SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:52 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Got together with the local park flyers yesterday and shot some Popwing combat. Two 900's and a mini. Part way in, a Superfly joins us too. Enjoy
Popwing Combat (5 min 41 sec)
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:28 PM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
336 Posts
whirlcap, that's nice.. it's always great to formation or combat fly. The more the merrier

Here's my onboard popwing video

Ode to joyous flight (4 min 50 sec)
neato4u is offline Find More Posts by neato4u
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:02 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neato4u View Post
whirlcap, that's nice.. it's always great to formation or combat fly. The more the merrier

Here's my onboard popwing video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFP98YrpjrE
Fun, entertaining video!
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:31 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neato4u View Post

Here's my onboard popwing video....... Snip
Nice video! Pretty flying location as well. You had some very close encounters there too!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:17 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
After burning up my HXT motor on my mini popwing I decided to go with a different setup. I got an emax CF2812 1600kv motor with a 6x4 prop. I also ditched the 5 gram servos and installed EXI 9 gram servos.

Flew it with the new setup yesterday and it was perfect. Flew much better than before. Not super fast but I'm more than happy with it.

Here is a link to the motor and a picture of my wing

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...outrunner.html

Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:34 PM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
336 Posts
Ichiban - Thanks mate. Yup, thats the point of flying RC.. To have fun!
Whirlcap - Yeah that was some pretty close encounters there, glad to have it on vids.. Better 'close encounters' next time when I setup this wing with FPV oh it's gonna be so much fun
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:44 PM
United States, NY, Mastic
Joined Jan 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Nice video! Pretty flying location as well. You had some very close encounters there too!
could you post a pic of how your cam is mounted.
gman1185 is offline Find More Posts by gman1185
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:29 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1185 View Post
You must mean Neato4u's setup. Mine is just a keychain camera velcro'd to my hat. His AV shots look like a GoPro camera to me. I shoot AV too but with the same camera and either rubber bands or Velcro or both to mount to the plane. Just check the CG before you fly with a camera!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:19 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
For some reason my throttle wont activate until my stick at half throttle, after that all is well. What's up with that?.. Zee////: typin on a phone sucks and I won't do it again.........$@&/!";-$&@!!!
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:17 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I got an emax CF2812 1600kv motor with a 6x4 prop. I also ditched the 5 gram servos and installed EXI 9 gram servos.

Flew it with the new setup yesterday and it was perfect. Flew much better than before. Not super fast but I'm more than happy with it.
I have 9 gram servos, a 1700KV motor, and GWS 6040 props for my mini pops maiden flight except I have a prop saver on it. What size drill bit did you use to drill out the middle of your prop to fit on the prop mount?
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:11 AM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1185 View Post
I actually posted a pic of my popwing a few pages back

A few double sided tapes at the bottom and top taped to popwing body.

Yep, as whirlcap mentioned, always check your CG. Mine doesn't differ much. I'm using 2200mah 3s and still have some tail heavy although I've mounted the lipo far up front. The cam is so small that the weight is almost unnoticeable.. sorry forgot to mention, cam is Horyzon HD. I use 720p 60fps. Youtube encoded it back to 30fps I guess...
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:39 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
If you placed the battery sideways would you achieve CG?
Yours is the only one I've seen mounted longways.
Battery on the bottom has been a non issue for me. Just elongate the battery slot.
I used a plastic sheet on top to give strength for the straps to go through.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:33 PM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
If you placed the battery sideways would you achieve CG?
Yours is the only one I've seen mounted longways.
Battery on the bottom has been a non issue for me. Just elongate the battery slot.
I used a plastic sheet on top to give strength for the straps to go through.
You should be able to. I'm saving space to put all of my FPV stuffs there (not to say that mounting lipo sideways would be a problem). Yeah the popwing does flex a bit.. I don't use it for flying fast, just some easy slow flying for FPV and aerial views.

I must say I'm bad flying LOS with this thing.. sometimes I lost orientation (like in the vids, near the end.. that was me losing orientation on the wing, glad that I recovered! I didn't realize that the plane was pointing towards me until I give it a left right twitch and figured it out in a split second).

It's a good platform for FPV. Just get whetever stuffs you have and start stickin! just remember to check your CG afterwards
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:03 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
I have 9 gram servos, a 1700KV motor, and GWS 6040 props for my mini pops maiden flight except I have a prop saver on it. What size drill bit did you use to drill out the middle of your prop to fit on the prop mount?
I didn't need to drill my prop. In fact it was slightly too big until I put the little round inserts in the prop. The props I'm using are from rctimer.com No brand name on them.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:39 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Maidened my mini yesterday and had a time trimming it out as it was all over the sky. After a few good ka-plunks into the grass, NO damage!!, I finally found it's sweet spot. Man this thing is swell , I can slow it down and then point it up and zip up to the clouds at light speed. I believe this wing is gonna make me a better pilot all around. It will sure keep you involved in the flying process. ..ZEEZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee