HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:39 AM
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
160 Posts
Randy yes, I did all that when I purchased the Minima, everything is up to date.

I think I somewhat understand why and when the servo problem is happening. When I reverse the servo on the TX, the servo arm moves about 30 degrees from its neutral position with no reversal. This is without any trims, subtrims etc. The way I had the pushrods set up, to center the rudder I have to add some negative subtrim which moves the servo in the same direction by an additional 10 deg or so. I believe there is some sort of a servo movement range which gets smaller in one direction as a result. If on top this I give full control, the servo goes out of range and misbehaves. I played with the control rod and came up with a setup which now requires positive subtrim, thus recovers back some of that lost range due to reversal. Now I can move the servo in either direction full range with no problems.

I have no idea why the servo should move at all when I reverse the channel. Do you guys think this is normal? I would think that it should stay where it is but only move in the opposite direction in response to stick inputs.

Anyways, back to the Minima 6T again since things look more or less under control (famous last words...).
atesus is online now Find More Posts by atesus
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:30 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Dec 2008
260 Posts
Ates brought the Miles 2m out to Curtis 11/10/2011 with the intent to maiden but encountered faulty rudder servo operation which postponed the maiden. It sure is a beautiful plane and his workmanship is absolutely outstanding. Hope he resolves the servo issue.
Noel Eberhardt is offline Find More Posts by Noel Eberhardt
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:03 PM
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
160 Posts
Thank you for the pictures from the pseudo-maiden day Noel.

After resolving the weird servo problem I noticed last week, the real maiden took place this morning.

My first couple hand tosses were nice and predictable but nevertheless resulted in a dislodged fin. Fin-fuse attachment is a balsa-to-balsa joint and would benefit from some strengthening in the future. No worries, I fixed it with some CA, and after a couple more hand tosses and I was ready for the winch. The first attempt resulted in a fairly low pop off, but I got a decent flight out of it still. A good sign . A couple clicks of down elevator trim and the subsequent launches looked much better with the plane staying on the winch line all the way.

All I can say is that I'm very pleased with this glider. It's very responsive to controls, it can make use of the weak lifts, it's a joy to fly (Disclaimer: Please note that I don't know many other R/C gliders, its this one and my Gentle Lady, so feel free to discount my enthusiasm as you see fit ).

I also got a chance to figure out the ratios for the spoiler-elevator mix so that the plane stays relatively level when the spoiler is deployed.

Although I had my video camera set up on a tripod for capturing the maiden day festivities (!) I was unable record anything worth sharing. I need a camera with a wide-angle lens, or somebody to operate the camera real-time to chase the action. Maybe some other time...

I'm a happy camper .
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:21 PM
United States, IL, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2002
971 Posts
I finally got around to finishing up my Miles kit.
Hoping to get it in the air soon..
wgeffon is offline Find More Posts by wgeffon
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:41 PM
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeffon View Post
I finally got around to finishing up my Miles kit.
Hoping to get it in the air soon..
Looks handsome! I like the color combination. Good luck with the maiden.

During my first few flights I found that the attachment between the fuse aft section and the fin is weak and gets damaged in less than perfect landings. I since reglued the the fin to the fuse using epoxy glue and reinforced the joint form the outside with some lightweight FG cloth. I have not flown it yet in this configuration. I'll probably have to add a few grams of nose weight to balance it again. In any event, it's a very nice flying glider.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:57 PM
United States, IL, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2002
971 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I got several flights on the plane today.
I wound up settling on a CG position of 78mm back from the LE.
The fin / fuse connection remained solid all day but I'll keep an eye on it.

The plane flew good. I'm pretty happy with it.
wgeffon is offline Find More Posts by wgeffon