HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:37 PM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Discussion
Possible tx/rx issue (motor cuts out but other channels seem fine)

I am a (super) beginner pilot flying a all stock easystar rtf plane. I'm using the cheapo hobbyking 4ch tx with the 6ch rx. What happens is a little distance away the motor completely stops, I still have control of the other channels and land the plane and as I get closer I'm able to start the motor again. This happens at varying times and at varying distances. The thing is the pigtale type antenna coming out of the rx is (now) gone, I would have thought this was the obvious cause but I'm pretty sure my issue was happening before the antenna came off. Though someone mentioned the antenna might have been "in the process of coming off" the whole time.

Anyway here is a picture and I've ordered a replacement receiver. If someone could give me some idea of what steps to make certain the rx is the fault I would be grateful.

Thanks.

mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2011, 04:42 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
I am a (super) beginner pilot flying a all stock easystar rtf plane. I'm using the cheapo hobbyking 4ch tx with the 6ch rx. What happens is a little distance away the motor completely stops, I still have control of the other channels and land the plane and as I get closer I'm able to start the motor again. This happens at varying times and at varying distances. The thing is the pigtale type antenna coming out of the rx is (now) gone, I would have thought this was the obvious cause but I'm pretty sure my issue was happening before the antenna came off. Though someone mentioned the antenna might have been "in the process of coming off" the whole time. Anyway here is a picture and I've ordered a replacement receiver. If someone could give me some idea of what steps to make certain the rx is the fault I would be grateful. Thanks.
The antenna is required and may have been breaking off for some time, intermittant contact providing for flight.
A battery/BEC problem could also be a factor, i.e. your BEC cut the engine to provide power to servo for landing.
Make sure battery is fully charged and not past it's use by date as is case with some older ARTF.

Electronic Speed Control - Why BEC and LVC cause most EP RX problems

If unable to order a replacement plug on antenna,
An alternate 2.4GHz antenna may fit and cure problem.

much more info at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
(quick search = Ctrl+F)

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Apr 22, 2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 05:40 PM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Great information, thanks.
mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:48 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,970 Posts
Sounds like one or both of two issues may be at work.

First, the antenna is absolutely essential and may have been intermittent. But it might have nothing to do with the antenna, which may have just fallen off coincidentally.

Second, motor failing and then coming back on is nearly always a sign of ESC or battery issues. The voltage is dropping below the low-voltage cutoff but then recovers once the load is off, allowing the motor to restart.

This can easily happen if you fail to time your flights and allow the model to fly until LVC. This is VERY hard on the battery and results in premature demise. You should always land before the battery gets below 3.7 volts per cell (measured with no load) so that it never gets to LVC (usually 3.0 or 3.2 but measured under load).
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66