Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:27 PM
Near-Earth object
United States, NC, Castle Hayne
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
Yee Haw!

Well this morning I got to put the Popwing in the air again. The new motor and prop set up really stepped up the speed. Unlimited climb and really obnoxious noise. After I got it above the pines I could hear the echo all around me. Out of curiosity I put it on the scale when I got home. It weighs in at 518 grams. What a hog. One small gripe though. It would be nice if I didn't have to land on my battery and electronics. Next one will have some slight modifications where everything is protected. Happy flying.
bluecnc is offline Find More Posts by bluecnc
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:56 PM
Registered User
Schoolya's Avatar
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecnc View Post
It would be nice if I didn't have to land on my battery and electronics. Next one will have some slight modifications where everything is protected. Happy flying.
That is one reason why i cut my battery compartment thru to the top.
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:55 PM
Registered User
neato4u's Avatar
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolya View Post
That is one reason why i cut my battery compartment thru to the top.
I have mine on top as well
next is to setup FPV on this wing.. Do you guys think it can still fly well with stock motor setup? FYI I'm looking to put just the vtx with cloverleaf. No gps dragonosd or other stuffs as of yet.
neato4u is offline Find More Posts by neato4u
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:29 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
zeezee's Avatar
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
My BNF mini Popwing is arriving tomorrow, as a new wing flyer, any suggestions..... Dave/ZEEZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:34 PM
Registered User
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
My BNF mini Popwing is arriving tomorrow, as a new wing flyer, any suggestions..... Dave/ZEEZEE
JM includes an instruction sheet for maiden flight with the wing.
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:07 PM
Where did that tree come from
kid at 55's Avatar
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,384 Posts
What size battery with the mini pop? I have some 500 2cells.
kid at 55 is online now Find More Posts by kid at 55
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:44 PM
Registered User
neato4u's Avatar
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
My BNF mini Popwing is arriving tomorrow, as a new wing flyer, any suggestions..... Dave/ZEEZEE
Well the only issue I have is launching the damn thing at first..
Flying was a breeze..
neato4u is offline Find More Posts by neato4u
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:48 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
Hit N Run's Avatar
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neato4u View Post
Well the only issue I have is launching the damn thing at first..
Flying was a breeze..
I know how you feel. I'm always a little nervous for that half a second between tossing it up and getting my hand back to the controls again.

Just kinda grit my teeth and hope it doesn't take a dive between then lol.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:56 PM
Registered User
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
JM includes an instruction sheet for maiden flight with the wing.
hmmm, strange, I didn't get a sheet with my wing from Johnny that was delivered monday....

bummer, I can't maiden yet---Johnny is sending me a new servo--my control horn was improperly positioned partway into the main body
of the wing which I think caused too much torque and the gears in the servo are melted/broken.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:47 PM
Registered User
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
hmmm, strange, I didn't get a sheet with my wing from Johnny that was delivered monday.
He was going to send it to me in email but it's been a week since we PM'd.
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:16 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Apr 2002
435 Posts
Battery Packs ?

Guys,

I have a 900mm PW on it's way to me from NP.

What batteries have you guys been using and what sort of flight times are you getting with the stock motor?


TIA for any thoughts.

:harry
harrye is offline Find More Posts by harrye
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
zeezee's Avatar
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I just walked outside to get the cat in and turn on the pool pump and polaris and there is my box leaning against the screen door with my new wing in it. Do I open it now or wait...........how long????????????? The with it let's down a sec and then, wow it's a beautiful day and cool ZEEZEEX3
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:08 AM
Registered User
neato4u's Avatar
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit N Run View Post
I know how you feel. I'm always a little nervous for that half a second between tossing it up and getting my hand back to the controls again.

Just kinda grit my teeth and hope it doesn't take a dive between then lol.
lol.. I'm lucky because popwing is made from EPP material. I started off with a another wing of really weak material - I thought launching it off was as easy as the bixler.. So I 'attempted' maiden it alone and it ended up in pieces!

Popwing on the other hand, was rather 'crash resistant'. It served me well as a trainer plane. Now I can say that 99% of my launch is successful. It does flex a bit even with carbon rods.. doesn't go that fast either with stock motor... but it sure is fun to fly.

Uploading a video of my HoryzonHD mounted on a popwing. Some dogfight and some 'lost of orientation' that leads to an emergency landing..
neato4u is offline Find More Posts by neato4u
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:25 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
zeezee's Avatar
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I have a DX6i and have programmed elevon's before but for some reason I have it setup where I have correct elevator action and aileron action, but, the elevators do what the sticks tell them but the ailerons are in reverse, so I reverse ailerons both surfaces move up as elevators going up. Help!! ZZ....could one of the servo's be installed in reverce, because it seems if you turned the servo and reversed the arm it would work right.??????...addenum: It was hard to find, but I found it, the builder of my wing had the elevator and aileron wires reversed in the reciever. Like I said hard to fiqure out buy a sec. to make right..Love my new wing watching it rain cat's, dog's, alligator's, nutria, and crawfish....I'm going outside and scoop them up, the crawdads, for a boil..ain't seen no shrimps?????BP!!!
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Last edited by zeezee; Sep 29, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:49 AM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
GRUMPEE's Avatar
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2009
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
I have a DX6i and have programmed elevon's before but for some reason I have it setup where I have correct elevator action and aileron action, but, the elevators do what the sticks tell them but the ailerons are in reverse, so I reverse ailerons both surfaces move up as elevators going up. Help!! ZZ....could one of the servo's be installed in reverce, because it seems if you turned the servo and reversed the arm it would work right.??????...addenum: It was hard to find, but I found it, the builder of my wing had the elevator and aileron wires reversed in the reciever. Like I said hard to fiqure out buy a sec. to make right..Love my new wing watching it rain cat's, dog's, alligator's, nutria, and crawfish....I'm going outside and scoop them up, the crawdads, for a boil..ain't seen no shrimps?????BP!!!

Try this: std elevon on DX6i
ail input: portside servo elev input: starboard servo
servo elev reversed

But the problem which may or may not be an issue is the DX6i has a bug or something where this is not enough ail/travel travel it's like half of what it should be.


One solution:but this uses up both mix 1/mix2
Elevon mixing on dx6i, instructions, GET FULL SERVO THROWS!!! (6 min 12 sec)


Another solution which only ties up one mix:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=35

Both will give you more servo movement, but the 2nd solution will free up one mix. Plus this will give you flaps option
GRUMPEE is offline Find More Posts by GRUMPEE
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Techone models?? lectroglide Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 5 Aug 07, 2011 01:54 PM
Sold Techone Energy EPP Foamy Wattsup23 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Mar 31, 2011 03:28 AM
Sold Techone Piaget 3D EPP New in box $45 shipped! Lindy757 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 17, 2011 11:01 PM
Discussion TechOne F3P??? cglynn Indoor Pattern/F3P 6 Mar 11, 2011 01:24 PM
Question techone malibu 2 or techone aeolus? genesis96 Indoor Pattern/F3P 16 Jan 19, 2011 01:02 PM