HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:42 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
Fishy,
Goop and shoe goo are the same stuff so I am told. Either product will do. I found goop at Lowes recently and bought the 1oz tube they had for about 3 bucks. Wal Mart had a package of about four crafting products all in small tubes, one was goop and I about used it up just putting on the winglets and two or three small tear repairs. I have yet to have any part of my mini actually separate from the wing, all damage has been minor. I even kept flying one day with a piece of painters blue tape holding a nose crack stable at the park. It was all I had on hand at the time. I let goop dry over night when I use it. Simple straight pins are what I use with it if the part needs holding. I didn't video my first flight, wish I had, it was funny . Went straight up and nearly hit me as it rolled over and came straight back down. that was the one that needed hot glue to put the battery tray back in firmly. Learned goop was better for this plane after that. Another product called "Foam Tac" is also real good but hard to find. It's highly recommended by a friend that flys EPP 3D foamies.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:32 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
Another vertical take off video.
Mini Popwing Vertical Take-off (1 min 59 sec)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:27 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Whirl Man that was an awesome launch, and almost a great catch
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:14 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
That one did go up perfectly. A few of the other guys at the park have the larger ones, I think the 900's with bigger than stock motors. One of them did a vertical TO and it pretty much went straight up with just a tad of torque roll. Mine needs full down input and as it rolls upright, I then have an easy transition to normal flight. It's predictable but at such low airspeed, it won't start out going straight up rocket style. I need to pick up some more props and the one I'm using is a SF 6x5. I need to try some of the GWS style ones and maybe a 5043 and see how the thrust is. I am limited by my 1500kv motor, should have a 2000 kv in the same size probably for this plane. Just my best guess though, still learning the technical spec stuff.

The catch is harder than it looks, I often get it but don't squeeze my grip fast enough and it bounces out of my hand.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Read about the 5043 prop, here, ordered, and got the champ one's. no big deal. Will match up correct set for the pop wing later.

To catch it I understand, a few good tries and you are good. I guess it is a knack, when you find that sweet spot?

My build is coming along. I started a Mini pop wing thread And will see how it picks up?

I have to wait for these set screws , and need to drill the correct screw holes for the motor plate now.

I am near completion, without gluing? and doing good. I placed the servos on top and popped the horns on. I may look for a better set up then just glue, maybe a locking tab? Will see.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
I am not stumped. As per instructions, I followed no. 5 Use knife to cut slot along the ruler for installing the control horns. Size please refer to above picture. 65mm = 2.55 inch

I measured from the leading inner edge and as well made sure the servo matched up? By looking at the actual pop wing, and the picture I am on the money.

The horn lies on an angle of the flap?

I feel the servo is cut wrong and should be on a 90 degree cut, and not 45 degree cut, meaning, if you take a look at a pop wing, you understand what I mean, I may not be explaining It right?

Either I can rotate the servo horn, or add a better rod and push rod fast connector, or cut another hole.

If the servo needs changing to another location CG is off.

If rotating the servo arm be the alternative

If adding push rod fast connector the angle is corrected? I am suprized reading the thread I may have missed this or not asked?

Thanks in advance for any advice guys. corrections in video will have to be made again lol
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Exactly which Goop glue will be the one to get? so I can pick up some thanks guys

Whirlcap answered.
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 11, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:46 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Exactly which Goop glue will be the one to get? so I can pick up some thanks guys
Looks like picture 1 is correct. Horn holes for the rods should be at the hinge line as it looks to be in that picture (the one that is 301.8 kb) rods going straight back in line with flight direction is also good, makes snagging something harder if you hit trees or bushes.

Goop is the name, also sold as Shoe Goo. Check hardware stores and Wal-Mart type stores for it. Shouldn't be too hard to find.. Craft stores too.

Almost forgot... I use the long small screws that come with servos to mount motors, never mount the servos with them, usually use a dab of hot glue to keep the servo in place along with a slightly small mount hole that almost holds the servo without even needing glue.
Last edited by whirlcap; Nov 11, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Looks like picture 1 is correct. Horn holes for the rods should be at the hinge line as it looks to be in that picture (the one that is 301.8 kb) rods going straight back in line with flight direction is also good, makes snagging something harder if you hit trees or bushes.

Goop is the name, also sold as Shoe Goo. Check hardware stores and Wal-Mart type stores for it. Shouldn't be too hard to find.. Craft stores too.

Almost forgot... I use the long small screws that come with servos to mount motors, never mount the servos with them, usually use a dab of hot glue to keep the servo in place along with a slightly small mount hole that almost holds the servo without even needing glue.
Mental note Shoe Goo, local Ace hardware, will have it?

1st picture, perfect.

Just the angle through me for a loop, and as well looking at a 900mm pop,
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:01 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
Ace may have the stuff. Same as Michael's craft stores too, if they have them out you way. Noticed the manual picture you posted. seems they are showing a blank wing that has no paint on it perhaps and makes it look like it is showing the bottom of the wing and control rods on the bottom. Not correct and will get damage from landings, rods and horns go on the painted side but you already know that by now.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Thanks Whirlcap.
makes sense now DUH! will confirm later. And that is it you are good my friend thanks a million, simple mistake caught early.

It is a common mistake, as instructions never clearly said which was top, and thought the white in the picture was bottom?

Hope others will not make the same mistake I did, I at least learned from it. thanks Bud
Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 11, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:48 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
I'm jumping back and forth between the two threads Fishy... sorry about that. Sounds like you have picked out a good motor. I think your going to want about a 800mah 3s battery for good flight time and proper CG without needing to add any weight or move anything around on the wing. If you don't already have your battery picked out, you can add coins or something over the battery tray on top and weigh them when the CG is right, then shop for 3s batteries by their weight. That should get you very close. I can fly my mini with my Rhino 360mah 3s batteries I have also but have to add a weight with them or it will be too tail heavy to fly. My perfect weight battery is that blue one, the 800mah and it fits about perfectly in the tray. I can fly for 20 minutes on the 800, the 360's are good for about 10.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1768295

Why I made this thread in the wing seperating the Pop wing, and Mini Pop wing

As igot mine from lazertoyz.com feature 7 has it all whirl. only thing I have to purchaseis a rx, and use my tx.

the guess is all taken out. They are the same plane from nitroplanes, and the same one johnymegg has they all hav their special love added to it best of all, it is the same techone. that is my opinion. am sure of it? but heck may never know.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:06 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
PopWing Blue Skies Flying with Ben + Mom (3 min 36 sec)

Dan
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: WASP 280 Mini Quad
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Whirlcap makes it look so easy, Nice catch on take off