SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2011, 04:16 PM
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Apr 2011
112 Posts
Question
Getting a Syma S031G heli shortly -- anything I need to be aware of?

The subject line pretty well sums it up.
I'm getting a Syma S031G 24" coax gyro heli in a few days; is there anything I need to be especially watchful for?
I have had some experience with the Syma S107G, so the actual act of trimming and flying won't be a huge issue, but is there anything with the S031G that's radically different between the two (electrically or functionally) that I need to be aware of?

Thank you ahead of time.
The_LED_Museum is offline Find More Posts by The_LED_Museum
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2011, 04:49 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
I've never had one but they look like a big doofus-copter to me. Way too many disco lights but worse yet perhaps just a scaled-up S032 (which is a dud and a lot of egg on Syma's face if you ask me). To big and hazardous for indoor use, too vulnerable to breezes for outdoors.

I hope others have more positive things to say. Me, I'd probably cancel the order if possible.

Have you read this yet? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246080

Just re-read it myself and I can't tell whether people like them except as shelf queens.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Last edited by SubtleT; Apr 22, 2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:26 PM
Joined Apr 2011
112 Posts
Re: Getting a Syma S031G heli shortly -- anything I need to be aware of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
I've never had one but they look like a big doofus-copter to me. Way too many disco lights but worse yet perhaps just a scaled-up S032 (which is a dud and a lot of egg on Syma's face if you ask me). To big and hazardous for indoor use, too vulnerable to breezes for outdoors.

I hope others have more positive things to say. Me, I'd probably cancel the order if possible.
One of the reasons (albiet not the primary one) was -- ironically enough -- all of those "disco lights" as you put it. I run The LED Museum at http://www.ledmuseum.org and I deal primarily with lights and products that emit light -- though I did add sections specifically for R/C products about four years ago. Not only do I love things that glow, if they also fly, so much the better!!!

The main reasons I purchased it however are twofold.

1: I wanted a larger 3-ch. heli.
2: I wanted gyro stabilisation because I'm still a bit of a lousy pilot with helis.

I saw it on Ebay, watched some videos of it in action, and pulled the trigger (made the purchase) from the same seller who sold me my S107G a couple of weeks ago.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:32 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
I understand your interest in illumination. I hope you got it at a good price.

The available options in 3CH helicopters seem almost limitless though. Maybe this one will work out well for you.

You might find this one amusing:

Micro HUGHES RC heli. A Flying DISCO BALL ! (4 min 19 sec)

And the SH 6025-1 is pretty disco-rific itself:

Worlds Smallest GYRO Helicopter Metal Mini-X 3.5CH RC Helicopter from HobbyTron.com (2 min 19 sec)
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Last edited by SubtleT; Apr 22, 2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:00 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Hopefully it's not anything like the Syma S032, that thing is about as useful as a brick super glued to a fan.

What was the other heli that you bought that was spinning uncontrollably? No luck in fixing it?

The cheap larger 3 channel coaxials are a big gamble, fingers crossed you finally get one that works.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:09 AM
Joined Apr 2011
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
Hopefully it's not anything like the Syma S032, that thing is about as useful as a brick super glued to a fan.

What was the other heli that you bought that was spinning uncontrollably? No luck in fixing it?

The cheap larger 3 channel coaxials are a big gamble, fingers crossed you finally get one that works.
That POS I got was called the "Metal Series 33cm R/C Coaxial Helicopter" -- the URL to it on my website is http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/32/33copt.htm

And you're correct: no luck whatsoever in repairing it...the "biotch" still spins and does not maintain trim for more than a few seconds tops. :/
The plugs for the motor are polarised, so I cannot insert them into the sockets "backward" which is exactly what I'd need to do in order for the main rotors to spin in the correct directions.

I chose the 103G because it is much larger than the micros I have, and because it has a gyro to make it flyable by even a "craptastic" pilot such as myself. I'm fully aware that because it is a coax, I must fly only in extremely calm conditions -- that even a little wind will make it difficult or even impossible to control and (possibly) subsequently nock it into the next block.
Hopefully, I won't lose it or crash it and cause it to become broken on my first flight...I still want some half-ass video of it in action to add to my website.

Avoiding product loss will be relatively easy: I can just drop the heli in the basket of my electric wheelchair and motor on down to the South County Ballfields (an array of five baseball fields) located approx. 2 miles (~25 minutes one-way) south of here. And if I can also avoid product breakage at that time, so much the better.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:30 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Well, let us know how the S031 goes.

