HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:02 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I am looking to buy a used Popwing in good condition in a BNF setup so I can see if this is where i want to go in my continuing journey in RC. Currently flying a H9 P-51 and a Pawnee towplane. BNF would be 2.4/////Dave/ZEEZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:14 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
I am looking to buy a used Popwing in good condition in a BNF setup so I can see if this is where i want to go in my continuing journey in RC. Currently flying a H9 P-51 and a Pawnee towplane. BNF would be 2.4/////Dave/ZEEZEE
Trust me, you want a Popwing! It's a great part of anyone's "journey" in RC flying. I have the Popwing and Mini Popwing and I love them both!

They go flying with me EVERY time I head to the flying field.
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:54 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Johnnymeg sells newly built BNF fast mini popwings at a reasonable price. Check out his You Tube Channel for videos including mini pop FPV.
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:48 PM
flight investigator in service
Lakewood,Ohio
Joined Jan 2009
114 Posts
This plane is great for everyone to add to their fleet! Just ask me

Have a 2.4ghz reciever and spektrum to get the most out of your popwing, especially with dual rates for maiden and expierience flying! I did mymaiden on high rates and did great with how stable this flyer is and is more fun too
microkid is offline Find More Posts by microkid
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
My pop wing.

Here is some pictures of my second pop wing. Learned some stuff with the first one and changed it with this one. I think the winglets where flexing at 60+ mph, so I added some carbon rods to each for reinforcement(and also rounded the edges). I also added a rod under the motor mount because the wing seemed to act odd under heavy acceleration, and I think the motor mount may have been twisting the foam some. Also added 2 square carbon rods to the nose because after cutting out for a larger battery ( rhino 1550 3s) there is not much foam left for support in the nose. Cut battery compartment to top of wing, per someone else suggestion earlier in this thread, and glued some walmart flexible cutting board to the bottom. Electronics are Power up zoom 400 with emp 6x4e prop and a hurc 40amp esc. had to add a 1oz weight to the front to get cg right(which i hate doing). 75ish top speed, flies on rails, with none of the odd behavior of my first popwing.
Schoolya is offline Find More Posts by Schoolya
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:55 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Very nice. Thanks for the info.
Have you worked with flat carbon strips any? I'm starting to like those a lot.

Did you run a bead of CA and accelerator over all the stock carbon? It helps a bit.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Did you run a bead of CA and accelerator over all the stock carbon? It helps a bit.
actually, I like goop or shoe goo's rubberyness for EPP, so I used that.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:59 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolya View Post
...had to add a 1oz weight to the front to get cg right(which i hate doing).

Where's your CG with & without the 1oz weight?

I have my CG back further than the recomended range and it flys great there.

You may be fine without the weight...
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I have sent Johnnymeg a couple PM's to buy one but no responce, he must be a very happy busy man!!! That's what doing good work will do for you....I have my finger on the PPal button, I want a Popwing...........Dave/ZEEZEE
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:07 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
I have sent Johnnymeg a couple PM's to buy one but no responce, he must be a very happy busy man!!! That's what doing good work will do for you....I have my finger on the PPal button, I want a Popwing...........Dave/ZEEZEE
He's an enterprising young man as well as helpful; his PM box is possibly full. You may want to post your request on his thread.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Thanks all, I just got ahold of him and am now a wing owner. Can someone tell me what size prop he supplys these with so I can order some more while I wait for my wing.. BTW...I do all my power and everything else shopping at HeadsUp RC.... Dave
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:51 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Thanks all, I just got ahold of him and am now a wing owner. Can someone tell me what size prop he supplys these with so I can order some more while I wait for my wing.. BTW...I do all my power and everything else shopping at HeadsUp RC.... Dave
Good choice! In his first mini popwing video where he briefly shows his banzai wing (HobbyKings version of the mini popwing,) he mentions he's tried GWS 5x4.3 and GWS 5x3 props. He liked the 5x3 as it was more stable. However, I don't know if he's still using that prop with his builds.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:40 PM
Near-Earth object
United States, NC, Castle Hayne
Joined Sep 2012
179 Posts
My first wing.

After reading all the pages in this thread I felt confident that my maiden flight would be a success. And it was.

Thank you all who have come first. Your experience is invaluable.

My setup:

900 mm PopWing
T-Motor AS2208-15 KV:1260
TechOne 20 amp ESC
GWS 8-4 prop
11.1v 2200 mAh 25c battery
8 gram servos

All said, I pre-maidened the wing with a 1300 mAh battery which left the craft tail heavy, prompting me to purchase the 2200's. The extra weight corrected the COG. Another benefit of the large battery was 15 minute flights of wide open throttle.

The set-up that I had caused the popwing to be a little lethargic but it was perfect to start off. I have now upgraded to a 30 amp esc, 1100 kv Dynam motor and a APC 8-6 prop.

Haven't flown it yet. The new motor and prop are heavier which always changes the dynamics of flight but oh well.

Can't wait for the sun to come up. Are those batteries charged yet?

See you all at the field.
bluecnc is offline Find More Posts by bluecnc
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, FL, Mayo
Joined Jul 2012
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Where's your CG with & without the 1oz weight?

I have my CG back further than the recomended range and it flys great there.

You may be fine without the weight...
I didn't measure, I just did it by how it felt in flight. Without the weight it was wiggly when going slow and wanted to stall in turns. With it, its perfect.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:55 AM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
336 Posts
popwing with horyzon hd

Hey guys, this is my first time flying a flying wing and I must say the popwing ia a steady platform. I do need some time to get used to it.. Sometimes I just lost orientation of the plane

Anyway, here are my video trying to imitate trappy style hehe. I will try again with FPV stuffs onboard.

Popwing-LOS Trappy style (4 min 18 sec)

neato4u is offline Find More Posts by neato4u
Last edited by neato4u; Sep 27, 2012 at 11:21 AM.