HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
awesome Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by potshot View Post
I measured my Popwing and laid it out in AutoCAD. With elevons the total area is 397.6 sq. in. and without the elevons it's 334.9.

Sorry, don't have the mini.
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:28 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Ok a couple more vids. Had a test with proper sized prop on supersonic motor for popwing. Also tried 4s with it. Another mini vid also.

Popwing w/ 850mah 45-90C 4S Battery. I said wrong prop size in vid. I was using 6x5.5E not 6x4E. Also you can see CG is off with this battery as it porpoises a lot. If I use 2200mah it balances great on high rates. For this battery I wound up switching to low rates to even it out even after trimming. Still full throttle power just deaden the sticks for turning. Esc temp check at end of vid.

Lazertoyz Techone Popwing 850mah 4S 45-90C Battery (4 min 8 sec)

Here is the popwing w/ 2200mah 40C 3S Battery. Balances much better. CG is now spot on. Had to carve out battery try and glue battery holder better to make it work. Esc barely gets warm and I get full WOT the whole battery.
Lazertoyz Techone Popwing 2200mah 40C Battery (8 min 0 sec)

Here is the minipopwing w/ generic 1300mah 3S battery. As you can see the smaller minipopwing whips around much better and faster than larger counterpart. I think I like mini better. Thanks Lazertoyz (Dan & Diane) for getting the fast setup kit right. Loving it!
Lazertoyz Techone MiniPopwing 800mah Generic Battery (3 min 20 sec)
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:10 AM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
894 Posts
Ok, so I ordered the Mini Popwing from Lazertoyz with the fast setup. She told me it came with a 2cell 800mah pack......what can I expect speed wise with this setup? Also, I am looking at getting some more packs and I have always been a 3cell person. Of course I want as fast as I can get but still retain good flight qualities. What size packs (weight) should I be looking at and I need them with a JST-XH balance connector.

Thanks
flygilmore is offline Find More Posts by flygilmore
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:27 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
like i said above for mini the best for me for performance and cg has been 1300mah 3s. i also use 800mah 2s and it is slightly slower performance obviously. cg is still decent with the 800mah 2s. it is only on larger popwing that nose weight really counts. for 1300mah i have deans so i have deans to jst adapter when using those.
if you ever need adapters, cables, balance boards, etc. I use these guys
http://www.progressiverc.com/

for instance on 1300mah since i have deans and esc is jst i use this adapter
http://www.progressiverc.com/male-js...le-t-plug.html
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:29 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
i can't remember for sure but i think we were running 800mah 2s on this vid. so compare it to the other vid above that has 1300mah and you can see the difference.

Lazertoyz MiniPopWing (1 min 21 sec)
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:32 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
it only comes with 1 battery. if you stretch it out you may get up to 15 minutes on 1 battery. to do this i fly up high swing around and coast back down. so i do my full throttle, spins, rolls, inverted, etc. on the way up and just coast back down. this will extend your flight times and these wings float pretty nicely.

in the end you need a few batteries though if you plan on being in the field a bit with it. for me i have been running 1300mah 3s nicely and esc barely gets warm (i am full WOT the whole battery except when coasting). the only thing is my batteries are generic so i don't know the C rating. i can only tell you they are 1300mah 3s.

do you have a charger? if so which one?

for batteries i am using various manufacturers and ratings. turnigy, nanotech, sky lipo, and gen ace mostly for 2s and up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygilmore View Post
Ok, so I ordered the Mini Popwing from Lazertoyz with the fast setup. She told me it came with a 2cell 800mah pack......what can I expect speed wise with this setup? Also, I am looking at getting some more packs and I have always been a 3cell person. Of course I want as fast as I can get but still retain good flight qualities. What size packs (weight) should I be looking at and I need them with a JST-XH balance connector.

