HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:55 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,920 Posts
Thanks for the link.

What kind of speed are you seeing on that setup? I'm hoping to put a camera setup on it eventually so I want to haul a little extra weight and not have it be too much of an issue.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
I use this one... very similar specs. Might save a couple bucks. 6x4 apc.
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:01 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp125racer View Post
Thanks for the link.

What kind of speed are you seeing on that setup? I'm hoping to put a camera setup on it eventually so I want to haul a little extra weight and not have it be too much of an issue.

Don
Never clocked it but here:

pop wing onboard 2 (5 min 36 sec)

and i'm uploading this one. I reduced throws on the servo arms and changed the 808 cam settings. (give it a while to process)

popWingCam (0 min 0 sec)
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Last edited by rocketscience; Dec 14, 2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:15 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,920 Posts
Looks sweet! Thanks for sharing.

Santa needs to place an order for me now

Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:13 AM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
Try adding some reinforcement to your vertical stabs. They are pretty flimsy and might be flapping in the wind a little. If you have a key chain cam, stick it on the wing pointing to where you think you might be getting the flutter and see what is doing it the easy way.

Edit: I just re read your post. You are saying you can see them flutter from the ground?
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:32 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolya View Post
Try adding some reinforcement to your vertical stabs. They are pretty flimsy and might be flapping in the wind a little. If you have a key chain cam, stick it on the wing pointing to where you think you might be getting the flutter and see what is doing it the easy way.

Edit: I just re read your post. You are saying you can see them flutter from the ground?
Yep. I fly it right in my yard most of the time. And I do a lot of high speed low passes so it's fairly easy to see the "flutter" when it happens.

But I like the key chain cam idea. That might shed a little light on things when you're right up and personal with the wing.

Speaking of those key chain cams..... Who has the best prices on them?
Also, I know some models are better quality than others as far as resolution and all that. Which one is considered the best one?

We can keep that part of this to PM's so we're not hijacking the thread.

Thanks.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:47 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,307 Posts
here's all the info you ever need. I like the HD wide angle one (#16 HD wide angle). Check for updates though. They come out with a new one every minute it seems.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=50&page=10000

here's a video with the camera under the brim of my hat. Flying of course.. the mini popwing.

mini pop wing in the dome 1 (5 min 36 sec)
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
the control surfaces on this are somewhat flimsy too, you could easily get flutter with no loose linkage due to the foam just flexing.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:11 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,791 Posts
Quote:
the control surfaces on this are somewhat flimsy too, you could easily get flutter with no loose linkage due to the foam just flexing.
Well, the winds are decent today (7 to 10mph) so i'll be flying down at the club field in a couple hours. I will adjust the CG a little each way and run through a battery pack at each adjustment. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

If it still does the fluttering, then i'm going to consider running a strip of balsa on each elevon to stiffen them up. If THAT doesn't do it then i'm just going to chalk it up to "airframe potential" and that they just can't take those high-G maneuvers without the occasional elevon flutter here and there.

I'm running an RCTimer BC2208-14 (1450kv) brushless with a 7X6 prop so there's plenty of torque coming out of it. Possibly part of the cause of the flutter. Speeds are guesstimated around 50 to 55mph at WOT. Nothing crazy by any means for a wing like this, but still maybe past the limit for stable flight? We shall see....
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
I am on my second popwing now. The last one i went into a dive and full speed and it destroyed its self in flutter. It was significantly reenforced too. Im guess it was at about 70mph when it went nuts. I still landed it pretty smoothly, so the electronics made it.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:36 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
I am on my second popwing now. The last one i went into a dive and full speed and it destroyed its self in flutter. It was significantly reenforced too. Im guess it was at about 70mph when it went nuts. I still landed it pretty smoothly, so the electronics made it.
Make your next wing an Assassin, it will take direct dives into the ground In stride.. Not to say the Popwing isn't a great wing, I have one of each.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:39 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
I finished adding leds to my mid-sized Popwing. It came out great. I can't wait to fly it.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:56 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Interesting layout.
My problem is keeping up with top and bottom.
All you have is the blue tips to tell.
Let us know how it goes.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:25 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
Those blue LEDs are super bright so I should be able to tell top from bottom. Most of the time I will be looking at the bottom of the plane while flying so it should be ok. It's windy and rainy now so maybe I can fly it later in the week.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Short little video of my PopWing w/808 cam mounted on top.

Pop-Wing 900 takes to the sky (1 min 41 sec)
SpinningProp is offline Find More Posts by SpinningProp
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:44 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
Great video!