level vs level is likely imperceivable, especially to a beginner such as myself.

It was my understanding that to setup the mixing, one levels the swash at 0 degrees pitch, then adjusts the servo endpoints so that it is also level at maximum and minimum pitch. One would then verify this by keeping the swash leveling tool in place while moving the stick from end to end, verifying that the swash stayed level throughout the pitch range.

What other techniques are used to setup the mixing?

-Chocula
Old Apr 25, 2011, 04:40 PM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,194 Posts
Chocula,,
Tip , 0 pitch on most helicopters is at 50 % throttle , so that's were I set everything at level.. ( servos arms are level also..)
Most people make sure there running the same servos(brand and size) and arms on the same spacing ... (holes )
But it's well known that even if you have two servos of the same size and brand , they still might not move at the same speed... So if you level a swash at the bottom or top of it's travel (pitch), it will be off more then if you split the difference at center travel or 50%. Never run different servos or different arm's on you swash for this reason. Hope this help .
Last edited by DanT; Apr 25, 2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 05:54 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Well yeah, you're confusing two things that are loosely related but aren't the same thing. Swash leveling is done to make sure we aren't putting any cyclic to the blades, when we haven't inputted any cyclic on the radio. End-point adjustment is to make sure we don't get any unwanted cyclic as we move through the pitch range. Completely different things, and both are of minor importance really. What's important is that your heli flies straight, and doesn't do anything you didn't command. Leveling and interaction are just two of the things we check when we discover this problem.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Thank you Dan and Jasmine, I appreciate your generosity imparting your wisdom.

-Chocula
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:00 AM
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocula View Post
Horizon Hobbies swash leveling tool for Blade 400/450 part number BLH1690A.

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...rodID=BLH1690A
Does anyone know how this is used?
The directions are posted on the Horizon Hobby website now:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...90A#quickSpecs
Kale is offline Find More Posts by Kale
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:04 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
I can agree that for the EXPERIENCED that swash leveling is not as important as you can fix these easily after you start with an eyeballed level to begin with.

For beginners, they don't really need any unwanted interactions while learning. Hard enough to learn without the heli doing stuff you didn't tell it to do. Also, I find it good practice to mechanically set up the heli properly then using the radio as a last resort.

I do exactly what the OP mentions, level the swash at mid, bottom and top stick. At mid you use the linkages and sub trim, at the ends you use end points. The process is fairly fast and you end up with a better machine.

Don't do stuff "just good enough" or 95% but to each their own...
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:45 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
Don't do stuff "just good enough" or 95% but to each their own...
But the swash leveling tool only gets it close, not perfect, and you have to fly the thing to trim it anyway? That's the mistake I think some beginners make - they even say so... "I leveled the swash and it still drifts" - well, you didn't get it perfect.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:45 AM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,194 Posts
Tip,,, helicopters will always drift ..... In some kind of direction ...!
Years of flying them has proved this....!! LOL
Just a little wind will make it move all over the place.... Even if you some how got the CG and all setting perfect ...And your swash bearing starts to get loose !!!
You have to fly!!!! Helicopters.... Every second ....! Only one pilot in a hundred that can fly RC Airplanes ,,, ( they say..) can fly helicopters !!!
I think that number is tooooooooo LOW...!!! LOL
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:56 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
My comments weren't really based on the use of a swash leveling tool per se. Just on the general method of set up and yes it's an iterative process, you're not going to get it perfect on the bench but... that does not negate what I've said in terms of getting it set up as well as possible.

A good pilot will get a poorly set up machine into the air and say... wow this sucks, I really need to fix that... a beginner will try to get a poorly set up heli into the air and plow it into the ground 3' away and say.. Ohh

There are a lot of cues to getting the swash set up by eye for those that have built a lot of helis. Using a swash leveling tool for a beginner I think is a good idea until he learns those cues...

In the end, I can't see a negative to using one.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:46 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Yeah wasn't saying not to use it. I was saying don't use the leveler and then expect it to be perfect. If it doesn't fly perfect, don't eliminate swash leveling as a possible problem.