SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:13 AM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post

Also, when I flew it today I noticed something that I noticed a few months ago when I flew it - I have to fly with up elevator. I mean, I always have to pull the right stick down a little to keep the nose up. I was using a 2200 mah battery. How do I fix this so it will fly level with my right stick in neutral position? Do I have too much weight on the nose or too much in the back?
Trim it with a little up elevator. From what i understand its a flying wing thing. Ive been told they all need it.
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:17 AM
Near-Earth object
United States, NC, Castle Hayne
Joined Sep 2012
179 Posts
Quote:
I ordered the pop wing with a motor and servos and all that. I don't remember the prop that came with it. It broke a few months ago when I tried a larger motor and it smashed right into the ground. I haven't flown it since until I tried it today with the motor that came with it.

The instructions say to use a motor that is T2208 KV 1370 and suggests a prop 7050E or 6050E. When I ordered my pop wing they sent me a motor that is AS2208-15 KV 1260.

I'm happy to say that I made my own prop saver and put on a prop that is 6x3E. I did get it to fly for the first time in months using the stock 1260 KV motor. I have to say though that it seemed like it took full or nearly full throttle to launch it. I think the prop might be too small. Anybody agree? I have another prop that I thought about trying - a 7x5E prop. Would that prop be too big or the right size? What is the perfect sized prop for the motor I have (AS2208-15 KV 1260)?

I crashed my electric glider that has all my led lights on it today. My original plan was to master this wing and then put led lights on it. Now that my glider will be out of action for a month or so while I fix the wings I want to put led lights on my pop wing.

Also, when I flew it today I noticed something that I noticed a few months ago when I flew it - I have to fly with up elevator. I mean, I always have to pull the right stick down a little to keep the nose up. I was using a 2200 mah battery. How do I fix this so it will fly level with my right stick in neutral position? Do I have too much weight on the nose or too much in the back?

I love flying this thing. I can slow it down and almost land it at my feet. I hope I can get good enough to fly at night. I think it's a perfect night flyer - small enough to fit in the back seat and take to a park in town; hop out of the car and pull the wing out real fast and fly at night for about five minutes and then land, throw it in the back seat and drive off and wait and see if anybody reports UFOs in the local newspaper!
HoosierGuy... Whew! Where to start. Let's at least get you some stress free flying.

1. To deal with the need for constant elevator input(pulling right stick down) adjust the trim on your transmitter until you no longer have to make constant corrections. Popwings need reflex(up elevator) just to get them to fly level. When you have that set, take notice of the position of the elevons. Now center the trim on your radio and manually adjust the elevons to the position you had for stable flight. I set my Popwing on a couple of short 1"X1" to get my measurements and make my adjustments. I will take a picture and put in my next post.

2. Using a 2200 mAh battery is okay. That is all I use. For the extra weight the flight time really is great. Also, it helps balance out the center of gravity. Speaking of which. The COG on a wing is super critical. Mine is balanced at 205 mm from the tip of the nose.

3. Your prop selection. With that motor I had a GWS 8X4 prop and it flew. No great performance. I tried a GWS 8X6 and it helped some but the motor is to small to get any decent rpm out of it. I now have that motor on a smaller wing and an APC 7X5 and it performs very well.
bluecnc is offline Find More Posts by bluecnc
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:28 AM
Near-Earth object
United States, NC, Castle Hayne
Joined Sep 2012
179 Posts
Quote:
Here is the picture.

Name: 001.jpg
Views: 183
Size: 190.4 KB
Description:

Now to finish my coffee and get to the soccer field before the kids do to get in some flight time.

See ya!
bluecnc is offline Find More Posts by bluecnc
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
794 Posts
It was a little too windy today but I tried to fly my pop wing again with that 7x5 prop. My brother tossed it across the wind and it went down into the ground near his feet. Then he tossed it into the wind and off it went. I kept it up and flew it OK for about five minutes then the wind grabbed it and I hit the ground. No damage at all though. I do have the leading edge covered with that goop stuff. Everything else was fine. I could have flown again but it was too windy. I found out want I wanted though - it will fly with that 7x5. So next weekend if it's warm and not windy I will see if I can fly it again!

I do need to work on my dual rates and expo. What dual rates and expo does everyone like to use for really smooth easy flight?
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:29 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,253 Posts
Quote:
It was a little too windy today but I tried to fly my pop wing again with that 7x5 prop. My brother tossed it across the wind and it went down into the ground near his feet. Then he tossed it into the wind and off it went. I kept it up and flew it OK for about five minutes then the wind grabbed it and I hit the ground. No damage at all though. I do have the leading edge covered with that goop stuff. Everything else was fine. I could have flown again but it was too windy. I found out want I wanted though - it will fly with that 7x5. So next weekend if it's warm and not windy I will see if I can fly it again!

