HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:54 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
I guess I could cut the banana plugs off the stock ESC and solder on some deans so I could use my other lipo batteries. I have a 1800 3 cell I could use on my Pop wing.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:25 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
I guess I could cut the banana plugs off the stock ESC and solder on some deans so I could use my other lipo batteries. I have a 1800 3 cell I could use on my Pop wing.
Your flight description sounds tail heavy.
You'll like it on the bigger batts.
You will lose a bit of that floatiness.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:06 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,787 Posts
I'm using 2200mah on my Popwing and 800mah on my Mini Popwing with very good CG results and plenty of flight time per pack. 12 minutes on the Popwing and 5 minutes on the Mini Popwing. (because i'm running the same motor on both wings) Those results are at mostly WOT the entire flight.

I love these Popwings! So much fun!!
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:28 PM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Jan 2012
314 Posts
Ahoy! I recently bought a 35 inch Pop Wing and was going to use my S/C Hobbyzone 1300mah battery in it but it won't plug in. Wrong plug set up. So off to my local LHS to get a new plug soldered on. Of course the owner of the store told me me I would not be able to fly this with my DX4e radio, too touchy. He wanted to sell me a DX6i radio. I wanted to think about it so I didn't bite the bullet today. So now I read here that the DX6i has a glitch in it for Elevon set up. So what gives? Do I need a new radio to fly this plane? If so, which one? DX6i, DX7i or what? Confused. I have a hard enough time programing my VCR to tape the right channel. I can just see me trying to program one of these radios. He did say if I bought a new radio he would help me get it set up for this wing. So I guess there is still hope...Capt'n Ron
mycaptain is online now Find More Posts by mycaptain
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:53 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I don't know if you need a new radio or not. I think the one you have is rather weak on features. No dual rates or expo for example. They make things easier to fly.

The DX6i is a fine radio but it does indeed have a glitch in elevon mode.
Easily resolved following the instructions in this post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=35
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:17 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,605 Posts
Hey Mycaptain,

I can't program my VCR either. But, I can program my DX7. Like anything else in this hobby, takes a little practice.

RonJ
Getting old and still haven't given up
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:49 PM
Ham Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2003
198 Posts
I'd like to know how long it takes the smell to go away????
PJRono is offline Find More Posts by PJRono
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:50 PM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2009
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJRono View Post
I'd like to know how long it takes the smell to go away????
It doesn't , if by chance you no longer smell it , you're probably used to the smell
GRUMPEE is online now Find More Posts by GRUMPEE
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:09 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycaptain View Post
Ahoy! I recently bought a 35 inch Pop Wing and was going to use my S/C Hobbyzone 1300mah battery in it but it won't plug in. Wrong plug set up. So off to my local LHS to get a new plug soldered on. Of course the owner of the store told me me I would not be able to fly this with my DX4e radio, too touchy. He wanted to sell me a DX6i radio. I wanted to think about it so I didn't bite the bullet today. So now I read here that the DX6i has a glitch in it for Elevon set up. So what gives? Do I need a new radio to fly this plane? If so, which one? DX6i, DX7i or what? Confused. I have a hard enough time programing my VCR to tape the right channel. I can just see me trying to program one of these radios. He did say if I bought a new radio he would help me get it set up for this wing. So I guess there is still hope...Capt'n Ron
That guy just wants your money I've flown flying wings on my DX4e with no issues at all. Touchy?! Who cares, that's what makes it FUN. You can always just use larger control horns, or smaller servo arms as expo.

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CustomFPVSetups.com
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:13 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPEE View Post
It doesn't , if by chance you no longer smell it , you're probably used to the smell
I knew I had a bad smeller but didn't know it was this bad. I don't notice a smell from my mini pop and what I do smell when smelling the EPP up close does not bother me.
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:23 PM
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Jan 2012
314 Posts
IFlyRCs...RonJ...DJO... Ahoy! Thank you guys for your quick responce to my questions. I guess I will try and fly this 35 inch Pop Wing with my DX4e. I can always buy a new radio if needed. I just hate to part with my pennies. I gotta start thinking I can't take em with me. Ha ha...Thanks again, Capt'n Ron
mycaptain is online now Find More Posts by mycaptain
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:58 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
Video

Here's a video of one of todays flights with my Popwing.

Techone Popwing at the park (6 min 15 sec)

My setup:

Stock Tiger motor 2208 1370kv
7x5 prop
Grayson hobby 40 amp esc (overkill but it's what I had)
T-pro 9g servos
Spektrum AR6100e receiver
Cut battery compartment to fit my Turnigy 2200mah 3s 30c lipo
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:45 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post

RonJ
Getting old and still haven't given up
A-1 on that Ron
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post

He has his LEDs surface mounted. There are videos where LEDs have been inserted into the foam. You lose the individual appearance of each LED and the foam in front of the LEDs glows (more convincing of a UFO.) I prefer that look and will be doing it with...

My LEDS came and I hooked them up to a 3 cell. Wow, they really pop!

I was watching a flitetest video on leds and they said for jumpers you can use something called foam wire. I looked that up on google and found simple wire that gardeners use to tie up tomato plants and such. Is that all that is needed to connect my leds (jumpers)?
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:58 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,586 Posts
My PopWing and motor package is coming on Monday. So excited! I got the plain white kit version already have an ESC, servos, and a battery. I'll be using it for FPV!

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CustomFPVSetups.com