SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:12 AM
It's just a new plane honey!!!
Joined Oct 2008
252 Posts
Discussion
HobbyPartz Customer service

Received a new Gen Ace 6s 5300 lipo. 1st balance charge cell # 5 3.88. Any luck with returns to thie company? Sent e-mail called was on hold for 30 minutes. Had great luck with the Gen Ace lipos. Just checking it any one has any experence with returns.

Thanks,

RS
Shuedog is offline Find More Posts by Shuedog
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:43 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,286 Posts
They have customer service?

I give them a lot of buisness but if you have questions or a problem they are very difficult to get a hold of. I don't agree with this way of doing buisness but they suggest making a post over on the vendor pages for HobbyPartz and they are quicker to respond.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:29 AM
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay District
Joined Apr 2007
721 Posts
I have contacted them by email several times and they responded with in the hour. Forget about the telephone though. I have 10 Gens Ace batteries and just ordered another 9. Very pleased with them. Bought Hyperion before this.
Fast Guy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Guy
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:43 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
1st balance charge cell # 5 3.88.
What was the voltages of all of the cells before charging it?

Really the first thing to do when one receives a new LiPoly is to checj each cell's voltage. If any cell is below 3.7 then the vendor should be contacted unless it is HK as they say that this voltage is fine.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined Oct 2008
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
What was the voltages of all of the cells before charging it?

Really the first thing to do when one receives a new LiPoly is to checj each cell's voltage. If any cell is below 3.7 then the vendor should be contacted unless it is HK as they say that this voltage is fine.

Charles
g

Charles,

I did not check before the 1st balance charge. The problem I have is my charger keeps running trying to bring up the 5th cell to 4.20. I tried to discharge, re charge. No luck. Thanks for your help and reply.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:17 PM
Joined Oct 2008
252 Posts
[QUOTE=Fast Guy;18038560]I have contacted them by email several times and they responded with in the hour. Forget about the telephone though. I have 10 Gens Ace batteries and just ordered another 9. Very pleased with them. Bought Hyperion before this.[/QUOTE

I have some other gen ace packs they have been geat. This was my 1st 6 cell. I will contact them my email.

Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:21 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
They have a forum on here in the vendors section.

I was shipped two defective ESCs recently. I tried to call and was on hold for half an hour, then got disconnected. I started a thread in the vendor section they have here and they replaced them both at no cost to me within a week.

I'd call that excellent service.
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:26 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,159 Posts
My SOP after receipt of a new lipoly...

Task #1 - Check voltages of each cell within pack.
Task #2 - Check internal resistance of each cell within pack.
Task #3 - If all is good with #1 and #2, charge at 1C, perform 1C discharge to check usable capacity.
Task #4 - If capacity checks out ok, change to my preferred connector, charge, perform break-in cycles, use pack.

If any disagreeable variance in #1, #2, or #3 is noted, vendor gets contacted the day I receive the pack. I never perform any pack mods (connector swap, etc.) until I know the pack will perform as expected. This makes it MUCH easier to return.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:28 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuedog View Post
I did not check before the 1st balance charge. The problem I have is my charger keeps running trying to bring up the 5th cell to 4.20. I tried to discharge, re charge. No luck.
Have you attempted to charge the low cell via the balance tap as a 1S? IMO, this is by far the easiest, safest, and most efficient way to bring a low cell up. Discharging when one cell is significantly lower than the others can irreparably damage the pack. Don't do this.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:33 PM
Brillion,WI 54110
Joined Jul 2009
593 Posts
I had to return a Blue lipo once because it was leaking and had a puffed cell. I just used their live online chat and was given a RMA# right away and was pretty easy. http://www.hobbypartz.com/forum.html A little way down on the LH side "live help"
planebldr is offline Find More Posts by planebldr
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:33 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Maybe this won't work but can you run the pack on Storage mode on your charger until it draws them all down to 3.80, then balance charge from there?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:35 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,159 Posts
Most chargers do not balance in storage mode. I would not attempt this as it very well may overdischarge and damage the low cell. It's best to charge the low cell via the balance tap.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:36 PM
Brillion,WI 54110
Joined Jul 2009
593 Posts
I also made a charge lead that allows me to charge just one cell by itself. Probably not "good" to do...but it has saved a pack in the past.
planebldr is offline Find More Posts by planebldr
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:37 PM
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Most chargers do not balance in storage mode. I would not attempt this as it very well may overdischarge and damage the low cell. It's best to charge the low cell via the balance tap.

Mark
No problem. I didn't know that. My B6 Ultimate will discharge each cell to 3.80 even if they are off from each other.

How else could it store the cells if it doesn't balance during storage? Do some do it by total pack voltage?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:46 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,159 Posts
All of my chargers simply discharge until the aggregate pack voltage is ~3.85 x number of cells. Balancing during storage discharge is inadvisable as it can then create an imbalance when the pack is subsequently charged (where cell-to-cell balance is critical). This can be dangerous of the cells within the pack are not well-matched with respect to capacity.

Mark
RCG Plus Member