HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:24 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,352 Posts
Just got back from the field with my Popwing. Ran 4 batteries this morning. Why did i wait so long to get a wing ? Had some wind this morning ( nothing like the wind OTTOFLYS had in his video. Sorry bro.) My flight time are running around 5 and a half to 6 minutes with a 1300 mAh. battery. Batteries at 3.72 to 3.75 per cell after flight .
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Contradicts? Just watch the vids. Nothing to confuse there. Good luck with your maiden. I'm sure it will be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygilmore View Post
I will not be charging more than one pack at a time.........If I get back into electrics big time like I used to be years ago then I will look at a more capable charger.....until then, I like what I have.

Thanks for the input.......some of it seems to contradict itself however and I will experiment on my own from here......
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:48 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,352 Posts
Went back out this morning with the popwing. Wind stronger this morning , coming in to land on my second landing and the wind slam her down on the ground. OOPS . Boy, EPP sure can bounce. Only damage was the plywood in the battery tray snap.
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:11 AM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
Ordered a new powerplant yesterday. This one will be it, I'm going to leave well enough alone with this setup. (maybe HEHE)
Motor:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...00-Zoom/Detail
Esc:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-40-Amp/Detail
and a 2200 mah 40C instead of the 30C
OTTOFLYS is offline Find More Posts by OTTOFLYS
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
I'm looking at this one myself.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...KV%5F696W.html
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:14 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid at 55 View Post
Went back out this morning with the popwing. Wind stronger this morning , coming in to land on my second landing and the wind slam her down on the ground. OOPS . Boy, EPP sure can bounce. Only damage was the plywood in the battery tray snap.
Yea that's one of my setup steps now. Thick ca and accelerator the plywood in.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:24 AM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syner01 View Post
It looks good.
I'm sick of waiting on HK orders so I went with Heads up. They have a great tech support staff and ship fast.
I have come to the conclusion the big wing has a piont where you begin to fight the battle with the power to weight ratio. Thats why I say this setup is going to the last for me. I will leave well enough alone and move on to another build.

The Xraycer is my next project, leadfeather designed it, and he did a great job. And its small enough to toss in the back seat.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
yea i am not too impressed with results from supersonic motor on 3s and asking around on forums i am asking for trouble trying to use 4s even with proper esc. it will just burn out the motor. this motor from HK is rated 4s and i was getting decent results on 4s with the wing. this motor is 40grams heaver than the grayson hobby one although with lighter batteries using 4s i think it will even out to about the same as far as weight.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:43 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
his xraycer mod here is pretty sweet

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=36
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTOFLYS View Post
It looks good.
I'm sick of waiting on HK orders so I went with Heads up. They have a great tech support staff and ship fast.
I have come to the conclusion the big wing has a piont where you begin to fight the battle with the power to weight ratio. Thats why I say this setup is going to the last for me. I will leave well enough alone and move on to another build.

The Xraycer is my next project, leadfeather designed it, and he did a great job. And its small enough to toss in the back seat.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:04 PM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
Syner
When I emailed Headsup I mentioned the grayson super mega jet V2 and they pointed out the setup I posted, as their equivelant. If you haven't ordered from HK yet you may also want to look at this one
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...450-Jet/Detail
Its what I will use on the Xraycer
and this style mount, the L bracket. (I made my own, after i broke the wood one)
http://justgofly.com/Order%20Form.htm#Mounts
Mine is ugly but it worked for the test
Last edited by OTTOFLYS; Apr 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
I am posting about the motor here to see what people far more knowledgable than I have to say about it
In case you want to read through for ideas.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1642058

I should've started with this motor I think looking back
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tor-p-585.html
Last edited by Syner01; Apr 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
That one looks nice.
May have to bite on that one lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTOFLYS View Post
Syner
When I emailed Headsup I mentioned the grayson super mega jet V2 and they pointed out the setup I posted, as their equivelant. If you haven't ordered from HK yet you may also want to look at this one
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...450-Jet/Detail

Its what I will use on the Xraycer
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:15 PM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined Feb 2011
404 Posts
I see you already know about that motor...I think It is the best option, But I'm playing it safe with the 400 outrunner this time
If I keep burning up power systems and crashing I'm goin to need a new airframe LOL
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:28 PM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
593 Posts
Well, my Mini PW came today from Lazertoyz.......ordered it on Thurs. evening and have it allready today.........thanks Lazertoyz! I talked with Dianne (I assume) on the phone Thurs. and she was super nice and helpful-even helped me pick out the color of the wing too! Did any of you guys bury your battery down in the foam to make it more streamline or is it not needed? I am anxious to get home from work and check out this new toy!!!
flygilmore is offline Find More Posts by flygilmore
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:10 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
for the mini i know i said i was using 1300mah but today i did some speed tests with rcspeedo and turns out my 800mah 3s had the best top speed again and again. i will post the results in a bit. i was hitting 70+mph with them. to be fair though the 800 are new with about 6 runs on them and the 1300 have about 20 runs on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygilmore View Post
Well, my Mini PW came today from Lazertoyz.......ordered it on Thurs. evening and have it allready today.........thanks Lazertoyz! I talked with Dianne (I assume) on the phone Thurs. and she was super nice and helpful-even helped me pick out the color of the wing too! Did any of you guys bury your battery down in the foam to make it more streamline or is it not needed? I am anxious to get home from work and check out this new toy!!!