HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:49 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
My LEDS came and I hooked them up to a 3 cell. Wow, they really pop!

I was watching a flitetest video on leds and they said for jumpers you can use something called foam wire. I looked that up on google and found simple wire that gardeners use to tie up tomato plants and such. Is that all that is needed to connect my leds (jumpers)?
I have two strings of LEDs; one in the left and one in the right parts of the wing. The end of each string is folded back between the side edge of the wing and the fin. The start of each string is in the battery tray. Taking the wire from two JST connector pig tails, I soldered two wires (black and red) to the start of each LED string. I then soldered the two red wires to the positive terminal and the two black wires to the negative terminal of a male battery connector. This puts the two strings of LEDs in parallel so both strings get the same voltage. (Putting them in series is likely good enough.) Using a home made Y splitter I can connect the battery pack to only the ESC for day flying or both the ESC and LED system in parallel for night flying.
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
793 Posts
Got some Goop (never used it before) so I might put a coat of Goop on the leading edge of my 35 inch wing later tonight.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,774 Posts
I just got back from flying my Popwing and Mini Popwing. It was a great day for flying!
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:03 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Got some Goop (never used it before) so I might put a coat of Goop on the leading edge of my 35 inch wing later tonight.
I use Goop on the inside of my RC car bodies to strengthen the lexan and get longer use out of them. I started out with Goop on the edge of my mini popwing but it wasn't spreading out as easily as I wanted. I had some seal-all which is a silicone contact adhesive like Goop but with less viscosity. Each will do the job. And I tried using a credit card to spread but had better control using my finger.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:39 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
793 Posts
What are good wires to use as jumpers for LEDs? I have some Turnigy wires but they are too thick and I don't want to waste them if simple wires will do the job.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:03 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
What are good wires to use as jumpers for LEDs? I have some Turnigy wires but they are too thick and I don't want to waste them if simple wires will do the job.
If you got a roll of LEDs from nitroplanes it should have come with some leads on both ends of the LED strand. Otherwise, servo wire is sufficient so use a spare servo extension cable or the servo wire from a broken down junk servo. Servo wire gauge is typically 22 and 24. Careful not to tear the wires jacket when separating the servo wires.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:59 AM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
400 Posts
Quote:
What I did was use an old ethernet cable. Cut the ends off then pull out all the wiring inside. That wire is small, light and easy to solder.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Feb 2008
28 Posts
OK
Here is some video (poor grade ) of the popwing
What's in it
MicroDan 2900 kv motor
40 amp esc...pulls 33amps
Master air screw 6x4
Hitec 82 mg servos
2.4 spectrum 4 ch.

TECHONE POPWING 1200mm (5 min 2 sec)

It's a hand full....but a lot of fun!!!!!!!!!
chippedprop is offline Find More Posts by chippedprop
Last edited by chippedprop; Sep 19, 2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:00 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
That's pretty awesome.
What battery balanced it out?
Stock elevons?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:04 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,552 Posts
Maiden tomorrow, hopefully.

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Montreal and New Hampshire 2014
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:14 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
793 Posts
Flew my Pop Wing (35 inch) again this evening. Did a nice job flying. It was slightly windy. I tamed down the dual rates and flew it on very low rates. It still was a little twitchy when I gave it up or down elevator. Also, I had to fly it almost constantly puling the elevator stick back to keep the nose up.

Two kids down the road heard it (while feeding their pigs!) and came down to watch with their dogs. Dogs chased my wing around the field. lol.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:53 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
793 Posts
I've got to put a more powerful motor in my wing. After flying it two times it flies a little too slow or underpowered. It seems like I hit max throttle when my throttle stick is only 3/4 up and I get not more increase in power when I to full throttle.

I have this motor and I'm going to try it in my 35 inch Pop Wing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-2212-6-22...item27b91e2e9b
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:44 PM
flight investigator in service
Lakewood,Ohio
Joined Jan 2009
114 Posts
Hey everyone

I just recently go a popwing and its a blast to fly!

I had it for 2 weeks and flown it a dozen times already.

There are videos of me flying it and myy dad the cameraman doing maiden daytime and nightime flights and a review and where I got it..

My account is Airplanekid95 on youtube

Happy flying!!
microkid is offline Find More Posts by microkid
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:17 PM
TAS Foamies was here!!!!!!!!
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
261 Posts
Rebuilt my motor box on my mini popwing and I am going to try an apc .... Has anyone used one yet? If so what size and how well did it work?
ThatGuy123 is offline Find More Posts by ThatGuy123
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:52 AM
Joined Feb 2008
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
That's pretty awesome.
What battery balanced it out?
Stock elevons?
turnigy 2200 plus I had to add 2 oz of nose weight due to upgrades
flight weight whopping 30 oz

next edition I'll not go over kill....reduce weight -increase speed- vert. and fun
chippedprop is offline Find More Posts by chippedprop