HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:13 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotp469 View Post
First time flying a rc plane(but i do fly helicopters)and i started with a pop wing. First time building one first time flying one. My maiden flight went well except for the fact that my wing wanted and did fly upside down. I think put it together just like the manual said. So what have i done wrong?
Did it roll upside down sideways or loop front to back. One thing is looks like your control horns are too far back. That reduces the control throw.

The trick with the Popwing is getting the CG right relative to the elevon position. What battery are you using and did you add any extra nose weight? The design tends to be tail heavy with any battery that fits in the pocket. Tail heavy plus some up elevon will leans to a rapid loop over. If you really balance where they say, yoo need a lot of up trim to get level flight otherwise it nose dives when you launch it. I found its better to start with it tail heavy, get it flying and then gradually add nose weight until it trims with some up reflex.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:18 AM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
Maybe not in the picture but the numbers are facing the front of the wing.
Pilotp469 is offline Find More Posts by Pilotp469
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:25 AM
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
It rolled sideways,and it rolled fast. Im using a 3s 11.1v 1300mah pack.Im going to move the control arms forward.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:32 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
if it rolled sideways then your elevons were uneven. You can site sideways across the wing and use trim to get them level with each other. This does not help with where they need to be up/down but it should stop or slow the roll. The only other possibility is some how way off balance from the center line. Hard to see how that could be so its probably your elevons being uneven. Once you can get it airborn, you have to usually act fast to get it fully trimmed. If you can't trim it fast enough while flying, bring it down remembering which way it need to be trimmed, add some trim and repeat.

Note, I have the control arm holes lined up with the hinge line and even that does not give as much elevon travel as the manual suggest.

Make sure to set your rates at around 60% to start and add some expo.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:36 AM
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
Thanks i'll go take a look at it again!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:51 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
565 Posts
I've seen a lot of videos of the Mini here. So instead of posting the usual "flying" stuff, here's a funny one!

Wing Crash Fail (0 min 11 sec)

It flies tail heavy with a 500mah battery (even tried to balance it with a rock, but as you'll see it still tends to be tail heavy). Flies better with a 800 or more me thinks! (with my combo)
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:46 PM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,528 Posts
I think we've all suffered with th tree syndrome. Tnx for sharing
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:15 PM
One more flight...
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Okay, I get it now... Sounds like your servos are too weak for the speed. Usually metal gear 9 grams do the trick, not sure if you are using them or not. High speed loads the elevons pretty good and a weak servo will stall under the load and not move until you slow down.

The 420 was a joke. I'm making an assumption it has another meaning. Maybe I was wrong
my servos are 11g mg servos, and i believe them to be plenty strong...i have found the weak spot, in the control rod. under load i tested it with my hands, it bends...so LHS and gonna pick up some thick gauge wire.
n00ber420 is offline Find More Posts by n00ber420
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:33 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Feb 2012
128 Posts
control rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00ber420 View Post
my servos are 11g mg servos, and i believe them to be plenty strong...i have found the weak spot, in the control rod. under load i tested it with my hands, it bends...so LHS and gonna pick up some thick gauge wire.
Yep, my controls rods were bending too. I replaced them with Kwik-Link 2-56 rods.
Here is my build log if anyone is interested..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1819147
maurof78 is online now Find More Posts by maurof78
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DJI F450 - 1 mile FPV flight
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:21 PM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
LOVE the Popwing FPV!!!

Carries all my gear and then some...

Popwing FPV First flight (6 min 43 sec)
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:09 PM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,528 Posts
Nice setup
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:32 PM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
I am about an hour from Gainesville in the middle of nowhere, always looking for places to fly my popwing. You fly club or private?
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:34 PM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolya View Post
I am about an hour from Gainesville in the middle of nowhere, always looking for places to fly my popwing. You fly club or private?
Its a private piece of land surrounded by alot of swamp.
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:13 AM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
Sounds like most of Florida.
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:16 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
565 Posts
A question for all the Mini owners. What servos are you all using? I'm using 4.3g ones and they seem to chatter a little so I might change them.
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99