HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:09 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
You said Big Popwing, what wingspan did you order? 900 or 1200?
He has the 900 coming as the 1200 kit has been out of stock for a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
Woooow!!! That is exactly what I want to do! I can't wait to get mine and set it up. Now I'm going to have to order some led lights, probably from hobbyking.
He has his LEDs surface mounted. There are videos where LEDs have been inserted into the foam. You lose the individual appearance of each LED and the foam in front of the LEDs glows (more convincing of a UFO.) I prefer that look and will be doing it with LEDs I purchased from HobbyPartz. Those LEDs come in different colors and are adhesive backed. If you don't want to purchase different colors you can purchase white LEDs and cover the foam with different transparent colored tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Lot's of people like it better than the 900 and I'm about the same way.
On RCGroups.com I've found more definitive statements claiming the 900 flys better than the 600.
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:56 PM
Vegas Flyer
Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2008
154 Posts
miniPOP

miniPOP with powershot 250 450mah 3s,,,flies like a demon,,
superblue is offline Find More Posts by superblue
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:36 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
787 Posts
All these led light pics and videos are making my mouth water!
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
He has the 900 coming as the 1200 kit has been out of stock for a couple of weeks.

He has his LEDs surface mounted. There are videos where LEDs have been inserted into the foam. You lose the individual appearance of each LED and the foam in front of the LEDs glows (more convincing of a UFO.) I prefer that look and will be doing it with LEDs I purchased from HobbyPartz. Those LEDs come in different colors and are adhesive backed. If you don't want to purchase different colors you can purchase white LEDs and cover the foam with different transparent colored tape.

Are those leds from hobbypartz that have adhesive on the back the same ones sold by hobbyking?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:09 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Are those leds from hobbypartz that have adhesive on the back the same ones sold by hobbyking?
I have not checked out hobbykings LEDs, their live chat in lieu of phone support and incompetent customer support leaves me shopping elsewhere. Click on the LEDs and HobbyPartz links in my post for more information.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:06 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
787 Posts
Do you run your leds off your flight battery or have a separate battery for your leds? If you run them off your flight battery, how do you connect your leds to your flight battery?

Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:12 AM
Vegas Flyer
Las Vegas
Joined Jul 2008
154 Posts
Quote:
Do you run your leds off your flight battery or have a separate battery for your leds? If you run them off your flight battery, how do you connect your leds to your flight battery?

Thanks!
connect them to the balance port. You just order the female side and solder them to the LED's then plug em in at night and leave em unplugged in the day. Easy as pie,,,,,
superblue is offline Find More Posts by superblue
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:52 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
There's also this option:
Your choice of males/females

XT60 w. inline JST connector
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18868
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18869
JST Pigtails
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9682
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9683 - Out Of Stock
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:28 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!
I'm going to run them off the one battery. I considered running off the balance plug, but I'm planning to run a voltage alarm off the plug. I could make Y splitters, but the male and female balance connectors I have are for 2s packs not 3s packs. I'll likely run off the batterys xt60 connector using a Y splitter between the ESC and the LEDs and hope the weight will be neglible. Eventually I may want to run them off a Rx channel so I can turn them off and on from the Tx.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:31 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
397 Posts
Quote:
I have used both and they are not the exact same lights. The Turnigy strips from hobbyking are a bit wider than the ones I got from hobbypartz. The leds are just as bright though. You will be happy with either ones.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Aug 26, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
787 Posts
Hobbypartz is U.S. based and owned by nitroplanes, right? My pop wing from Nitroplanes is my first order from them. How fast do they usually ship?

I use hobbyking mostly because of the low prices but the wait (2 weeks+) is a real pain sometimes. I might go after those leds from hobbypartz after I get my wing and fly it a few times.

Can the 35 inch pop wing carry two batteries - a flight battery and a smaller 3 cell for the leds? How much juice do leds pull anyway? Are they efficient or battery hogs?

I can't wait to get my wing!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:53 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jan 2006
601 Posts
everytime I order from hobbypartz and nitroplanes it ships within 1 day or sameday. Just use the balance connector for the lights. I haven't noticed a reduction in performance or flight times on my night planes.
Beardiedrg is offline Find More Posts by Beardiedrg
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:34 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
Looking at my mini popwing, the motor mount appears to be slightly off straight. Problem may be one side could not be pushed on as far as the opposite side. It appears the mount came glued to the wing. Anyone else have this issue and what can be done to resolve it? Thanks!
I use hot melt glue on all my foam planes and it holds REAL well but it can be easily removed from the plane or parts with 70% or 90% rubbing alcohol. I use a QTip to apply and then a flat screwdriver blade to pry it away. Works every time.
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
787 Posts
Email from Nitroplanes said they shipped my wing today. Can't wait to get it!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:49 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,930 Posts
Is the bigger pop wing from Lazertoyz with the 2212 much faster then the stock version? Do they include additional build/CG info with the kit? My Assassin is fun but I'm looking for more speed. Thanks
Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer