SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
edit: looking through the logs it looks like both were similar actually with 1300 topping out more.

there are a bunch of mini popwing tests along with 1 popwing test with rcspeedo in the zip file. all in csv format.

for popwing with grayson hobbies supersonic v2 motor i maxed out at 62.3 mph with 2200mah 40C 3S Turnigy batteries.
for mini popwing with lazertoyz fast setup kit i maxed out at 74.8 using 1300mah 3s generic batteries.
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 08:52 AM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
846 Posts
I got everything out and weighed it all last night. On the box, it says a RTF weight of about 4-5oz.

Wing weighed 1.75 oz
2 cell 800 pack 1.75oz
Emax 2805 exactly 1oz.
speed control 18amp 26grams.
servos were 8grams each
prop and collet adapter about 1oz.

So, as is, its looking like around a 6oz. RTF weight.

They did not have the 10amp control in stock so that's why they sent the 18 amp which weighs a lot more. I broke out the soldering iron last night and shortened all the leads coming off the ESC, plus took off the heavy shrink wrap/cooling fin and managed to get the weight down to 14grams with a Deans micro connector. I am now much happier with this weight though its physical size is bigger than I would like and I will have to cut out a bit of foam to mount it in place. I also shortened the battery leads and changed it over to the Deans as well........with everything so close to one another I just couldn't see having all that extra wire and weight dangling around. I also decided that I will be using Cirrus 4gram servos and they fit perfectly in the little cutouts allready in the wing.

I am very interested in hearing what others RTF weights are on this thing........especially Syner01 with that heavy 3cell 1300pack! It would be nice if the wing would handle the extra weight without sacrificing flight quality.
flygilmore is offline Find More Posts by flygilmore
Old May 01, 2012, 08:57 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
edit: let me take that back. the generic could be 800mah 3s also. i really need to double check on my charger. the charging forum told me a way to do it and i never got around to it. now that i have regular 800mah and you mention the weight when i put the generic and sky lipo side by side they are the same size.

here's another video i took over the weekend.

LazerToyz Techone Mini Popwing 800mah 3s (7 min 14 sec)
Last edited by Syner01; May 01, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old May 01, 2012, 10:10 AM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
846 Posts
Sooooooo anyone else out there with a RTF weight of your Mini PopWing that would also care to state your setup?

Syner 01......if your getting approx. 74mph thats awesome, I haven't been able to see the vids yet but I bet for this small thing that's smokin!!!
Old May 02, 2012, 03:31 PM
FPV FTW
United States, TX, Brenham
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
Hey guys, I thought I'd drop by and share my setup with you and show off a couple pics. I'm really digging these wings that I got from LazerToyz. One modification I really like on these and have put on two others is to go buy a spiral notebook that has a thick plastic front cover, and use that plastic to box off the battery compartment, and have the battery come from the top. I gooped the leading edge and used extreme tape for reinforcement. I had a crash so hard that the motor and mount ripped out a big chunk of foam, but the plane was fine otherwise....a little CA and she is good as new.

I also have an FPV version I just finished with 356W...the maiden will be this week.

-Pat
  • TechOne PopWing
  • 2x HXT 900′s
  • 30A Proton ESC
  • ExceedRC Rocket 2210-1650kv
  • APC 7x6E
  • Gens Ace 2200 mAh 3S 25C battery
  • Hitec Optima 7 rx

(It now has a battery strap and the control rods have been cut)
h0tr0d is offline Find More Posts by h0tr0d
Old May 02, 2012, 03:37 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
What's the benefit of putting the battery on the top? I know on bottom it battery breaks off of holder rather than snapping the whole nose off. Does it balance better or something?

On my popwing I average around 60-65mph. Do you happen to know what your average is?

I am not impressed with the roll rate on stock horns. Especially when comparing to my mini. What do you think?
Old May 02, 2012, 04:16 PM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syner01 View Post
What's the benefit of putting the battery on the top? I know on bottom it battery breaks off of holder rather than snapping the whole nose off. Does it balance better or something?

On my popwing I average around 60-65mph. Do you happen to know what your average is?

