HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:01 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
That's a good thought but being a park, I'd be a bit afraid of leaving a rod sticking up out of the ground for some one to trip or fall on unless you mean the rod is used as a prop and falls over on launch?
The dowel(s) are used as a prop, I have used one in the middle and I have used two, one each on the outer wing away from the prop, both ways work. Of course this assumes that you have souped up the motor/prop combination so the power is there to lift off.
This idea started off with the wind blowing the wing over most of the time when I tried to do this and I just picked up a short tree limb off the ground. The dowel(s) were an "upgrade":>)
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:46 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
The dowel(s) are used as a prop, I have used one in the middle and I have used two, one each on the outer wing away from the prop, both ways work. Of course this assumes that you have souped up the motor/prop combination so the power is there to lift off.
This idea started off with the wind blowing the wing over most of the time when I tried to do this and I just picked up a short tree limb off the ground. The dowel(s) were an "upgrade":>)
That makes sense, kind of came to that conclusion as I way typing my last response. Didn't really think about the wind, it was pretty calm the day I was doing it but it would pose a major problem standing it up with the wind blowing. I have gotten so used to the power off over head toss that the vertical take off is still just for occasional fun, it won't be my primary method.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:59 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
680 Posts
Quote:
That makes sense, kind of came to that conclusion as I way typing my last response. Didn't really think about the wind, it was pretty calm the day I was doing it but it would pose a major problem standing it up with the wind blowing. I have gotten so used to the power off over head toss that the vertical take off is still just for occasional fun, it won't be my primary method.
I guess you have figured out that if there is a wind and you try to ground launch that you put it "edge on" to the direction of the wind not broad side to the wind:>)
Joe
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:35 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,620 Posts
Hey guys, on the stock Mini PopWing, what are you using for a battery? I'm looking at either 500 or 800 mah 2S

Thanks!

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:09 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Hey guys, on the stock Mini PopWing, what are you using for a battery? I'm looking at either 500 or 800 mah 2S

Thanks!

Dan
I use an 800mah 2S pack. You can use either really, as long as you can get the CG right with the lighter pack. I simply prefer the 800mah due to the longer flight times.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:50 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!

Dan
I was using a 2s Rhino 360 and an eflight 300 when I had a park 180 size motor on my mini. They needed a tad of ballast too but the RTF version has a lighter motor than the park 180. A friend was using 300's on his RTF and CG was right for him. I was getting 10 minutes but I heard the stock motor with a 300 would go twice that.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:13 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit N Run View Post
I use an 800mah 2S pack. You can use either really, as long as you can get the CG right with the lighter pack. I simply prefer the 800mah due to the longer flight times.
So with the 800mah 2S, I wouldn't need any ballast?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Hi, I am FISHYCOICS. I am a Wingaholic, now, thanks to reading this thread.

I placed my order, and with Lazertoyz.com, dan & Diane, you guys rock!, Hoping to get some corrections taken care of, all is good.

Researching. with a number of sellers, Techone.com, Nitroplanes.com lazertoyz.com & Hobbyking bonsai?

I hesitated in asking a question or two, so when you order, make sure you ask questions? I ordered before with Dan & Diane, and never a problem, they are great people.

I am missing the motor screws. I read to ca parts, I read some mixing needs to beset up?

I hope to no trush this build, and try to take my time.

Cut new servo spots, as the one's supplied are not the size holes? closer is better, as long as the line allows, not to close.

Glue the motor mount joints?

if you guys can offer advice I appreciate it. I am not going to be flying till next year. Will take a video hopefully and snaps I think as I get older I am getting lazier Lol this thing may just wake me up ha ha ha

Here is a quick upboxing before my bats ran dry enjoy

I got the Flight 7 fast set up.

Lazer toyz Mini Pop wing by Nitroplaanes (3 min 27 sec)
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Here I start my how to build, not a pro, and always show a unconventional way of doing things.

