HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:16 AM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,328 Posts
LazerToys at www.lazertoyz.com has the Mini Popwing with everything you need for about $80 shipped. Great deal.

I fly mine on the 3S 500 and it's a great plane.
mt_100 is offline Find More Posts by mt_100
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:32 PM
Love to Fly!
United States, CA, Fairfield
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
I just placed my order with the fast setup. Cant wait to get it! Hopefully it will arrive before the 4'th of July so I can attempt to impress other family members! Ha ha! What is needed to complete the build? I have a Specktrum Dx7. Does it take a standard Rx, or does it require the mini version?

Also does anyone have some good settings I can program my Dx7 with such as Expo settings etc.

Thanks! And Thanks Lazertoys! I cant wait for it to get to my home!
Jetmanjo is offline Find More Posts by Jetmanjo
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
784 Posts
So it looks like I overpowered my Popwing lol

I got the kit with the 2208 1260kv motor and 7x5 prop. I took it out and it flew ok but it seemed to lack power, it was only drawing 6 amps, so I swapped out the stock motor for a Grayson Microjet I happened to have which is 2300kv. With the microjet the plane flew like a missile with unlimited vertical at WoT and 50% throttle is plenty for normal flying.

Unfortunately, I decided to go wide open vertical loop it and do a high speed dive. As I was diving the control surfaces locked up and about 20ft from the ground the motor ripped off. Luckily these are tough planes and with a little gorilla glue I can put the motor mount back on and it will be back on the air.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:21 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Just got in from flying my mini. Fun as always.
I've found the weak link in these for me, other than my flying ability.
I had a nose in from about 15 feet and it just causes the nose to become mushy and weak feeling.
Now both of my Pops have mushy noses.
Got to figure out how to cover or support the front end of these things.
I don't know what to do to get these 2 in order.
Will be thinking on it.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
epyonxero, sorry for your mishap. Why did all of that happen?
Hope repairs go well...

Jetmanjo! Congrats!
You're gonna love it.
Just so you understood clearly, that Fast setup they offer is a good one even on the 2s they recommend. But, it will accept a 3s 500 and be a lot faster. You're gonna be impressed.

Standard Rx is fine. Ail at 70% w. 40% expo. Ele at 60% w. 40% expo.
Conservative settings till you get a feel for it.
Maybe someone else has some figures and you can split the difference.
Good luck and have fun!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Feb 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
epyonxero, sorry for your mishap. Why did all of that happen?
Hope repairs go well...
The only thing I can think of is that in the dive the servos and/or elevons didnt have enough strength to overcome the force of the air. But as I got closer to the ground the elevons were able to point the nose back up and that sudden torque ripped the motor mount off. The body of the plane was bending up but the motor was still pushing down.

I probably should have just come off the throttle but this is my first fast plane so Im still learning lol
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:45 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Did you have all the motor mount joints and mounting surfaces CA'd up?

Jetmanjo! be sure to do that.

We need some way to protect these noses. Just one hit really messes them up.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:28 AM
Love to Fly!
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
Quote:
it will accept a 3s 500 and be a lot faster. You're gonna be impressed.

Standard Rx is fine. Ail at 70% w. 40% expo. Ele at 60% w. 40% expo.
1. What voltage do you set your volt minder to beep at you? I just ordered 6 ea. from E-bay.

2. Do you also use this on your Mini Pop?

Thanks for the settings info. I found that I do have 3 extra 750 mAh 2s packes along with some others from my helis that may work. I agree conservative is a good start for me! When I get better skills, I can get some small 500 mAh 3s packs!

I also want to pick up a C.G. Checker (Stand). Any good location for this item? Hobby King, or E-bay? I havent had a chance to look around yet. Working to much, and flying in what little spare time I have! Ha Ha

Let me know if you figure out something re: the mush nose. I am sure I will need the help in the future!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:39 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
The as received default of 3.3 works well. My 3s batts come out of the air at 11.1 most of the time. That climbs a bit as it rests. It's worked fine for me.

I do use an alarm on both pops. Since these don't have a canopy/hatch storage area, I hot glue them to the body within reach of the balance plug. You can find a spot right up the middle for them.

I recently picked up a cg checker and to be honest, I'm not thrilled with it. To be fair, I haven't used it hardly any yet.
A 2 x 4 with holes across and 2 pencils with teepee erasers would do just fine.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:18 AM
Love to Fly!
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
Quote:
I hot glue them to the body within reach of the balance plug. You can find a spot right up the middle for them.

I recently picked up a cg checker and to be honest, I'm not thrilled with it. To be fair, I haven't used it hardly any yet.
A 2 x 4 with holes across and 2 pencils with teepee erasers would do just fine.
I ordered half a dozen of those Voltage Alarm/Checkers I mentioned to some other guys at the field and thought that was a great idea since most of us just use time, but thats no way to judge how you have been flying throttle wise, etc.

Ha ha, the 2x4 pencil idea makes perfect sense to me! I think I will give that a shot! Thanks!

1. Does the Mini-Pop come with Rx? If not, does it take a standard Rx, or does it require the mini version?

I am hoping they get it in the mail to me today! I cant wait! I made one 7.5 min. flight with my Pop Wing, but the Winds were 8-12 MPH and I got one gust of 17 mph. Got it down safe, but to much work and stress flying in those conditions!!!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:43 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Yeah, I don't like flying at over 9 mph.

They don't come with an Rx. The full size HK OrangeRx is what I use. 5.99 ea.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:31 PM
Love to Fly!
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
Perfect, I just have one Rx. to spare! I was looking at my LED lights, and I bet we could light these up and have a great time flying at night! Just placed a HK order and am getting more lights and switches to turn on and off from the Tx. I just hate waiting so long for the items to arrive. Usually I forget what I ordered by the time it gets to me!

Just got word that my Mini-Pop shipped out today and will take 2-9 days. Thanks Diane! Hopefully the Post Office gets it to me while I am home for a few days!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:43 PM
Love to Fly!
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
After a little more thread reading elsewhere I realizes I DO NOT have the LARGE Pop Wing! I have the Medium size. The Mini Pop is 600mm the one I have is 900mm and the largest one is actually 1200mm. I saw it at Nitro Planes. I am happy with the Medium 900mm size as it fits in my car well. I have the 600mm on order and excited to get it in the air. I would like to see a 1200mm but think it would be larger than I need for my application. Did the rest of you know there were 3 different sizes, or am I just a little slow?!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:07 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
First I've heard of it.
I've reviewed the new designs previously and missed any new size.
Mine are 600mm and 900mm.
Show me a link to a 1200.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:01 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,414 Posts
Here a 1200 MM POPWING. http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-100-p...green-arf.html
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55