HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:08 AM
Crashing but learning...
Brazil, São Paulo, Sao Paulo
Joined May 2009
463 Posts
Looks good, any flight record, I mean, movies ????

Nelson
Wildweasel09 is offline Find More Posts by Wildweasel09
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:24 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Hi Nelson

Yeah, I'll shoot a short video, that's if the wind ever stops blowing here!!

Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old May 14, 2011, 06:12 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
EPP Spitfire (3 min 0 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2011, 11:45 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,621 Posts
any plans for the build. or even a basic template you used for the fuse
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old May 24, 2011, 11:56 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Hi TheOne

I made two half tubes for the fuse, I forgot to take pictures while I was building the Spitfire, but here's some photos of how I did my P-40 the same way. It's so easy I didn't use plans.
P-40 build link.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1440568

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2011, 04:20 AM
James L
Beck Row Mildenhall
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
I am going to make a quick suggestion. If you are going to use 6mm EPP because that is the rigidity you want then I tend to start with 8mm now and then put an iron over it. First cover the EPP with thick Al foil this doesn't stick as a rule as it cools it will peel off again then run the iron over it until it loses the extra 2mm that gives you a nice smooth surface for your model for the finish to be added to.

Great models like both the Spitfire and the P40
TANGOSIERRAROM is offline Find More Posts by TANGOSIERRAROM
Old May 25, 2011, 06:50 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGOSIERRAROM View Post
I am going to make a quick suggestion. If you are going to use 6mm EPP because that is the rigidity you want then I tend to start with 8mm now and then put an iron over it. First cover the EPP with thick Al foil this doesn't stick as a rule as it cools it will peel off again then run the iron over it until it loses the extra 2mm that gives you a nice smooth surface for your model for the finish to be added to.

Great models like both the Spitfire and the P40
Well, you learn something new everyday.... I've never come across that before, I'm going to give it try. Does it make the EPP stiffer or just smoother?
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 02:56 PM
James L
Beck Row Mildenhall
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
It makes it smooth and slightly glossy if you get it spot on, and it is no stiffer in fact less stiff than the original thickness but stiffer than the new thickness which is why I start with something a bit thicker than I want to end up with. It also seems to resist getting dirt being caught up in it when landing in fields. Rather than paint I often use artists ink to add colour as it weighs almost nothing and finishs easily and is pretty well permanent.

The foil needs to be thick otherwise it has a habit of wrinkling and you have a smooth piece of EPP with the wrinkles etched in it, but with a bit of practice it does leave it looking much smoother.
Old May 26, 2011, 03:03 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Quote:
The foil needs to be thick otherwise it has a habit of wrinkling and you have a smooth piece of EPP with the wrinkles etched in it, but with a bit of practice it does leave it looking much smoother.
James
Regards the thickness of the foil needed, what do you recommend, 2,3,4 or more layers?
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 06:13 PM
James L
Beck Row Mildenhall
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
Andy
If you have turkey foil then you can do it with one layer of foil and then a hot iron and move it slowly from the middle out with the foil stretched tight. If you see a wrinkle forming in the foil stop and reposition. After a couple of goes you will get the hang of it. I haven't tried multiple layers but that might work even better. If you try that let me know how it goes.

James
Old May 27, 2011, 11:10 AM
Jack
United States, FL, Hudson
Joined Feb 2010
389 Posts
Super job again Andy. Glad I looked at your build threads on the P-40 & Spit. It explained allot.

Jack
pjdog is offline Find More Posts by pjdog
Old May 27, 2011, 11:42 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Andy
If you have turkey foil then you can do it with one layer of foil and then a hot iron and move it slowly from the middle out with the foil stretched tight. If you see a wrinkle forming in the foil stop and reposition. After a couple of goes you will get the hang of it. I haven't tried multiple layers but that might work even better. If you try that let me know how it goes.

James
Hi James

OK, I've had a go at the ironing...LOL, I used a double layer of standard foil and followed your instructions by ironing from the centre out, and I did get it to work eventually. I'm not saying it was easy, it was avoiding the wrinkling that was the most difficult. You mentioned thicker turkey foil, I think that's the answer if you want to do it properly. But thanks for bringing some new to me that I didn't know about, learning new stuff is great.
regards
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aero Andy; May 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old May 29, 2011, 11:37 AM
James L
Beck Row Mildenhall
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
I think if I could find a flat sheet of Al about a mm thick I could just stick the iron on it to heat it up but so far I have failed to find anything handy like that. By the way did you like the way the EPP comes out?
Old May 29, 2011, 12:02 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
I must admit it does give the EPP a much smoother surface for painting, I'd have to fill with and sand with spackle for to get a similar finish and it would certainly take longer than ironing.
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 03:52 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
I wonder if it can be baked .

place between 2 baking trays coverd wih foil.
just have to get teh temp & time down.
then you have smooth surface on both sides ?
you could do 2x 1 sided sheets at a time ? just be sur eto put foil between them
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8