SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:46 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,258 Posts
Not bad DJO!
Full down input is require on lift off for my semi vertical take offs. Otherwise it does a loop right into the ground, or in your case, your hand
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:47 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,568 Posts
Thanks!

But I kinda like it how it takes off horizontally AND upside-down

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: WASP 280 Mini Quad
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:26 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
As long as you keek it safe DJO

Whirl cap. I seem on page 42 snow wing his push rods are angled like we talked about and how I should keep em lined up like told.

On pg 39 I watched a vid. Also locating the other one on set up dx6i

Makes me wanna get this wing going

Post 675 pg 45 shows me the how to set up. Exactly what I read and told me to look for. Great job. Thanks guys
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 13, 2012 at 07:37 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
As long as you keek it safe DJO

Whirl cap. I seem on page 42 snow wing his push rods are angled like we talked about and how I should keep em lined up like told.

On pg 39 I watched a vid. Also locating the other one on set up dx6i

Makes me wanna get this wing going

Post 675 pg 45 shows me the how to set up. Exactly what I read and told me to look for. Great job. Thanks guys
Glad to hear you found that, different than my DX7. Angled rods work fine but just look better if they are straight. Also figure it could help from getting snagged. I flew mine into a tree not paying attention a couple weeks ago and it just kind of slid and tumbled all the way to the ground. . I hit about 15 feet up, could have been a climb situation was my fault, got distracted for a moment watching my buddies wing. I need to fly! Been cold and I've been too busy. Got another trip out to the California coast again coming up, going to try to get that Pismo Beach video! Last time I could not find the time. Maybe this time. it will have to be with the mini as my platform, hopefully I will get something good if I get it done.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Glad to hear you found that, different than my DX7. Angled rods work fine but just look better if they are straight. Also figure it could help from getting snagged. I flew mine into a tree not paying attention a couple weeks ago and it just kind of slid and tumbled all the way to the ground. . I hit about 15 feet up, could have been a climb situation was my fault, got distracted for a moment watching my buddies wing. I need to fly! Been cold and I've been too busy. Got another trip out to the California coast again coming up, going to try to get that Pismo Beach video! Last time I could not find the time. Maybe this time. it will have to be with the mini as my platform, hopefully I will get something good if I get it done.
I heard ya.

I will be only taking my champ on my tour. And Pop wing is a winter project.

As long as we stand clear of the trees we have nothing to worry about. I see getting push rods making then flush to the epp foam with a few bends. May not be worth it

Following that vid and wished the LCD was more visa le. Poorly designed for my eyes.

Yes to California a d some flights will be awesome but what if something goes wrong. Time permits. I hear ya that be awesome

I asked Dan a long time ago he told me a out the paints used. And we'll it is a thought for me painting the bottom with words.

For me my champ, off topic a new build will be a winter plane and get so
E more flights. I have calmed down some with height. And guess the key am 808 lens d show like we are high up.

Well thanks again whirlcap As I noted those horns they are angled. And not straight. I got my work cut out for me ha ha ha

Fishycomics
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Got my prop Saver and mount screws thanks guys.

Will need to now take the time to match up the motor holes to mount. I may either ace a layer of glue or rubber cement to hd in place

Thanks

Fishycomics
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:18 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,986 Posts
Fishy, picture 1 is correct. The aileron horn should be mounted so that the outer most horn hole is over the hinge line. In nuetral position the servo arm should be at 90* to the servo. The ailerons should both have some up reflex, not flat and level with the bottom of the wing surface. Maybe 3-5* up. This is normal for wings. Remember CG is critical. Good luck.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Fishy, picture 1 is correct. The aileron horn should be mounted so that the outer most horn hole is over the hinge line. In nuetral position the servo arm should be at 90* to the servo. The ailerons should both have some up reflex, not flat and level with the bottom of the wing surface. Maybe 3-5* up. This is normal for wings. Remember CG is critical. Good luck.

Blu
Thank you BluHammer.

I will recheck my work, to the info you provided. I think the Horn on the Airlons fall about 1/8th " or so to the front?

Understanding what you are saying If the horn meets the Hinge line, it will be a perfect up and down movement, correct, if it is off by 1/8" I think it would be a little pressure on the Hinge.? I will recheck that

The Airlons,

Thank you making sure I do that have UP vs down, to the wing, and not flush. I watched a video, and it said that?

