HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:13 AM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
641 Posts
My mini popwing with the stock setup (hot version) hits in the 75mph neighborhood with an APC 6x4. I bought it back in the spring so I don't know if they have changed the setup since then or not. It is def. a fun plane.....got a kick out of chasing all the blackbirds around last summer as they would fly over going to roost!!
flygilmore is online now Find More Posts by flygilmore
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:44 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
690 Posts
Fpv

HI,

Thought I would share some FPV vids from my Teksumo. I have two teksumos and love em. Such a fun plane! I am running a 2826 2200kv motor with 7x4 prop and 2200mah 3s battery. Oh yeah they're tough as anything too...a few crashes in the vid.

Cheers,
Gim

Some FPV fun 1 (2 min 54 sec)

Some FPV Fun 2 (2 min 58 sec)
Gimmer is online now Find More Posts by Gimmer
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:21 AM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Jan 2012
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post
HI,

Thought I would share some FPV vids from my Teksumo. I have two teksumos and love em. Such a fun plane! I am running a 2826 2200kv motor with 7x4 prop and 2200mah 3s battery. Oh yeah they're tough as anything too...a few crashes in the vid.

Cheers,
Gim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa7u0AhGZC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAKlrrs0ISA
Ahoy! Very nice videos! I liked how you were following and filming the other plane. I want more... Thanks for sharing and good job on the sticks, Capt'n Ron
mycaptain is offline Find More Posts by mycaptain
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:28 PM
My dog ate my airplane
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
190 Posts
Just ordered a Popwing kit from nitroplanes.com and have a 24gram, 1700kv Blue Wonder I'm thinking of using along with a 1000mah, 3s to try to keep it light and floaty for the small park I usually fly in. Has anyone on this thread used a similar setup? And if so, were you satisfied with the results?
sredlin is offline Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:31 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
I just finished flying my Popwing again a few minutes ago. I love this thing!
It's my "everyday flyer" that I can walk right outside my garage and toss right in the air. The best part is, it has that perfect combination that many look for. You can fly it fast OR slow!
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:09 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
GWS 8040 prop?

My 900mm Popwing came with a 7x5 prop and a prop saver. Although the prop came with a number of spacer sleeves, none of them seem to fit well with the supplied prop saver. Has anyone tried using the GWS 8040 prop? I have a bag of these and they fit the prop saver much better and the prop fits between the elevons but just barely.

Any thoughts on using this prop instead of the supplied 7x5?
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:39 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sredlin View Post
Just ordered a Popwing kit from nitroplanes.com and have a 24gram, 1700kv Blue Wonder I'm thinking of using along with a 1000mah, 3s to try to keep it light and floaty for the small park I usually fly in. Has anyone on this thread used a similar setup? And if so, were you satisfied with the results?
I'm running this (as are a few others in this thread). Decent performance and about 10 - 20 minute flights depending upon how hard you fly it on 2200mah packs. My maiden was on a tired old 1300mah pack (with a lot of weight to get the CG right) and it worked just fine.

Hope that helps!
Don
gp125racer is online now Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:29 PM
My dog ate my airplane
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
190 Posts
Don,

Thanks for the info, but I already have the gear described in my last post, which I'm planning on trying rather than buying more stuff. Hopefully it will work for a slow floaty wing with enough guts to handle a little wind and some basic aerobatics? I'm not really looking for high speed because my "flying field"/corner park is pretty small. If it doesn't work I'll try something different, thanks again for the info though.

Scott
sredlin is offline Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:59 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
My 900mm Popwing came with a 7x5 prop and a prop saver. Although the prop came with a number of spacer sleeves, none of them seem to fit well with the supplied prop saver. Has anyone tried using the GWS 8040 prop? I have a bag of these and they fit the prop saver much better and the prop fits between the elevons but just barely.

If you're using the stock motor from the ARF version, an APC 7x6e works best in my opinion...
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:07 AM
Crew Chief
Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2009
89 Posts
Still can't decide on what motor to get . This one http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...00-Zoom/Detail or something slightly smaller.
terrasmak is offline Find More Posts by terrasmak
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:27 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
Still can't decide on what motor to get . This one http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...00-Zoom/Detail or something slightly smaller.
Many have been using that motor with great results. I'm using something slower. An RC Timer 2208-14 (1450kv) and an EMP 7X5 prop on my Popwing but i'm not looking for crazy speeds either. At least not on my current one. My next one will probably get the Power Up 400 (zoom) though for those days when I really want to tear up the skies.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:23 AM
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post

For what its worth, I flew my 900mm PW this morning with the GWS 8040 and it seemed to work just fine. I still need to hook up my power meter and see what sort of current and power it draws. I like that it fits on the prop saver without any spacers. It would be nice if GWS made a 7x5 for direct comparison.

You guys using APC or APC style props with spacers, I found that spacer can fall out when I land or crash. Do people glue these into the prop?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:16 PM
Crew Chief
Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2009
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit N Run View Post
Many have been using that motor with great results. I'm using something slower. An RC Timer 2208-14 (1450kv) and an EMP 7X5 prop on my Popwing but i'm not looking for crazy speeds either. At least not on my current one. My next one will probably get the Power Up 400 (zoom) though for those days when I really want to tear up the skies.
Then without searching 60+ pages, i'm looking at running 1300 3C packs on it. Or should i go bigger ?
terrasmak is offline Find More Posts by terrasmak
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:02 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
Then without searching 60+ pages, i'm looking at running 1300 3C packs on it. Or should i go bigger ?

Personally, I would use a 2200mah battery with at least 25C (or higher C rating). The 2200mah packs balance out well on the Popwing and you get better flight times. With the 1300mah packs, you'll likely need to add "dead weight" up front and the flight times wont be more than maybe 5 minutes if you fly "sporty" like I usually do.

With my current 1450kv setup, I use about 20A at full throttle and 2200mah 25C Turnigy packs. I'm getting between 10 and 20 minute flights depending on how I manage the throttle. I can "putt around" at half throttle and just float around forever, or I can go wide open for the entire span of the battery and get about 8 minutes per pack.

With the Power Up 400 "zoom" 2200kv, you'll probably be drawing about 28A at full throttle so that will drain your batteries a little faster. You will probably have flight times between 5 and 15 minutes depending on how you manage the throttle while you're flying.

Seeing as the amp draws are up in the high 20's with the power up 400 "zoom", I would recommend the 2200mah 30C packs from Turnigy. $16.52 a piece isn't too bad.

Also, I would get at least a 35A ESC. It's always good to have a little safety margin in there. A 40A ESC would be even better. And there are only two servos so a 2A or 3A "internal bec" should handle that with no trouble at all.

Here's a couple of good ones...

From HeadsUpRC... HURC 40 Amp Brushless Motor ESC w/ 3A BEC
From HobbyKing... H-KING 35A Brushless Motor ESC w/ 2A BEC

Seeing as you will be ordering from HeadsUpRC anyhow, I would probably just get the Hurc 40A. It'll get to your house MUCH sooner and shipping is soooo cheap! And Jeff's customer service is excellent!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit N Run View Post
Personally, I would use a 2200mah battery with at least 25C (or higher C rating)
I looked at this but didn't see how to get a 2200 mounted without getting into very thin foam. I already snapped the nose off once with a 1300 battery which just uses the standard battery pocket. How did you mount the 2200 and keep the nose strong?