Thanks
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:44 AM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
894 Posts
I use a CellPro Multi 4 and I currently have a TP 1320 3cell I could use.....I was just curious as to the weight of your batt. setup as I know the weight will be critical with the small wing. So, your Mini Popwing balances just fine with the 3cell 1300pack? Are you using the stock motor?

Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
stock fast kit motor/esc yes. balances great with both batteries. just a little better IMO with 1300 for me. i don't have a scale to weigh the batteries and they are generic so i couldn't tell you the exact weight of them. let's just say they are much fatter than the 2s 800. although they still stay behind the little knob you glue under the front of the wing so you don't clip the battery on landings.

like i was saying the mini doesn't seem to mind the weight change for cg half as much as larger popwing does.

Quote:
I use a CellPro Multi 4 and I currently have a TP 1320 3cell I could use.....I was just curious as to the weight of your batt. setup as I know the weight will be critical with the small wing. So, your Mini Popwing balances just fine with the 3cell 1300pack? Are you using the stock motor?

Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:49 AM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
894 Posts
Just looking around........how will a 2.5-3.5oz battery do in this wing balance wise?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
for low rates on mini with dx7 (if i ever feel the need to use them which i don't believe i do anymore) i am using 40% expo on everything and 100% d/r. i map them to switch and flip to full everything in one shot when i want. i think these days i am just using high rates but you may want to start out with those at first until you get used to it.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Just looking around........how will a 2.5-3.5oz battery do in this wing balance wise?
i don't really weigh them so i don't know per se. i can tell you this much. if you put it in the air and even after you trim it out the thing purpoises up/down very twitchy then you need more nose weight. easiest thing to do is put larger battery but you can add weight any way you want. i know some guy who uses empty pellets from buckshot, glues them together and puts them in. this way he can weigh them.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
remember with that charger you are stuck in the 50w world. you will have trouble with larger 3s and especially 4s and up batteries once you get to them. to top it off if you want to parallel charge you will want to shoot that charger after a little while.

these days most of my batteries are
450 2s
800 2s
850 3s
2200 3s
850, 1300 4s

i can charge up to 6x at a time and in under an hour for each batch. i use an icharger 208b w/p350 power supply from progressiverc. along with octopus leads for connectors and balance taps. this is long term probably the best setup if you are going to be around for a bit. it will cost you initially for this setup but overall you will have a lot less headaches to worry about. chargers are long term investments IMO. just better to get them over with and enjoy charging as much as it can be enjoyed lol.

Quote:

Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:00 AM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
894 Posts
The charger I have works just great........and will charge up to 4C if not more. I don't plan on pushing any packs I have as I don't want to risk a fire.........thankyou, I will wait an extra 30min. I am primarily a 30% and larger gasoline flyer who has just kind of gotten back into a few small electrics. I don't forsee me having anything electric past 5c so I am not worried.

Can you not weigh your wing RTF and tell me what it is???? The site says a flying weight of around 4oz and I know on these small planes that every gram counts.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:04 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
4C? for a 4s battery that thing will struggle and if you want to charge more than one at a time you will get gray hair most likely. if you look in the battery forum on here you will see tons of posts with people using 50w chargers and running into a wall so to speak kind of issues where they are maxed out. it's just a matter of math.

anyways i can try to weigh it on a regular scale but i don't see that helping as it only counts lbs. i don't have a small scale to weight with

Quote:
The charger I have works just great........and will charge up to 4C if not more. I don't plan on pushing any packs I have as I don't want to risk a fire.........thankyou, I will wait an extra 30min. I am primarily a 30% and larger gasoline flyer who has just kind of gotten back into a few small electrics. I don't forsee me having anything electric past 5c so I am not worried.

Can you not weigh your wing RTF and tell me what it is???? The site says a flying weight of around 4oz and I know on these small planes that every gram counts.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:37 AM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
894 Posts
I will not be charging more than one pack at a time.........If I get back into electrics big time like I used to be years ago then I will look at a more capable charger.....until then, I like what I have.

Thanks for the input.......some of it seems to contradict itself however and I will experiment on my own from here......