Having a gyro isn't a big deal any more, any heli produced in the last few years will have one.

I have had bad experiences with Syma, their quality control is non-existent. The S107 is the only heli of theirs that I like, but even still my S107 no longer flies, and I never crashed it.

Esky make awesome large coaxial helicopters, unfortunately they're a little hard to find these days.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:47 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Rule on the larger Symas, never fly them longer than 2 minutes at a time. Might help keep it alive, might not. Longevity was a major issue with these. I have a S006G, very handsome midsize coax and still works but many failed in as little as 10 days.

Syma was pretty much a house-du-jonque before they stumbled on 107. Even the second-run 107s are nowhere near as good as the originals (I have 2). Their two tandems are said to be competent. But they're not lit, that I know of.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:43 PM
Joined Apr 2011
112 Posts

Got it earlier this afternoon.
I was surprised at just how potent (large amount of lift, etc.) this "cat killer" has!!!

A couple of videos on YourTube of its maiden voyages -- first outdoors, then indoors (with the door closed to keep out any meowy furry critters):

Maiden flights of the Syma S031G R/C Coaxial Helicopter (1 min 4 sec)

Near the end of this video, it crashed into the left rear quarterpanel of a parked pickup truck.

Brief indoor flights of the Syma S031G R/C Coaxial Helicopter (0 min 57 sec)

And near the end of this video, it very slowly crashed into a wall -- but it sure did raise a stink when it crashed, hahaha!!!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:37 AM
Raager Dat
United States, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
I hate to be nasty nazi but it's a little large for most rooms, and it can't really fly outside since it's coaxial. You should definitely fly it in a spacious indoor area, then you'd have fun.

I got a MJX-F28 (also a coaxial - but a 4 channel from MJX ) and it's an awesome helicopter, but I can't fly it inside. Always flying it in my backyard whenever there's slight wind ( xept sometimes when I'm so impatient I end up loosing it in a tree and or someone elses backyard, I had to get a ladder and whack it with a stick to get it down - and it still flies fine )

Anywho enjoy your S031G
Steve1991 is offline Find More Posts by Steve1991
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:20 PM
Joined Apr 2011
112 Posts
I'm aware of the pitfalls with this particular heli: it's too large to fly indoors in most rooms, and flying it outdoors in any significant breeze is a rather severe no-no.

Best I can do here is to take it to the South County Ballfields in my electric wheelchair on a calm day; it won't become stuck in a tree or go on somebody's roof anyway.

I'm expecting an R/C airplane (a Guillows A-10 Thunderbolt II) this coming Monday -- the only place I can fly it (or any other outdoor R/C plane for that matter) are those ballfields, so I'll just throw the heli in my wheelchair's basket along with the plane and then fly them both in the same session.
Old May 01, 2011, 03:08 PM
Joined Apr 2011
112 Posts

Here is a concatenation of three outdoor flights I made a short time ago today:

Syma S031G Coaxial R/C Helicopter Outdoor Flight (2 min 16 sec)

Concatenation (combination) of three videos on YourTube showing the Syma S031G R/C Coaxial Helicopter being flown outdoors near my home in Federal Way WA. USA. Flights took place on 05-01-11 (or "01 May 2011" or even "May 01, Twenty Double Sticks" if you prefer). Time was 11:03am PDT and the ambient temperature at flight time was 52.0F (11.1C). The heli flew quite a ways away during the last segment of this video; a man (who was "oohing and ahhing" at the flight) carrying a small child plucked it out of the street and handed it to me before an approaching truck might have run over and subsequently sent it to R/C heli heaven.

Those "blotches" in this video are water droplets on the camera's lens that got there when I set the camera & tripod ass'y down in grass while I was setting up -- there was "dew-dew" on the grass that I was not aware of until I dumped the camera's memory into my computer and viewed the vids.
Last edited by The_LED_Museum; May 01, 2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Deleted an unnecessary word.
Old May 06, 2011, 10:23 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
C'mon, SYMA, make a brushless version of this...you can see it's so overweight- and I really think that's always been the problem.

If I ever saw a "Go over and pick the dang thing up...again" -Copter, the S031 would be it.
Maybe you could seek Legal Counsel?

I think another rule for big SYMA's would be to immediately remove the outer side-plates and rear struts...get rid of anything that does not help it fly, period.

THEN fly it the very first time.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Last edited by killbucket; May 06, 2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Camera + S031= waste of $ and time.