HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:29 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Some newbie wing related questions...

Anything wrong with using HXT900 servos in the Mini Pops?

Aside from additional cost and more weight, is there anything wrong with using a higher Amp rated ESC with a setup that won't need the Amps? For example, if I were to use a 40A ESC in a setup that would work with an 18A ESC.

Just got a Flysky TH9x radio that I will update the firmware to 9x. And from some RC cars of mine I have some of the Flysky 3 channel RXs that are compatible with this TX. Can a 3 channel RX be used with these Pops and Mini Pops? I ask because I know a 3 channel RX can be used in a wing without a motor but I have seen these wings advertised as 4 channel.

Do I need to get a watt meter if I plan to only own 3 planes at most and my setups will be copied from other forum member setups?

Thanks!
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:57 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
Anything wrong with using HXT900 servos in the Mini Pops?
Not at all. I'm using them in one of my popwings and I have 9 gram Emax servos in the mini popwing. The HXT900's will work fine and take plenty of abuse when you're doing high G maneuvers.

Quote:
Aside from additional cost and more weight, is there anything wrong with using a higher Amp rated ESC with a setup that won't need the Amps? For example, if I were to use a 40A ESC in a setup that would work with an 18A ESC.
The only concern with using a speed controller way overkill in size for what it needs to be, is weight. Besides the fact that it's unwanted weight, it's only a plus factor having it. The ESC wont have to work very hard to sustain the 14A- to18A needed to fly it.... which just translates to a more reliable/efficient setup.

Quote:
Just got a Flysky TH9x radio that I will update the firmware to 9x. And from some RC cars of mine I have some of the Flysky 3 channel RXs that are compatible with this TX. Can a 3 channel RX be used with these Pops and Mini Pops? I ask because I know a 3 channel RX can be used in a wing without a motor but I have seen these wings advertised as 4 channel.
It's rated as a "full range" receiver so I think it would be fine for the mini popwing. You're not going to fly THAT far away with this wing that you have range issues before sight issues.

Three channels is all you need on these wings because it is "throttle/aileron/elevator setup. So you're good to go there.

Quote:
Do I need to get a watt meter if I plan to only own 3 planes at most and my setups will be copied from other forum member setups? A watt meter is a vital part of an "electric guys" arsenal. Since no motor/esc/battery are identical i

Thanks!
A watt meter is a vital part of an "electric guys" arsenal. Since no motor/prop/esc/battery setup is truly identical in performance, there will be small differences in the amount of power and current draw that the motor will put out. With a watt meter, now you can monitor EXACTLY what's going on when you go from idle to full throttle.
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:38 PM
USA, LA, Sorrento
Joined Jul 2007
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit N Run View Post
I thought I might post a picture of my PopWing and Mini PopWing.

I just finished them this afternoon.
I can't wait to fly them!!
Looks good Run What is your set up motor prop bats
Thanks
millera1 is offline Find More Posts by millera1
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millera1 View Post
Looks good Run What is your set up motor prop bats
Thanks
I'm using RC Timer 2208/14 (1450kv) motors with 7X6 props, 2200mah (3 cell) lipos for the 2 PopWings and a clone (same size) motor (1500kv) for the Mini PopWing, spinning a 6X5 prop and 800mah (3 cell) lipos.

I wasn't looking for crazy speed so I kept the KV low on them. I'll tell ya though... we just got back from flying all three of them, and they still zip around pretty nice. If I was to "guesstimate", I would say the Popwings do about 45mph, and the Mini Popwing does about 60mph.

Lots of fun!!!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:31 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit N Run View Post
I'm using RC Timer 2208/14 (1450kv) motors with 7X6 props, 2200mah (3 cell) lipos for the 2 PopWings and a clone (same size) motor (1500kv) for the Mini PopWing, spinning a 6X5 prop and 800mah (3 cell) lipos.

I wasn't looking for crazy speed so I kept the KV low on them. I'll tell ya though... we just got back from flying all three of them, and they still zip around pretty nice. If I was to "guesstimate", I would say the Popwings do about 45mph, and the Mini Popwing does about 60mph.

Lots of fun!!!
Just tried to maiden my mini today with this same setup. Was too fast and wild for my first wing skills. Second flight was down propped to a 5030 and was flyable but not enough prop. Got home and borrowed the a Park 180 sized motor from another plane and went to a Rhino 360 3 cell. will give her another try in the morning. Need to check and see if that motor can handle a 3 cell first. if not, I have a 2 cell 360 on hand. Scratch that.... just looked and the 3 cell not recommended. Just as well. Came in at 4.4 oz (125 grams) AUW with the 3 cell.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Just tried to maiden my mini today with this same setup. Was too fast and wild for my first wing skills. Second flight was down propped to a 5030 and was flyable but not enough prop. Got home and borrowed the a Park 180 sized motor from another plane and went to a Rhino 360 3 cell. will give her another try in the morning. Need to check and see if that motor can handle a 3 cell first. if not, I have a 2 cell 360 on hand. Scratch that.... just looked and the 3 cell not recommended. Just as well. Came in at 4.4 oz (125 grams) AUW with the 3 cell.
Yeah, I had the same problem. If you only go about half throttle, it helps a lot when taking off. At full throttle, it's nothing less than absolutely insane. You get so much torque roll from the motor that it goes all over the place for the first 2 seconds. But once you get going, it's soooo much fun!

I can cruise around at half throttle for almost 10 minutes on an 800mAh (20C) 3 cell pack. Or you can really tear up the skies at full throttle for a good 4 minutes.

All in all, it really is too much motor for the mini pop, and I "MIGHT" get a smaller motor as recommended from nitroplanes. I believe it's the T1306 (3200kv) along with a 10A ESC and a 300-600mAh 2 cell lipo battery.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:14 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,146 Posts
Hit N Run, I let you know how it does after tomorrow. I'm using this motor http://www.stevensaero.com/SA-Sport-...8-p-20365.html with a 5030. It's a little bit bigger than the t1306 I think. I was going to buy the recommended motor when I ordered my Mini but they were out of stock everywhere or too much $. I should be able to get 10 minute flights on the 360 2 cell with this motor. I get that in the plane I borrowed it from.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:40 AM
FPV Dealer,Getting People High
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Sep 2011
623 Posts
Not sure if anyone has Seen this yet but if your planning on building or buying a Mini Popwing consider this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1703771&page=2
Johnnymeg is online now Find More Posts by Johnnymeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:02 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,146 Posts
For me, the smaller motor is much better. Had easy flights this morning and could work out the trim settings without loosing it! Using the recommended throws and found a roll is too slow to do. Will need to increase the throws I guess. Anyone have recommendations for throws on the Mini?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:21 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
More newbie wing related questions...

Hiya, got my mini popwing kit this week!

Regarding the products mentioned below, bold represents products I already own.

To glue the wing tips (fins) on, which glue should I use: Homax Welder, Goop, hot glue, or a combination such as Welder or Goop on both faces to be joined and hot glue spread thin around the joint contact?

To protect the leading edge of the wing, should I spread Goop thin, apply Scotch Book Tape (3"), or both?

To reinforce the wing, should I use the included tape, Scotch Extreme Tape (150lbs/sqin), or Scotch Premium Filament Tape (380 lbs/sqin)?

Aside from laying tape over the slots housing the carbon fiber rods, where else do I lay tape to reinforce the wing?

Thank You!
Last edited by ichiban; Aug 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:45 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Hiya, got my mini popwing kit this week!

Regarding the products mentioned below, bold represents products I already own.

To glue the wing tips (fins) on, which glue should I use: Homax Welder, Goop, hot glue, or a combination such as Welder or Goop on both faces to be joined and hot glue spread thin around the joint contact?

To protect the leading edge of the wing, should I spread Goop thin, apply Scotch Book Tape (3"), or both?

To reinforce the wing, should I use the included tape, Scotch Extreme Tape (150lbs/sqin), or Scotch Premium Filament Tape (380 lbs/sqin)?

Aside from laying tape over the slots housing the carbon fiber rods, where else do I lay tape to reinforce the wing?

Thank You!
You're overthinking things just a bit.
Keep it simple and keep it light.

Any of those methods would work for the fins. Goop or hot glue will work fine.
I used regular CA and that worked great.

On leading edges use 1/2 tube of GOOP and keep it a little thick, not too thin. Running maybe an inch and a half from the edge top and bottom. Watch out for FUMES and it dries fast. Smear it flat and leave it alone.

I used zero tape on mine. CA the carbon slits and kick it with accelerator.

Also, CA all the wood motor mount seams and attaching points for extra strength.

Obviously, there's option's and others will make different choices.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:36 PM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2009
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
You're overthinking things just a bit.
Keep it simple and keep it light.

Any of those methods would work for the fins. Goop or hot glue will work fine.
I used regular CA and that worked great.

On leading edges use 1/2 tube of GOOP and keep it a little thick, not too thin. Running maybe an inch and a half from the edge top and bottom. Watch out for FUMES and it dries fast. Smear it flat and leave it alone.

I used zero tape on mine. CA the carbon slits and kick it with accelerator.

Also, CA all the wood motor mount seams and attaching points for extra strength.

Obviously, there's option's and others will make different choices.
+1, nix the tape from the kit...it doesn't stick at all. I used goop on the leading edge, low temp hot gllued the fins and ca'd everything else
GRUMPEE is offline Find More Posts by GRUMPEE
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:43 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,521 Posts
We got 10 of these at my club to use for full contact combat. Sunday, a clubmate and I who have the first two finished flew together. It's been quite a while since I've flown a wing and I was a bit nervous about launching. My clubmate uses a backward overhead toss. I tried it and it was successful, but a bit erratic for me. I then tried the sidearm launch as seen on the PopWing video at NitroPlanes. It was also successful, and smoother and more consistant. The wings fly really smoothly and seem stiff enough for more than stock speed. We're flying them stock except for flyer's choice of prop and 3S battery. I bought one ARF and one airframe that I intend to hop up a bit. Great little wing, especially for the money. I just found this thread and I'll read through to see what others have done to them.
Dave
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:33 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,146 Posts
Got my mini flying today, with the park 180 size motor and a 2cell battery. Fun little park flyer wing! A little video but nothing too exciting.
http://vimeo.com/48112701
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:48 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Looking at my mini popwing, the motor mount appears to be slightly off straight. Problem may be one side could not be pushed on as far as the opposite side. It appears the mount came glued to the wing. Anyone else have this issue and what can be done to resolve it? Thanks!