1. Take your time, never rush, and you get the job done right?

WIth Lazertoyz.com's Nitroplanes.com Kit, I purchased feature 7 fast kit, 8.5g servo's. You must cut the servo spots out larger. I chose to not cut a new spot closer. I chose to follow best the instructions, and not glue to good and ready. When come's to the electronics I will work on them separately, vs on the spot, as the instructions may not be clear at times.

So sit back if you never owned a wing and am looking to buy. and enjoy the video.

Lazer toyz Mini Pop Wing Build Intro and part One Servi install. (6 min 27 sec)

FISHYCOMICS
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:53 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,791 Posts
Quote:
So with the 800mah 2S, I wouldn't need any ballast?
It really all depends on your motor setup. I'm running almost the same size motor that the big popwing uses (because i wanted A LOT of power for fun) so that added weight in the rear of the wing made an 800mah pack work perfectly with the CG.

If you use a smaller/lighter motor, then 500mah will probably be better for you.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:54 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,620 Posts
Alright I'll see. Right now I'm flying the 900mm PopWing but I'm looking at getting the mini too

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Mini Pop Wing Build Part two.

Lazertoyz Mini Pop Wing Part Two build Push Rods (5 min 17 sec)
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
I am in my build, no gluing yet. It just hit me how most here have all parts on top? When Iam building per instructions?

Before I make a mistake, I should:

1 Servos on top,

2 battery holder?

3 rx, and esc?

Makes me now think if I have to chop this wing up or build a cover for the bat esc and rx?

I do not like misleading, since I started my video build, sure sucks to find out to late, nd I think I caught the issues early,, thanks for any guidance
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Fishy,
1 Servos and linkages on top.
2 battery, ESC and RX as instructions. Some place them on top with the larger Popwing models. Bottom seems fine with mini but do add the nose skid block. It will help cushion the battery if you dive it into the ground, which you will likely do eventually. I have done it several times with little to zero damage. If fix any cracks that happen with Goop glue. Works outstanding for this kind of foam. I also used it to glue on the winglets. Th battery strap/tray was pre-glued but did pop off on my first nose in and I used hot glue to fix it the first time. The second time it was still intact but loose and I used goop. Goop will stretch and flex unlike ca or hot glue. My experience with EPP foam is that the stiff glues like hot glue and CA work but will crack at the same place with the next crash. Goop seems to hold like it never happened and the next crash will not break the foam at the repair site.
3 as I said above, ESC and RX are fine on the bottom and I ran the servo wires on the bottom too. I slightly enlarged the recess to hold the electronics below the bottom of the wing surface as it seems intended. Landings on grass do not cause any issue but if the grass is wet you may want to cover this area with a piece of packing tape. I used benderm tape to keep the servo wires flat and in place. Some builders will cut grove channels to fit them in. Might be a better idea with the larger model pops but not needed on the mini. I didn't use any of the fiber tape that was included with the kit and I did not goop the leading wing edges either, not needed on the mini

After all is done and CG is within range per the manual you will set your radio TX for DELTA type wing. I have a DX7 so I don't know how this is done on the 6i. I am sure the 6i does have this ability. You will want the elevons to be slightly "up" before you try to fly it. They call this "reflex" on wing planes and you need it or it will nose down into the ground before you get it trimmed. You don't need much, maybe an eight of an inch or a tad less up at the elevon tips. It will look about like a normal tailed plane that is a bit over-trimmed for up elevator. Lastly, the throttle is all you have on the left stick. The right stick will be your flight control. Stick left, left elevon will go up, and right elevon goes down. Opposit for right stick obviously . Stick back, both elevons will go up and stick down, both go down. Normal Expo is fine but positive expo might make learning flight less sensitive, I done recommend dual rates, you will want control. The control throws recommended work well but after you get the hang of this plane, you will want much more throw than specified. Grow into this with time. Too much too fast will be frustrating and you won't like it. With the increased throws in the future, add positive expo and you will have smooth flights with the fast rolls and loops when you want them. As specified, the rolls will be pretty slow and you will want altitude before trying one. Later, with more control throw, they roll quite fast. I know you have seen my videos Fishy and you can see the changes I have gone though with my flight ability over time. It's been small steps for me and I did not think I wanted to fly a fast, sensitive wing at all at first. This wing will fly pretty well slow too, the flight envelope is very large. I hope this all helps and your first flights go well!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Fishy,
1 Servos and linkages on top.

