Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 22, 2011, 07:11 AM
Joined Mar 2009
71 Posts
Discussion
Powerlab 8 Parallel Charging

I have a preset set to 1 Amp. I tell it I am charging 4 packs. It is taking the 1 amp and dividing it by 4. So I get a total of 1 amp.

I upgraded to the latest firmware and CSS software last night.

In the past if it was set to 1 amp and I told it I am charging 4 packs it would give me 4 amps.
KAW_Concours is offline Find More Posts by KAW_Concours
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:46 AM
BVH
United States, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Dec 2006
208 Posts
I have to input the total Amps desired (# of packs X's AH rate for each pack) to charge each pack at the desired rate.
BVH is online now Find More Posts by BVH
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:30 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAW_Concours View Post
In the past if it was set to 1 amp and I told it I am charging 4 packs it would give me 4 amps.
I'm pretty sure it never worked that way. Although I sure wish it would! Seems like a good candidate for a firmware change.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:22 PM
Joined Mar 2009
71 Posts
I found out if I am setting it up from the charger as you add batteries it adds amps like I think it should.

If I am setting it up from the CSS softeware it does not add amps.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 01:27 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,095 Posts
What preset and firmware version are you using? I'm unable to repro your results on my PL8.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:02 PM
Joined Mar 2009
71 Posts
I have the lastest firmware and the lastest CCS software.

I have tried several presets.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:30 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,095 Posts
Hmmm. I'm running version 3.24 and none of my presets work that way. If the preset is set to 1amp, and I select 4P, each pack will get 250ma. I would like to know what you are doing differently as would prefer it the other way.

Tim, Howard, comments?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:22 AM
Joined Mar 2009
71 Posts
Are you running the PL8 from a computer or using it direct?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:14 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,095 Posts
Direct. Inputing the number of packs directly on the PL8.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:36 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAW_Concours View Post
I have a preset set to 1 Amp. I tell it I am charging 4 packs. It is taking the 1 amp and dividing it by 4. So I get a total of 1 amp.

I upgraded to the latest firmware and CSS software last night.

Hi:

Not sure about the confusion here? The PL8 always takes the set charge and discharge rates, and divides that by the number of packs in parallel. If you set a charge rate of 1A, and choose 2P, it will deliver 500 mA to each battery pack.

Nothing has ever changed with the way this works since we released the product. v1 and v2 both operate the same way.

Possibly, you are confusing the charge rate settings you have charge vs. discharge?

Or possibly, you are confused between the way the PL8 LCD displays the information vs. the way the CCS displays it. At the charger, when you starting a process, you can alter the set current and watch the LCD do the math for you. But when you start the process using the CCS, you can not alter the rates at this stage. You have to edit the preset and change it there first. Then when you go to the START window, it will display the results. For this reason, I prefer to start a process at the PL8 when dealing with parallel packs.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:41 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,095 Posts
Thanks Tim. Is this something FMA would consider changing? I would much rather have the parallel value multiply the present's current value instead of having manually set the current. I know what the current value is for the preset, and now I've told the PL8 how many packs I'm charging. The PL8 has the information, why not use it instead of forcing another input from the user?

I currently have 4 presents for the same pack configuration that I use instead of having to manually change the current depending the number of packs I'm charging in parallel. I'd rather use the same present and let the PL8 use the selected packs in parallel to automatically multiply the present current value by the number of packs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:24 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Thanks Tim. Is this something FMA would consider changing? I would much rather have the parallel value multiply the present's current value instead of having manually set the current. I know what the current value is for the preset, and now I've told the PL8 how many packs I'm charging. The PL8 has the information, why not use it instead of forcing another input from the user?

I currently have 4 presents for the same pack configuration that I use instead of having to manually change the current depending the number of packs I'm charging in parallel. I'd rather use the same present and let the PL8 use the selected packs in parallel to automatically multiply the present current value by the number of packs.
Hi:

Hmmm... I don't know about this one. The product has been on the streets now for nearly a year. To change a basic UI operation such as this at this late date would only lead to more confusion I think. But I'll add your request to the new feature ss we track and we'll consider it.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Tim Marks
Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:48 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,095 Posts
Perhaps it could be added as option, either on the "Preset" or in the "Options" tab.

Parallel Charge Selecton:

Settings:

1) Divide present current by number of packs selected (default)
2) Multiply present current by number of packs selected
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:40 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Perhaps it could be added as option, either on the "Preset" or in the "Options" tab.

Parallel Charge Selecton:

Settings:

1) Divide present current by number of packs selected (default)
2) Multiply present current by number of packs selected
Hi:

Perhaps. I'll update the information accordingly.

Tim Marks
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:46 PM
Joined Mar 2009
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

Hmmm... I don't know about this one. The product has been on the streets now for nearly a year. To change a basic UI operation such as this at this late date would only lead to more confusion I think. But I'll add your request to the new feature ss we track and we'll consider it.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Tim Marks
I never noticed the using the charger it was dividing the preset. I have been adjusting the amps to what I want.

I don't see why I should even set it to 4P. Might just as well leave it as 1P I guess.