I am not impressed with the roll rate on stock horns. Especially when comparing to my mini. What do you think?
I too am wondering bought thte battery on top???
Agreed on the roll rate and to speed, Got my new motor today and thinking bout changing to some differant horns aswell, maybe up the roll rate a bit, IDK
OTTOFLYS is offline Find More Posts by OTTOFLYS
Old May 02, 2012, 08:07 PM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
Heres my new setup at the advice of of HeadsUpRc Tech's
Motor http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...00-Zoom/Detail
ESC http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-40-Amp/Detail
Prop http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-6-x-3E/Detail
Battery http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-40C-EZ/Detail

I have to say MONEY WELL SPENT
If someone is considering a popwing...considener this exact setup: its easily double what comes with the stock setup and it Cgs perfectly with this motor/battery combo

No watt meter data yet but I'll post it when I do some testing
-OTTO
Old May 02, 2012, 08:33 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,424 Posts

I run those 2212-6 motors (2200Kv) on lots of different planes and an APC 6x4e is the sweet prop in my opinion...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 02, 2012, 08:52 PM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
I run those 2212-6 motors (2200Kv) on lots of different planes and an APC 6x4e is the sweet prop in my opinion...
I like it so far...only two packs on it now but I will put it on the my thrust gram scale with the watt meter and try a few differant props and see whats really going on. I bought a few of the 6x3 props just to try em and they seem like a good prop but it takes a bit of balancing, the hubs are heavy on one side.
Old May 02, 2012, 09:16 PM
FPV FTW
United States, TX, Brenham
Joined Jul 2011
229 Posts
The reasons for having the battery on top? It's really just personal preference, but here is my justification.
  1. You don't have to land on your battery risking puncture by a rock.
  2. You don't risk ripping the balance wires out of your battery.
  3. If you hollow it out for a 2200, you pretty much have to go all the way through anyway if you want to keep it as aerodynamic as possible.

I have the 2826 2200kv Turnigy motor on my FPV plane. With the APC 6x5.5E, I got 365W @30A on a fresh RMRC 2200 3s 35C battery.

Here's a list of gear on my FPV version:
  • Turnigy 2826 2200kv
  • Proton 30A ESC
  • HXT MG14 Servos
  • HW 3A UBEC
  • APC 6x5.5E
  • PZ0420 Camera
  • FoxTech 500mW 2.4Ghz vtx
  • RangeLink UHF rx
  • Skylark Tiny III OSD

h0tr0d is offline Find More Posts by h0tr0d
Last edited by h0tr0d; May 02, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old May 02, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
It's a simple question. No one was trying to offend you. Thanks for posting your reasons.
For me I don't have rocks where I fly. Doubt I would fly my wing in rocks anyways but I guess I would if I had no other choice. My balance leads are tucked into the Velcro so that's a non issue for me. And from the looks of your pics my battery sticks out just a little more. Of course I had to hollow it out. Same thing you are doing on the top.
Last edited by Syner01; May 02, 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old May 02, 2012, 10:05 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Yea the Grayson motor is 2200 kv also. I use 6x5.5 on it. If you have rcspeedo I would be curious what speeds you are getting. Like I was saying compared to my mini it seems a bit slower and is by about 10mph. The vertical is great as you can see in my vids. Just top end and roll rates aren't quite where I want them yet. I have 6x4 also that I will try but it will likely be slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTOFLYS View Post
Heres my new setup at the advice of of HeadsUpRc Tech's
Motor http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...00-Zoom/Detail
ESC http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-40-Amp/Detail
Prop http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-6-x-3E/Detail
Battery http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-40C-EZ/Detail

I have to say MONEY WELL SPENT
If someone is considering a popwing...considener this exact setup: its easily double what comes with the stock setup and it Cgs perfectly with this motor/battery combo

No watt meter data yet but I'll post it when I do some testing
-OTTO
Last edited by Syner01; May 02, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 07:15 AM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
846 Posts
Well, maidened my Mini PopWing yesterday and I was all smiles!! I came out @ 6 and 1/8oz. RTF with the stock fast setup. Mine came with the 18amp ESC and I spent quite a bit of time shortening all the leads off the esc and managed to cut the weight down to half what it (esc) came in the package. My wing balanced perfectly without having to move a single thing and it scoots!!!!!!! I did not use any strapping tape or extra stuff anywhere and kept if light as I could. I also set up prob. twice the throw that the manual states and it will spin and flip around and do quick axial rolls better than I was expecting. Landings come in at a crawl and you can hold off until it just gently plops down on the grass. I can tell that this is going to be lots of fun. Anyone considering one of these from Lazertoyz will not be dissapointed!!! Deff. get the fast setup....

Thanks Syner01 for the suggestion to get this wing-I am very pleased!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 03, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
@Hotrod thanks for editing the post. Like I said we weren't trying to offend or anything. I totally understand your reasons now that you explain them.

@flygilmore if you get rcspeedo I would be curious what kind of speed you are getting on yours. I think I dig the mini more than the regular popwing myself also right now.