2 battery, ESC and RX as instructions. Some place them on top with the larger Popwing models. Bottom seems fine with mini but do add the nose skid block. It will help cushion the battery if you dive it into the ground, which you will likely do eventually. I have done it several times with little to zero damage. If fix any cracks that happen with Goop glue. Works outstanding for this kind of foam. I also used it to glue on the winglets. Th battery strap/tray was pre-glued but did pop off on my first nose in and I used hot glue to fix it the first time. The second time it was still intact but loose and I used goop. Goop will stretch and flex unlike ca or hot glue. My experience with EPP foam is that the stiff glues like hot glue and CA work but will crack at the same place with the next crash. Goop seems to hold like it never happened and the next crash will not break the foam at the repair site.

3 as I said above, ESC and RX are fine on the bottom and I ran the servo wires on the bottom too. I slightly enlarged the recess to hold the electronics below the bottom of the wing surface as it seems intended. Landings on grass do not cause any issue but if the grass is wet you may want to cover this area with a piece of packing tape. I used benderm tape to keep the servo wires flat and in place. Some builders will cut grove channels to fit them in. Might be a better idea with the larger model pops but not needed on the mini. I didn't use any of the fiber tape that was included with the kit and I did not goop the leading wing edges either, not needed on the mini

After all is done and CG is within range per the manual you will set your radio TX for DELTA type wing. I have a DX7 so I don't know how this is done on the 6i. I am sure the 6i does have this ability. You will want the elevons to be slightly "up" before you try to fly it. They call this "reflex" on wing planes and you need it or it will nose down into the ground before you get it trimmed. You don't need much, maybe an eight of an inch or a tad less up at the elevon tips. It will look about like a normal tailed plane that is a bit over-trimmed for up elevator. Lastly, the throttle is all you have on the left stick. The right stick will be your flight control. Stick left, left elevon will go up, and right elevon goes down. Opposit for right stick obviously . Stick back, both elevons will go up and stick down, both go down. Normal Expo is fine but positive expo might make learning flight less sensitive, I done recommend dual rates, you will want control. The control throws recommended work well but after you get the hang of this plane, you will want much more throw than specified. Grow into this with time. Too much too fast will be frustrating and you won't like it. With the increased throws in the future, add positive expo and you will have smooth flights with the fast rolls and loops when you want them. As specified, the rolls will be pretty slow and you will want altitude before trying one. Later, with more control throw, they roll quite fast. I know you have seen my videos Fishy and you can see the changes I have gone though with my flight ability over time. It's been small steps for me and I did not think I wanted to fly a fast, sensitive wing at all at first. This wing will fly pretty well slow too, the flight envelope is very large. I hope this all helps and your first flights go well!
Whirlcap, I saved this, very helpful indeed. I will rewatch the vids?

I have seen tony from Nitroplanes.com mini pop, and thank you for the confirmation, I shall do that change over to top, and decide to either tuck in or tape the leads in? WIth the Rx, and esc a great idea to weather resistant the parts with tape or other means, like a balloon? keeping the electronics on the belly/bottom, be fine , great. Using goop to further protect the battery holder, I shall need to purchase this stuff. I heard Walart? if not I must get online, and that places a hold on the project?

The fiber tape they say will be for repairs, and reinforcement after flights with damage. agree not needed till then? For flying I will be crashing lol, but heck live and learn?

As for the Dx6I that will be my hardest part learning to set up my controls. I understand it is simple to do. and I shall figure it out even if I have to post a video showing the settings?

I am again not going to rush out to fly, Ithank you for taking your personal time to explain this.

and once again whirl great to have you there my friend Peace

FISHYCOMICS