I do need to work on my dual rates and expo. What dual rates and expo does everyone like to use for really smooth easy flight?
I don't use dual rates but do use 40% positive expo. I've hear of guys using as much as 70% positive. I like agressive control throws available at all times myself. Not always the best thing with a new model or type though.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:44 AM
Fly til dark
United States, IN, Bourbon
Joined Nov 2011
147 Posts
I am putting together my first ever flying wing. It is the 47 inch popwing. I am looking for any helpful hints to start. I am wanting to use either 1800 or 2200s for battery and I have a dx6i. It also seems there is a lot of talk that the motor it comes with is too small?
jfuller1250 is offline Find More Posts by jfuller1250
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:06 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
776 Posts
GoPro FPV Popwing with center pod

My first Popwing was/is for FPV....using a Gopro and more powerful motor..
build took me just a day and its one of my favorites already....and I have many FPV planes, wings, and multis....

4mm coroplast (election sign)center section
carbon arrow shaft reinforcement
EMP C3530-1700 motor with 7x5E prop
Storm Cyclops OSD
5.8G VTX
Gopro live feed
FrSky LRS RX
3s 2200mah Lipo

rather than cluttering this thread up...you can see the build thread at

http://teamctx.com/viewtopic.php?f=1...ea648cc196af6e

have been flying it for the last few days tweaking the Cyclops Storm OSD/Stabilizer...been tossing the videos until I get it perfected....tomorrow should give some good videos and will post in that thread and my YouTube Account....

I liked this plane so much that I bought another just as a spare, but with 10 or so 15-20 min flights so far, and no signs of any wear, this first build will last a long time
Atx_Heli is offline Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:08 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,552 Posts
Yikes, that thing must be fast. Mine is on a 1300kv motor and 7x5 prop and that's pushing the limits of this thing!

Otherwise, looks good! I used 5.8 too at one point, that 600mw same vTX. First though, was 2.4 and now 1.3 for video. Enjoy! These things are a blast!

https://sites.google.com/site/djopro.../thefpvproject

Dan
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Montreal and New Hampshire 2014
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:11 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Yikes, that thing must be fast. Mine is on a 1300kv motor and 7x5 prop and that's pushing the limits of this thing!
With the blocky Gopro up front, it limits the speed a lot....on half discharged battery I only get about 60mph...at 25A...I cruise at 40mph at ~8A....

I can replace the Gopro with a CCD and up the battery to 3300mah and not change the CG, will see how fast that goes....

video from this morning...it lands at under 10mph....wind was off and on and I had been landing it at my feet all morning....the last flight, I overshot some when the wind dies, and scared my flying buddy by putting it on top of his ground station...at 10mph and under 2 lbs, it doesnt do much damage to itself ....or anything else!

Gopro PopWing FPV (2 min 24 sec)
Atx_Heli is offline Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
794 Posts
Flew my pop wing this evening when the sun was going down. It was getting dark so I had about six minutes to fly. I tried trimming it. I had to use up all the elevator trim (added up elevator) but that helped a lot. But right then it was too dang dark to fly so I had to land it. I think once I get this trimmed nicely I'll be able to be more aggrive in the air. Also I just checked the battery I used - 2200mah 3 cell. I flew it for about ten to twelve minutes and still have 85% battery left. Nice!

Now I need to mechanically trim my pop wing and go from there!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
794 Posts
Flying my popwing makes me want to get a larger flying wing. I want something giant now! lol.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:55 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Flying my popwing makes me want to get a larger flying wing. I want something giant now! lol.
There's always the 1200mm 48" Popwing.
I need to build mine some day.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Not sure if this has been talked about....I'm sure it has, I just haven't searched.
After repairing my PW900 following a major crash which required quite a bit of glue
I decided to check the CG down the center line (front to back) to see if both halves were balanced. It was way off !!
It must have been off even before the crash, (I had never checked it before) because I had to add 8grams of weight right next to the left wing servo to balance it perfectly. There's no way I used 8grams of glue doing the repair! I kept the weight right on the 'fore & aft CG line' so it wouldn't throw that off.
A cold front just blew in early this morning, so it will be a couple of days before I can fly it again. I like this 900 so much that I just ordered the 1200.
SpinningProp is offline Find More Posts by SpinningProp
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:49 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,279 Posts
Didn't even know this thread was around..

I have both the regular sized one (white - I painted it) and the mini.

regular has hurc zoom 400 with 6x4 apc, 2200 3S

mini has hk 1811 2000kv motor with 5043 and 500ma 3S.

Both have lights. The mini is amazing. vertical performance (will hover in my hand with nose pushing on my palm). And with varied throttle - full and mid stick, I can fly it in the golf dome for a full 10 minutes. And that's with quite a bit of full throttle. I did replace the carbon links with thicker music wire and mini ez connectors for adjustability. I'll have to get some video of the mini. I have some on-board using the #16 808 keychain HD cam for the regular sized one.

video

rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:22 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinningProp View Post
Not sure if this has been talked about....I'm sure it has, I just haven't searched.
After repairing my PW900 following a major crash which required quite a bit of glue
I decided to check the CG down the center line (front to back) to see if both halves were balanced. It was way off !!
It must have been off even before the crash, (I had never checked it before) because I had to add 8grams of weight right next to the left wing servo to balance it perfectly. There's no way I used 8grams of glue doing the repair! I kept the weight right on the 'fore & aft CG line' so it wouldn't throw that off.
A cold front just blew in early this morning, so it will be a couple of days before I can fly it again. I like this 900 so much that I just ordered the 1200.
I had the same problem. What I did was put a nickle on the outside tip in a slot I cut and hot glued it in.
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy