SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:58 AM
Near-Earth object
United States, NC, Castle Hayne
Joined Sep 2012
179 Posts
Farewell Popwing

Pilot error contributed to this mishap. Poor thing corkscrewed right into the pine tree. Oh Honey! I have a new project! Hehe. Good thing I have another one. Putting it together right now.

Popwing Final Moments (1 min 22 sec)
bluecnc is online now Find More Posts by bluecnc
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:00 PM
Registered User
mycaptain's Avatar
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Jan 2012
297 Posts
bluecnc... Well, you had a nice video going till the end. Video was too short! At least you had a smile on your face, and they still sell 'em. I lost my 900 pop wing on its second flight. No smile on my face. I just bought a new one on Cyber Monday. Thanks for sharing and sorry for your loss... Capt'n Ron
mycaptain is offline Find More Posts by mycaptain
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:37 PM
Near-Earth object
United States, NC, Castle Hayne
Joined Sep 2012
179 Posts
Thanks Capt'n Ron...That isn't the first time I have crashed my poor wing. This time it was almost caught on camera though. Actually, this is the first time I decided to video some of my flights so I thought it was a little ironic to have such a major wipe out. No worries though. I have taken the electronics and put them on a new Popwing. See photo. If the weather is good I will maiden it tomorrow. The other wing in the picture is made from Adams foam board($tree). It is a blast to fly and if I break it I just make another. I have a video of me flying it on the 'show your wings' thread. Enjoy.

Name: My wings.jpg
Views: 141
Size: 153.3 KB
Description:
bluecnc is online now Find More Posts by bluecnc
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
Registered User
Schoolya's Avatar
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
top battery is where it is at.
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:27 AM
Near-Earth object
United States, NC, Castle Hayne
Joined Sep 2012
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolya View Post
top battery is where it is at.
+1 on that. I have distorted two batteries because I came in hard(unintentional landing) on the bottom of the nose. A little surgery on the foam and glue in a piece of ply is good insurance.

I took the wing out for a maiden flight this morning. Even though there were 13 mph winds, after a few clicks on the DX6i, she flew like a dream. Only thing is, I forgot how much these things stink. Airing the truck out right now. Now it is stinking up the house. I may have to banish it to the shed for a while.

Happy flying folks.
bluecnc is online now Find More Posts by bluecnc
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:51 PM
JOHN 3:16
Sammy70's Avatar
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,429 Posts
They seem to stink when they get heated up by the sun, baking in a car, etc...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
Registered User
neato4u's Avatar
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
336 Posts
I tend to lost orientation with the popwing.. especially if it goes a bit further ...
Can't tell which one is up and bottom left or right...
So I usually fly it near to me so I can see
neato4u is offline Find More Posts by neato4u
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:39 PM
Registered User
Schoolya's Avatar
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
Oddly, my green one stunk. Orange one, not that I notice. Who knows.
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:10 PM
Registered User
mycaptain's Avatar
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Jan 2012
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolya View Post
Oddly, my green one stunk. Orange one, not that I notice. Who knows.
You are so right! My green 900 pop wing stinks, and my orange yellow one doesn't. Go figure... Capt'n Ron
mycaptain is offline Find More Posts by mycaptain
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:45 AM
Registered User
mycaptain's Avatar
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Jan 2012
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecnc View Post
Thanks Capt'n Ron...That isn't the first time I have crashed my poor wing. This time it was almost caught on camera though. Actually, this is the first time I decided to video some of my flights so I thought it was a little ironic to have such a major wipe out. No worries though. I have taken the electronics and put them on a new Popwing. See photo. If the weather is good I will maiden it tomorrow. The other wing in the picture is made from Adams foam board($tree). It is a blast to fly and if I break it I just make another. I have a video of me flying it on the 'show your wings' thread. Enjoy.

Attachment 5334289
bluecnc... Which one of these 2 wings is the easiest to fly? Someday I would like to build a wing, but right now I'm trying to get the hang of these pop wings. I tried to find the "show your wings" thread to view your video but so far no luck... Capt'n Ron
mycaptain is offline Find More Posts by mycaptain
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:59 PM
Near-Earth object
United States, NC, Castle Hayne
Joined Sep 2012
179 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2136

Capt'n Ron... I find either wing has it's own rewards. My 30"wing is good for that need for speed. The Popwing is more relaxing and easier to see. The video that I have in my post is best viewed on a computer. The sun was going down and I needed my flight fix. I have been working on a drawing for the $tree wing. Enjoy.
bluecnc is online now Find More Posts by bluecnc
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:20 PM
Registered User
HoosierGuy's Avatar
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Hey all! I have not flown my 35 inch pop wing in a few months. I've been busy flying my electric glider with led lights at night. Now I want to put lights on my pop wing and fly it at night. I have a few questions: Can anyone recommend an upgrade motor and prop combination that will provide enough power to fly the wing with led lights on it?

Thanks!
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:26 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
DJO's Avatar
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
What motor/prop are you running now? I've had quite a bit of FPV weight on this plane without an issue, and that's 1300kv and 7x5 prop.



Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: WASP 280 Mini Quad
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:31 AM
Registered User
HoosierGuy's Avatar
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
What motor/prop are you running now? I've had quite a bit of FPV weight on this plane without an issue, and that's 1300kv and 7x5 prop.



Dan


I ordered the pop wing with a motor and servos and all that. I don't remember the prop that came with it. It broke a few months ago when I tried a larger motor and it smashed right into the ground. I haven't flown it since until I tried it today with the motor that came with it.

The instructions say to use a motor that is T2208 KV 1370 and suggests a prop 7050E or 6050E. When I ordered my pop wing they sent me a motor that is AS2208-15 KV 1260.

I'm happy to say that I made my own prop saver and put on a prop that is 6x3E. I did get it to fly for the first time in months using the stock 1260 KV motor. I have to say though that it seemed like it took full or nearly full throttle to launch it. I think the prop might be too small. Anybody agree? I have another prop that I thought about trying - a 7x5E prop. Would that prop be too big or the right size? What is the perfect sized prop for the motor I have (AS2208-15 KV 1260)?

I crashed my electric glider that has all my led lights on it today. My original plan was to master this wing and then put led lights on it. Now that my glider will be out of action for a month or so while I fix the wings I want to put led lights on my pop wing.

Also, when I flew it today I noticed something that I noticed a few months ago when I flew it - I have to fly with up elevator. I mean, I always have to pull the right stick down a little to keep the nose up. I was using a 2200 mah battery. How do I fix this so it will fly level with my right stick in neutral position? Do I have too much weight on the nose or too much in the back?

I love flying this thing. I can slow it down and almost land it at my feet. I hope I can get good enough to fly at night. I think it's a perfect night flyer - small enough to fit in the back seat and take to a park in town; hop out of the car and pull the wing out real fast and fly at night for about five minutes and then land, throw it in the back seat and drive off and wait and see if anybody reports UFOs in the local newspaper!
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:49 AM
Registered User
smitty919's Avatar
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
I ordered the pop wing with a motor and servos and all that. I don't remember the prop that came with it. It broke a few months ago when I tried a larger motor and it smashed right into the ground. I haven't flown it since until I tried it today with the motor that came with it.

The instructions say to use a motor that is T2208 KV 1370 and suggests a prop 7050E or 6050E. When I ordered my pop wing they sent me a motor that is AS2208-15 KV 1260.

I'm happy to say that I made my own prop saver and put on a prop that is 6x3E. I did get it to fly for the first time in months using the stock 1260 KV motor. I have to say though that it seemed like it took full or nearly full throttle to launch it. I think the prop might be too small. Anybody agree? I have another prop that I thought about trying - a 7x5E prop. Would that prop be too big or the right size? What is the perfect sized prop for the motor I have (AS2208-15 KV 1260)?

I crashed my electric glider that has all my led lights on it today. My original plan was to master this wing and then put led lights on it. Now that my glider will be out of action for a month or so while I fix the wings I want to put led lights on my pop wing.

Also, when I flew it today I noticed something that I noticed a few months ago when I flew it - I have to fly with up elevator. I mean, I always have to pull the right stick down a little to keep the nose up. I was using a 2200 mah battery. How do I fix this so it will fly level with my right stick in neutral position? Do I have too much weight on the nose or too much in the back?

I love flying this thing. I can slow it down and almost land it at my feet. I hope I can get good enough to fly at night. I think it's a perfect night flyer - small enough to fit in the back seat and take to a park in town; hop out of the car and pull the wing out real fast and fly at night for about five minutes and then land, throw it in the back seat and drive off and wait and see if anybody reports UFOs in the local newspaper!
Ha ha careful what you with for with the night flying i have a super cup all done up in lights love it and boy does it create a bunch of UFO sightings so may that the police tracked me down.
They thought the plane was awesome but now when i fly at night i need to call the police dept to let them know in in the air and no need to chase UFO calls....
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Techone models?? lectroglide Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 5 Aug 07, 2011 01:54 PM
Sold Techone Energy EPP Foamy Wattsup23 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Mar 31, 2011 03:28 AM
Sold Techone Piaget 3D EPP New in box $45 shipped! Lindy757 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 17, 2011 11:01 PM
Discussion TechOne F3P??? cglynn Indoor Pattern/F3P 6 Mar 11, 2011 01:24 PM
Question techone malibu 2 or techone aeolus? genesis96 Indoor Pattern/F3P 16 Jan 19, 2011 01:02 PM