CG

I need to balance on one point. or can I balance with two points? I think I will be able to get it close

Thanks Blu, appreciate all the advice thanks yo

FISHYCOMICS

got my goop, to the wing, but need to watch my video and correct before I make thins perminant.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,258 Posts
You can use two sticks/pencils etc for checking CG. There is a small acceptable CG range and it does state that in the manual. I made a couple sharpie pen dots and use my finger tips usually. The rx and ESC sit pretty much on the center of CG and you balance your motor weight with the size battery that get the CG right. For me, with a similar motor, a 3s 800 mah was just right. Small CG adjustments can always be done with a small weight Velcro'd to the battery or attach something to the motor mount if that end is light. I also use a mix of battery sizes I have on hand and use weights with the smaller ones to keep the balance right.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Thanks Whirlcap.

It is funny how the instructions show it yep I figured it be that two points not a problem.

The Kit I bought would be just that, matched up. from Lazer toyz kit feature 7 if not then they should specify, and I am sure they meant good. And they are good.

I have completed the build, where I stand, waiting for the orange rx, attaching the cables, and centering the CG

The goop is a trip, as soon as it is out of the tube man it dried before I can spread it on , Lol

I gooped the fences on. I gooped the servos I gooped the horns, I ca'd the motor mount, and then gooped around it. I did a gooped job.

I am HAPPY, but again no rush to go out and fly it. I made the video's and well I just did a quick job, and hope we all can understand, I am pressed for time on some things and felt it gets the point across. Will edit them later , thanks Whirlcap, and BluHammer.

Snuck on a 5043 prop, and have the 6" on the side. sunk in the servo wire left red on one side and orange other side. and glued ca and goop on and around motor. just the esc and bat.
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 14, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:59 PM
Near-Earth object
United States, NC, Castle Hayne
Joined Sep 2012
179 Posts
Homemade C of G machine

Like Bluhammer and whirlcap have already stated, getting the center of gravity correct will make the difference between a successful flight or a complete disaster. That being said, here is a photo of my COG checker. I have been building my own wings out of $Tree foam board and it has been indispensable. It cost a little over $7.00 to make.

Name: 006.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 114.6 KB
Description:

Here is a shot of all the separate components(the adjustable wrench, pipe cutter and drill bit were not included in the cost of materials).

Name: 011.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 113.7 KB
Description:

Here is what the drill bit was for. Make the hole a little larger so the carriage bolt(1/4"X20X6") will fit through.

Name: 001.jpg
Views: 74
Size: 123.1 KB
Description:

Here is what the adjustable wrench is for. Leverage to thread the carriage bolt into the plastic pipe hanger. Keep it straight and do a little at a time until it reaches the other side. You may have to back it out a few times. Be careful not to cross thread it. Also, before final assembly put on the 1/4"X20 wing nuts.

Name: 003.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 132.4 KB
Description:

Next step is to assemble all your pieces. Nothing I have is glued together, just held in place by friction. Speaking of friction. The plastic pipe hanger clamped to the pvc pipe tend to slip easily. But it works good for lighter planes. I may add some rubber material between the pipe and hanger in the future.

Name: 004.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 103.8 KB
Description:
Name: 005.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 101.7 KB
Description:

Tada! Finished product.

Name: 084.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 109.7 KB
Description:
bluecnc is offline Find More Posts by bluecnc
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:07 PM
Near-Earth object
United States, NC, Castle Hayne
Joined Sep 2012
179 Posts
Looks good fishycomics. With that motor it should go pretty good.
bluecnc is offline Find More Posts by bluecnc
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecnc View Post
Looks good fishycomics. With that motor it should go pretty good.
Thank you bluecnc:

Excited to get it built. I can complete the project, and I think I will , tear out my orange from my other plane, and get it done.

I like that set up. thank you a excellent design, simple and to the point. I think I will figure out a simplier solution of what I have around the house. two bottles and two pencils and some tape.

Yes I will take my time to CG it for sure. the instructions just are not 100% clear enough Lol.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:12 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,568 Posts
Here's my newly modified FPV PopWing at the moment... cam will be mounted very soon, FPV gear will be mounted once it arrives and it's all tested/soldered up. As you can see... I did a ton of mods. All gear is now on the top. Same electronics though. Servos mounted sideways and flush to the foam - cut out so that they'd fit in. Elevons were ripped off and re-hinged with good, strong reinforcement tape. Getting more movement now from the elevons and less binding from the servos (Solar A107's) than before with the foam hinges.

Can't wait to maiden! Probably added a little (JUST a little) weight from the extra hot glue... but it looks like it's going to fly awesome

And here's some pictures from the last flights, that video that you guys liked (Blue Skies Flying) My brother took some pics too...

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: WASP 280 Mini Quad
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Looks awesome. can't wait to ee the remaiden. good luck

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1768295