HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:42 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
I looked at this but didn't see how to get a 2200 mounted without getting into very thin foam. I already snapped the nose off once with a 1300 battery which just uses the standard battery pocket. How did you mount the 2200 and keep the nose strong?
Yeah, that's the tricky part. Enlarging the battery area to fit the 2200mah packs DOES put you in some thin foam. What I did, was ignore that factor completely at first, and cut out just enough to fit the battery inside. Then, I took a tube of amazing goop and a thin strip of ply that was the same size of the newly cut away area, and coated the entire inside of everything with amazing goop and then laid the ply down inside and then coated over the ply so it was embedded inside the layer of amazing goop. As for the velcro strap, I just installed it pretty much the same way you would with the stock ply with the slits in it.

So far it's been working perfectly for the past 6 months. And i've had my fair share of not so perfect landings.

That "Amazing Goop" really helps strengthen the weak areas where it's been cut out to fit the larger battery.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:58 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit N Run View Post
Yeah, that's the tricky part. Enlarging the battery area to fit the 2200mah packs DOES put you in some thin foam. What I did, was ignore that factor completely at first, and cut out just enough to fit the battery inside. Then, I took a tube of amazing goop and a thin strip of ply that was the same size of the newly cut away area, and coated the entire inside of everything with amazing goop and then laid the ply down inside and then coated over the ply so it was embedded inside the layer of amazing goop. As for the velcro strap, I just installed it pretty much the same way you would with the stock ply with the slits in it.

So far it's been working perfectly for the past 6 months. And i've had my fair share of not so perfect landings.

That "Amazing Goop" really helps strengthen the weak areas where it's been cut out to fit the larger battery.
Since it needs weight in the nose anyway, another way to go would be to glass the nose/battery area "surfboard style" using some 4oz glass cloth and clear surfboard epoxy. Resin Research is a really good epoxy for this and it won't hurt any of the foams. Fiberglass Supply is a good source for both the cloth and the RR epoxy.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Since it needs weight in the nose anyway, another way to go would be to glass the nose/battery area "surfboard style" using some 4oz glass cloth and clear surfboard epoxy. Resin Research is a really good epoxy for this and it won't hurt any of the foams. Fiberglass Supply is a good source for both the cloth and the RR epoxy.
Yep, glassing it works just as well. I personally chose using the "amazing goop" only because of it's flexibility over epoxy so it could "bend" vs crack in the event of a nose in, but either way will definitely do the job.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:52 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,424 Posts
Quote:
You guys using APC or APC style props with spacers, I found that spacer can fall out when I land or crash. Do people glue these into the prop?
Yes, glue them in with a bit of CA and then you can ream them to fit as needed (with prop reamers, not knife blades or drill bits)
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
with prop reamers, not knife blades or drill bits)
would that be "proper reamers" or "propeller reamers". I can get reamers from any tool supply. Are there special reamers for propellers?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,781 Posts
Quote:
would that be "proper reamers" or "propeller reamers". I can get reamers from any tool supply. Are there special reamers for propellers?
You want something like this. CLICK
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:17 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,424 Posts
Quote:

Not sure how special they, but they do have the proper sizes for most prop adaptors.

I have one metric and one standard and they are very handy to have around.

Here's some examples:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...CH=prop+reamer
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Not sure how special they, but they do have the proper sizes for most prop adaptors.

I have one metric and one standard and they are very handy to have around.

Here's some examples:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...CH=prop+reamer
I read through some threads about stepped vs tapered reamers. I am kind of feeling the tapered approach. I found this one. Its CHEAP!
http://www.harborfreight.com/t-handle-reamer-66936.html
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,781 Posts
Quote:
I read through some threads about stepped vs tapered reamers. I am kind of feeling the tapered approach. I found this one. Its CHEAP!
http://www.harborfreight.com/t-handle-reamer-66936.html
Nice find! I like the price.... Now where did I put my credit card..
I few of these are always good to have handy!

Actually, a 15 minute drive would be cheaper than the shipping..... (maybe)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:11 AM
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
watt meter readings

I just got my new wattmeter so I took some readings on my Popwing. This was with the stock Tiger 2208 and a 1300mAh 3S Nanotech

Stock prop APC clone 7x5: Ipeak=11.4 amps, Ppeak=134 watts
GWS 8x4: Ipeak=10.3 amps, Ppeak=122 Watts

So just a little more power with the 7x5. For what its worth, I put the numbers in propcalc. For the 8x4 prop it predicts 114Watts and 11 Amps so not too bad.

With he APC 7x5, it does not do so well. It shows a warning "prop may stall" and the predicted power is only 89 watts at 8.5 amps. This is not very close to the actual data. Anyone know why this might be?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:17 AM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
One of today's flights

I just got home from the AMA Expo yesterday and I needed to get some flying in so I went out with my Mini Popwing and my hat cam.

The plane is hard to see at around 3:00-3:45 because I was trying to show the vertical performance.

(watch in 1080p HD)
Techone Mini Popwing (Not stock) (6 min 1 sec)
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:39 PM
Crew Chief
Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2009
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I just got home from the AMA Expo yesterday and I needed to get some flying in so I went out with my Mini Popwing and my hat cam.

The plane is hard to see at around 3:00-3:45 because I was trying to show the vertical performance.

(watch in 1080p HD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUWrD...MrFQ1w&index=1
Dam nice, i need to get the stuff to fly again at that field. Typically i just hit the Aliente park , both are the same distance from my house.
terrasmak is offline Find More Posts by terrasmak
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:16 AM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
Here's another onboard video with my mini popwing from today.

Techone Mini popwing chasing Cub (6 min 15 sec)
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:59 AM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Hi everyone!

Just ordered a Tek Sumo (which I believe is the same as the PopWing), and I've got a 2826 2200kv motor for it, a pile of 6x4E props and some simple 9g servos.

My question is, do I need to setup dual rates or expos? This is going to be my first wing, which I am using as a trainer before I try and fly my SkyWalker X5. So for nice smooth flight what should I set my dr/expos to?

Thanks for any help for a wing noob

-Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:53 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsazerbaijan View Post
Hi everyone!

Just ordered a Tek Sumo (which I believe is the same as the PopWing), and I've got a 2826 2200kv motor for it, a pile of 6x4E props and some simple 9g servos.

My question is, do I need to setup dual rates or expos? This is going to be my first wing, which I am using as a trainer before I try and fly my SkyWalker X5. So for nice smooth flight what should I set my dr/expos to?

Thanks for any help for a wing noob

-Al
Set the throws per the build instructions, they are conservative. You can increase them later when you are comfortable and are ready for much more extreme roll rates etc. I wouldn't worry about doing dual rates if your throws are per the manual. Some positive expo is good too, depends on what your used to using if any? 30% is a good start but that's totally an individual's preference. Some fly with less, some with much more. I was using a bunch but have dialed back to about 20% on the planes I use any on. Most get none for me.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap