SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:46 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,504 Posts
Jetmanjo --

Yes, hard trim the elevons up about 1/8" so they are in that position at neutral stick.

As far as throw adjustments, I have mine maxed out on ail. and elevator. My settings would only help if we had the exact same servos, etc. I'd have to check but I believe my elevons move 3/4 to 1" in all directions. I like about 40% expo on all surfaces for this one.

I also run my CG anywhere from the rearmost point called out for in the manual to 5-10mm behind that and she flys fine.

Get it all adjusted up, dial in the 1/8" up elevons at neutral stick, check the CG and have SOMEONE else throw it for you on the maiden flight.

Have fun!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:30 PM
Joined Jun 2012
19 Posts
I'm new to wings and I bought a Popwing. Been flying it for about 2 days. Few questions about the flying characteristics. When in a down pitch dive, speed builds and the wing just continues to go strait with no tendency to climb with speed. Is this normal? Plus in turns seem to need a fair amount of pitch up to maintain altitude in a turn. Is this usual? About CG I'm at 210 or farther back. What would it fly like with the CG even further back? How should I determine if I should go further back?
martyester is offline Find More Posts by martyester
Last edited by martyester; Jun 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:04 AM
Love to Fly!
United States, CA, Fairfield
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
Thanks Sammy,

I think I have it all set right. I dont have one of those flight control gadgets that tell you the degree of your flight controls (Need to get one so I can be dead on!) I had to eye ball it. I found my throws on the right elevon came up quite a bit higher than my left. I moved my left Aileron travel adjust to 135% to make it match just by "eyeballing" it. Looks like all the throws are even.

After hearing others talk about needing more weight up front, (I dont have a scale or a ruler so just guessing on CG and Weight). I added two ounces in the battery bay. I will test fly it and see how it does. Drop and ounce, fly it, then drop the last ounce and see which is better. If I get too light it will get twitchy and porpouse I am guessing.

It came with the stock prop saver type mount, but wondering if others are using the bullet style. I personally dont like relying on an O-Ring to keep me in the air. Over time they can get weak or rotten and break off. Just my personal preference.

I ordered mine for my birthday through Nitro Planes. To the door was $91 and change. It didnt line up perfectly, but I just made sure the carbon fiber inserts met their marks and went with it. It is close enough so shold be just fine. Thinking of getting the Mini Pop Wing if I end up getting this one dialed in and am able to get it to fly well. I have read all 22 pages and trying to learn as much as I can.

Going to give it a maiden flight tomorrow morning as the winds will be around 7 mph which are the calmest they have been in a week. Currently they are 18-20 and dont want to first flight it unless winds are 10 or below. I will post my results tomorrow.

Hotrod, love your FPV setup. That is very cool. Enjoyed your videos.

Thanks for all the information and posting of trials and errors here. It has been an interesting read, and a fun build. I hope mine fly's as well as everyone elses seem to!
Jetmanjo is offline Find More Posts by Jetmanjo
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:26 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Jetmanjo, you using a DX6i ?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:34 AM
Love to Fly!
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
No, I have a DX7 (Has the same features though I assume?!)
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:56 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
DX6i's have elevon mixing programming errors that cause the kinds of throw issues you have.
I thought that may have applied to your RadJet also.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:00 AM
Love to Fly!
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
I went through and made sure the Rad Jet didnt have that issue! I was flying it without any expo or other settings. I have some programmed in now so I will give it a go also tomorrow! Cant wait to see how they do. Hope the winds are calm for me!

I thought it strange about the right elevon having a noticibly larger throw than the left. I think I got it sorted out though. Although not sure why I needed to do what I did by increases the travel adjust, the servo shouldnt have been out that far! You dont think it would matter that I installed both servo's facing the same direction do you? I could have had one face the aft, but figured it really wouldnt matter.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:17 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
That sounds odd to me. I can't quite picture what you're saying though.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:11 PM
Love to Fly!
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
I just mean that both are facing the same direction, instead of one installed one way, and the other 180 degrees oposite. Not sure it would even matter though.

Just got from my maiden flight this morning. WHAT A BLAST! I had someone else toss it up just to make sure I had everything set well as far as trims elevator etc. I dont think I had to do any trimming on my Tx at all!!!

What helped me, is that I enabled "Flaps" on my Tx. with "Flaps" all at 100% and Elevator at: Normal=0, Mid=50, Land=100. I takeoff in the "Land" position and quickly go to the "Mid" position for normal flying. Going WOT will cause it to clime. When I do WOT flying, I go to "Norm" positon. I can climb high, cut the throttle and put it in "Land" position and just float around for a long time! Well over a minute! Mostly it just helps me launch it with less fear of hitting the ground.

I am thouroughly impressed with this wing. It is my first, but am used to flying Elevon planes so after the first flight I was only gaining more experience. I flew 5 packs with it and no crashes. I am very happy! I used two extra oz. of weight on the first 2 flights, then dropped 1 oz. and added my key fob cam which really weighs nothing. Next Flight day I will try dropping that extra Oz. in the front and see what affect it has. I decided to keep it as is for today and I quit while I was ahead! I flew each 3S 1300 pack for about 10 minutes and when I checked my voltage they were all right at 3.8v per cell! So, with my flying style I should easily get 15 minutes per pack dont you think? Of course as I progress I am sure I will do much more WOT flying!

I now understand the "Fish" smell. Oh well, small price to pay for such a great flying wing! I love it! Winds were probably 0-5 MPH. Hopefully this information helps. I cant wait to watch my onbord video to see what that looks like.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:00 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
They should not be facing the same direction. But as you see it still worked out.

The Mini-Popwing/Bonsai is just as much if not more fun!(on 3s) I have both the big and little one.

You won't need any of the flap stuff anymore.
I just grab mine by the front of the left wing and fling it upward and it just flies away.
Easiest launching plane ever.
You sound close on the flight time I guess.
I don't rely on timing. I use an onboard alarm on all my planes.
You'll be flying along and hear the alarm go off. You have enough left to make a pass or 2 to get landed.
Trust me, you'll love this. It shows you the V of each cell and the total V.

New Style in plastic case: (out of stock as usual but they come in almost weekly.)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18588
Old Style: (I like these better)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8S-LIPO-Ba...item43a998f337

You can fly either of these up to 9 mph no problem.

The fish gets radical when left sitting in the sun! And then put it in the car for the ride home lol.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Feb 2012
812 Posts
Is anyone using a pan pr pan/tilt on their PopWing?
epyonxero is online now Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:11 PM
Love to Fly!
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
They should not be facing the same direction. But as you see it still worked out.

I just grab mine by the front of the left wing and fling it upward and it just flies away.

I use an onboard alarm on all my planes.
Yeah, I made it work! I was just trying to follow the instructions to a "T" and did not realize one needed to be 180 degrees of the other one. (Still Learning!!!)

I like the Onboard Beeper idea! I will definitely have to pick me up a bunch of these! Thanks for the tip! I like to get the most battery usage bang for my buck, and hate landing with 1/4 or 1/2 half a pack charge still on it! Would rather be flying! I am definitely going to order some! What voltage do you set yours to beep at you? You sound like you have it dialed in and will use your experience!

I am definitely going to have to get me a mini pop! Any ideas on the best place to pick one up delivered? I got this Pop Wing from Nitro Planes for about $91 delivered.

What size of 3S batteris to you run with the Mini Pop? I dont suppose the same 3S 1300 I am using with the Large Pop Wing would work right? To heavy? Just hate to go out and buy a bunch of new packs just for the Mini Pop. I do have some 2S 600 to 900 from my Heli's that I could use.

Also, what Servo would you reccomend I get for Mini Pop? Or is there a seller out there with a decent kit price with everything I need? The build looks much easier than the large Pop. Mostly because you dont have to get the two halves to agree with each other.

Thanks!
Last edited by Jetmanjo; Jun 26, 2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Add missing information.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
I'm running this one on my Bonsai 500 3s, 6x3e:
hexTronik 20gram Brushless Outrunner 2300kv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8478

Hot on the bench, cold out of the air.
It needs a timing change. I can't pop the throttle wide open fast. Have to roll it on.
But it's fast and fun. I zoom that little plane to unreal heights and glide it down into the wind.
How to you change the timing on it?
bluemeane is online now Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:55 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeane View Post
How to you change the timing on it?
Timing changes are made via the esc using a programming card.
I'm using a 10a Plush and the besc programming card is on the way.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:57 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Jetmanjo, Bonsai setup info ^^^^^.
Using hxt500 servos.