HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:01 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
Discussion
How do you resist the urge to fly, when too windy?

I can tell its about to happen. Windy all friekin day. Hoping its gonna die. Seems like the lower the sun gets the less i care about crashing when its time to land.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:04 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,853 Posts
go out and fly I simply just pray (and use my amazing skill ) that I get it back down in one piece. The planes usually survive 95% of the time, even in 20 mph winds...
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:05 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
i have a wing for wind.. ms composit swift 2 it takes the wind well as long as you take the wind well.... and in the even of a crash.. usually they bounce :P
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:09 PM
bluefield va.
Joined Sep 2009
319 Posts
Well let me see after totally destoying a super stick and now a twist 40 I now think I can resist!!!!
grasschopper is offline Find More Posts by grasschopper
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
It's easy for me to resist the wind. On a dead calm day my chances of bringing home my plane in one piece is precisely 14%. A guy sneezing in the next county reduces that to .01%
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:37 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,397 Posts
Quote:
How do you resist the urge to fly, when too windy?
I dunno. Never had to. When a day comes that's too windy, I'll resist and report back here
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:50 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,281 Posts
You know how I'll answer this one...

SLOPING!!!

I had a nice young fellow (user "dharwood") ask me today if it ever got too windy to fly slope gliders. After a bit of thought I told him, "Not unless you run out of lead." Fact!

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:56 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,112 Posts
Just made my first huge newb mistake, took the Champ out in 10 mph winds, hand launched, gust grabbed it, picked up pieces 75 yards downwind of me 5 seconds later. I'd been told several times in several different posts but couldn't wait any longer. Seems I'll have to learn to resist the urge the old way .... slowly. Did I feel stupid? yep, but a little glue has her near ready to go again.
immelguy is offline Find More Posts by immelguy
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,397 Posts
Slopers are completely backwards with regard to the norms of R/C flying:

1) They go faster WITHOUT motors than planes WITH motors

2) They can only fly when the wind is blowing, and the windier it gets, the better

3) People ADD weight in the form of lead to HELP the plane fly

4) They cannot fly over a flat field the way everyone else does

Based on these observations, by the power vested in me I officially proclaim that slopers are NOT, in fact, true radio-controlled aircraft and must all be destroyed before they cause any more harm to otherwise sensible people. This decree is to take effect immediately.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
So let it be written... so let it be done.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:24 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP16 View Post
Based on these observations, by the power vested in me I officially proclaim that slopers are NOT, in fact, true radio-controlled aircraft and must all be destroyed before they cause any more harm to otherwise sensible people. This decree is to take effect immediately.
TRUE modelers don't need no spinny razor sharp thingies on their noses. They fly in wind NO matter how hard it is blowing, and they even have the guts to pull up a lawn chair and a beer and actually ENJOY flying!!
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:32 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,397 Posts
Quote:
they even have the guts to pull up a lawn chair and a beer and actually ENJOY flying!!
Ahhh... So now you're promoting laziness and endorsing underage drinking? You no-good sloper Poisoning society, that's what you jerks are doing

If you happen to have an extra cold one or two, I'd be happy to try out your lawn chair...
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:33 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
TRUE modelers don't need no spinny razor sharp thingies on their noses. They fly in wind NO matter how hard it is blowing, and they even have the guts to pull up a lawn chair and a beer and actually ENJOY flying!!
Give me a lawn chair, a beer, and a place to sit, and I'll lift the moon.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:46 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
You guys are funny. Good times on this forum it makes me smile

Showed the wind who is boss!!!! Take that you gusty son o bitch!!!

Not the greatest landing....but hey if my cowl dont crack i feel it was good enough.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
You guys are funny. Good times on this forum it makes me smile

Showed the wind who is boss!!!! Take that you gusty son o bitch!!!

Not the greatest landing....but hey if my cowl dont crack i feel it was good enough.
Most of my my landings are what I call "Trebuchet" landings. This is where the wheels plant them themselves firmly into the dirt and the tail arcs itself over in a wickedly high speed catapult type maneuver.