SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
For me it is the one Lazertoyz.com has. or similar if you can find something?

reminds me to inspect my wing, make sure the Airlons turn correct?

not looking to do this but will have to figure it out
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:28 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
For me it is the one Lazertoyz.com has. or similar if you can find something?

reminds me to inspect my wing, make sure the Airlons turn correct?

not looking to do this but will have to figure it out
Stick left: Left (elevon) Aileron UP----right one down
Stick right: Right (elevon) Aileron UP-----left one down

Basically, the same as a conventional airplane aileron. The only difference is that they both move together up and down when functioning as an elevator.

Your TX should be set to "DELTA" wing configuration. with a DX6i there is something extra that needs to be looked into or the throw will be less than "full". I have a DX7 so i don't know what it is but it's been posted a bunch. You may need to search that if your using the DX6i. My popwing setup was easy but my resent Assassin build needed the servos reversed in the radio settings, not physically with the wires or channels. Make sure you put the servo connections in the proper RX channels per your manual setup or they will reverse and be wrong no matter what you do until you get the servos in the right channels. Make sure they are in the right channels if your having trouble with them working the wrong way.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Last edited by whirlcap; Dec 31, 2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: more detail...
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:30 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
Any replacement motor suggestions for a mini pop wing?
Depends on what you want? more speed?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:18 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
Quote:
Any replacement motor suggestions for a mini pop wing?
Here is a link to the motor I'm using on my mini popwing....http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...outrunner.html

I fly with a 6x4e prop and a 1000mah 3 cell lipo. Easily 8-10 minute flights. It's no speed demon but it flys great and has unlimited vertical which is fun for me with my keychain camera onboard.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:26 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Here is a link to the motor I'm using on my mini popwing....http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...outrunner.html

I fly with a 6x4e prop and a 1000mah 3 cell lipo. Easily 8-10 minute flights. It's no speed demon but it flys great and has unlimited vertical which is fun for me with my keychain camera onboard.
Not looking for more speed but noticed 1600 kv, is it a lot slower than stock.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:43 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
I bought the mini popwing kit without any electronics so I don't know if it is faster than the stock motor. Judging by the videos on youtube I would say it's faster than stock. How much faster I really couldn't tell you.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:55 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I bought the mini popwing kit without any electronics so I don't know if it is faster than the stock motor. Judging by the videos on youtube I would say it's faster than stock. How much faster I really couldn't tell you.
I think the stock motor is a tiny one. About a Park 180 size. Captain Ron's is a leap above stock. I have flown mine with a Park 180 and it fly's nice. Not fast but quick enough and used 2 cell 300's with it. was a nice light flyer that way. I have also flown it (still setup this way) with a Blue Wonder 1500 kv clone on a 3 cell 800 and a 7x6 SF prop. Rips along well at a nice clip. Maybe in the 50's? (MPH) More fun than the smaller one for me. That 2812 is likely similar. Have not tried other props with the current setup. A higher kv and smaller prop would likely be better suited than what I have though.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:23 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Humm, I have a Park 250 I might try.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:12 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
One other question. Whats the deal with the motor wires loose on the bottom. That does not seem like the best design concept both for drag and whn landing. Are you guys cutting slots to rscess the motor (and battery wires for that matter) or just let them hang?
I close a zip tie around the wires but leave just enough slack to remove 1 wire at a time. Then I CA the zip tie so it won't tighten anymore. I cut the remaining part of the zip tie you normally cut off but leave about 1/2" or 10mm or so and cut it at an angle so it's sharp. Then I poke it into the foam and take it out, put glue on it, and insert it back into the hole I just poked.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:15 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,293 Posts
Quote:
Humm, I have a Park 250 I might try.
I only use my mini indoors so far but I use the 2000kv 10g HK motor. gws 5030 or 5043 with a 500ma battery and 12a esc. balances perfect with a few light strips and flies for 10 minutes with 3.7-3.8v left. I think it can do vertical (hard to test this in a golf dome). With this light weight setup it just flies great. My best indoor flyer. posted a video about 1 page back or so.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:23 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
airborne

Well I got my Popwing flying yesterday but not without some trials and tribulations. I spent time the night before trying to get the balance right at 206mm. This took a fair amount of weight in addition to the 1300 mah nantech battery. I would not fly like that. Way too nose heavy.

So I removed all the nose weight and was then able to get it flying. It took a lot of experimentation and numerous crashes to figure out where the elevons needed to be for neutral flight. The manual does not help at all in that department. An initial spec for the elevons would have been nice.

In the shake down process one elevon hinge tore and the prop knocked a piece of foam out of the back edge.

So in the end, it flew ok with just the battery and zero extra weight

Life in the wing zone.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:28 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
almost sounds like a perfect fun day/ glad you came out with flying colors
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:11 AM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,533 Posts
finished the Bonsai
2550kV w/ 4x4 3s 450mA 30C

AUW= 170grms
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:15 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snolord1 View Post
finished the Bonsai
2550kV w/ 4x4 3s 450mA 30C

AUW= 170grms

That should move along very nicely with that 2550kv brushless.
Let us know how the maiden flight goes.
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:25 AM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,533 Posts
will do,maybe this afternoon
i took a square of 2mm clear plastic and made a see thru flap for the esc/rx compartment
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1