HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:01 PM
Silver Spring, MD
Joined Oct 2009
10 Posts
Discussion
Pro/Con connecting Rudder to Aileron on 3 channel planes

All, I recently got a new electric plane, Twirl Gyrocopter from Lightflite. It only has elevator and rudder control. I've switched the rudder to aileron, makes it much easier to fly. I got the idea from flying my Ember 2. I complained at first the way the controls where setup on the Ember, always had problems controlling it on the ground, as the rudder didn't do anything (old habits). But is much easier flying in that configuration.

I wanted to get other thoughts/opinions on mapping rubber to aileron on three channel controls. I never would have done this if the Ember hadn't gotten me used to this type of configuration. Is this an accepted configuration ? recommended ?

Thanks,

Joe
eeyore124 is offline Find More Posts by eeyore124
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:15 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Firs of all, the way the transmitter is setup is as follows:

MODE 2

Left Stick:
THROTTLE/YAW

Right Stick:
ROLL/PITCH

DO NOT REFER TO THE FUNCTIONS AS "Aileron/Rudder, ect. ect.".

The REASON why we plug the control surface known as the "rudder" into the ROLL control on 3 channel aircraft is because the rudder actuates ROLL, in conjunction with the dihedral in the aircrafts wing.

When you transition from a 3 channel aircraft that uses tailfeather control surfaces, to a 4 channel aircraft that uses tailfeather AND wing TE control surfaces, you will not have a SINGLE problem, because you have already learned that the Right stick controls the PITCH/ROLL control.

CONTROL SURFACES ARE IRRELEVANT. ROLL is ROLL, NO MATTER what control surface accomplishes it.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:47 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,125 Posts
Rudder........elevator............aileron......... motor.

That is my designation of the control channels.

Plane completely understands those inputs.

Rudder & elevator have always been on my right joystick.

Left joystick is throttle & aileron. 3 to the 6 channel rigs.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Apr 23, 2011, 05:17 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,920 Posts
For some reason Express has taken to shouting and colorizing lately which is totally annoying never mind condescending.

As cyclops pointed out, not all of us fly mode 2, although it is most common in the US. If you're comfortable with mode 2 by all means stay with that mode. I fly mode 2 and on all my rudder/elevator planes I put my rudder in the aileron channel. Also, if the radio permits I use a mix with Rudder master and Aileron slave. That way, both sticks will move the rudder, makes for simple ground handling if you have landing gear.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Apr 23, 2011, 05:26 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,125 Posts
Very common at the fields I fly at.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 05:49 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Very common at the fields I fly at.
You're flying mode 4, are you saying mode 2 is common at your field or mode 4? I really like mode 4, unfortunately I tried switching, but so many years of mode 2 ingrained made it too much of a learning curve to change.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Apr 23, 2011, 05:53 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpress.. View Post
firs of all, the way the transmitter is setup is as follows:

mode 2

left stick:
Throttle/yaw

right stick:
roll/pitch

do not refer to the functions as "aileron/rudder, ect. Ect.".

The reason why we plug the control surface known as the "rudder" into the roll control on 3 channel aircraft is because the rudder actuates roll, in conjunction with the dihedral in the aircrafts wing.

When you transition from a 3 channel aircraft that uses tailfeather control surfaces, to a 4 channel aircraft that uses tailfeather and wing te control surfaces, you will not have a single problem, because you have already learned that the right stick controls the pitch/roll control.

Control surfaces are irrelevant. Roll is roll, no matter what control surface accomplishes it.
you got to be kidding !!!
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:06 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore124 View Post
All, I recently got a new electric plane, Twirl Gyrocopter from Lightflite. It only has elevator and rudder control. I've switched the rudder to aileron, makes it much easier to fly. I got the idea from flying my Ember 2. I complained at first the way the controls where setup on the Ember, always had problems controlling it on the ground, as the rudder didn't do anything (old habits). But is much easier flying in that configuration.

I wanted to get other thoughts/opinions on mapping rubber to aileron on three channel controls. I never would have done this if the Ember hadn't gotten me used to this type of configuration. Is this an accepted configuration ? recommended ?

Thanks,

Joe
eeyore124,

Keep it the way you have it. You will be fine. The rudder plugged into the aileron channel is a very common practice. I have my Eaststar set up that way. Remember your flying it not anyone else. When I switch to my 4 channel 150 Twist with a Saito 220 in it the ailerons are on the right and there is no adjustment to be made.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:20 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,125 Posts
We all agree.

This is one time when anything that feels better to you. Is ABSOLUTLY CORRECT.

Enjoy.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:23 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
For some reason Express has taken to shouting and colorizing lately which is totally annoying never mind condescending.
You don't like it, you don't have to, I'm not making anybody like it. But, I like to make my posts as clear and concise as possible. I have found that the mandated use of bold lettering as well as colorized words helps to allow for a better understanding, instead of clouding the points of the post up with words. It makes the main points stand out, so that the information can be portrayed as best as possible.

I use CAPITOLS to prevent the use of more bold lettering. Not everything has to be bold. The use of different character styling (italics, bold, underline, caps, ect.) allows control of different points, I.E. bold lettering as most important, caps as next important, ect. ect.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:30 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Firs of all, the way the transmitter is setup is as follows:

MODE 2

Left Stick:
THROTTLE/YAW

Right Stick:
ROLL/PITCH

DO NOT REFER TO THE FUNCTIONS AS "Aileron/Rudder, ect. ect.".

The REASON why we plug the control surface known as the "rudder" into the ROLL control on 3 channel aircraft is because the rudder actuates ROLL, in conjunction with the dihedral in the aircrafts wing.

When you transition from a 3 channel aircraft that uses tailfeather control surfaces, to a 4 channel aircraft that uses tailfeather AND wing TE control surfaces, you will not have a SINGLE problem, because you have already learned that the Right stick controls the PITCH/ROLL control.

CONTROL SURFACES ARE IRRELEVANT. ROLL is ROLL, NO MATTER what control surface accomplishes it.
Calm down man, yikes! What have you been putting in your coffee? You go to all that trouble of telling him not to call it aileron and rudder and then call the stabilizers "tailfeathers"? Step down from your high horse. We can use whatever terminology we want. His question did not require you to tell him to do things your way. And another kicker, it's not just roll control on the right stick when you are using the rudder to make turns, it gets learned as both roll and yaw when you learn on a model like that... so it does screw up rudder control down the line. Optimally, on a rudder/elevator/throttle plane you'd mix the left and right stick so that they both control the rudder.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:34 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^Read my above post

I do not use capitol letter to portray volume, UNLESS there is exclamation points at the end of the sentence.

This is not shouting: Part A gets glued to part B- DO NOT FORGET to use the CORRECT adhesive amount, otherwise you might just find out the parts wanted a divorce.

This is shouting: I think that WE SHOULD ALL STOP SHOUTING!!!

ect. ect.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:36 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Quote:
This is shouting: I think that WE SHOULD ALL STOP SHOUTING!!!
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:41 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,982 Posts
Caps = shouting on the internet, regardless of the punctuation, that's just how it works.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:52 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
Last time I tried to type in capitols, I had the feds sniffing down my neck for five months.

Typing in capitals works much better...

Man, I should write EVERYTHING like that
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