HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2011, 06:23 AM
Joined Nov 2006
71 Posts
Discussion
converting a coax esc/reciever to a single rotor

hey .. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on converting a nine eagles reciever/esc to a single rotor set up.basically i was hoping i could block the gyro feed to the main rotor as the gyro uses both motors
kahn10 is offline Find More Posts by kahn10
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:59 AM
Joined Nov 2007
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahn10 View Post
hey .. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on converting a nine eagles reciever/esc to a single rotor set up.basically i was hoping i could block the gyro feed to the main rotor as the gyro uses both motors
I assume you are talking about something like a 4 in 1 unit with a receiver, gyro, mixer and two motor outputs. Circuit wise they are very close to the units used on something like an Esky FP helicopter with a main motor and tail motor. I have noticed that there are a large number of 3 in 1 units for the E-Flite Blade CX2 for sale on Ebay. (E-FLITE EFLH1023 Control Unit Mixer/ESCs/Gyro CX2) These look just like the 3 in 1 I have on a FP helicopter (gyro, mixer and ESC - no receiver). I have wondered if they are identical units.

There is no reason the circuits could not be the same but with different microcode. Also there is no reason that the gyro needs to control both motors on a co-axial, controlling one motor would be enough. In that case the same 4 in 1 would work on either a co-axial or FP.

I suggest that you test your 4 in 1 to verify that the gyro controls one or both motors. If it only controls one motor, then no modifications would be needed to use it on a FP helicopter.

If the gyro controls both motors you need the servo signal for the main motor which could be used as an input to an external ESC for the main motor. If only the PPM signal is available, then it gets harder.

Also the output from the Nine Eagle ESC's would have to be big enough to power the motors on the FP helicopter. Otherwise a booster circuit would be needed.
mjsas is offline Find More Posts by mjsas
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:21 AM
Joined Nov 2006
71 Posts
gyro definitely affects both motors....sooooooo..............can i sidetrack the channel three signal before it gets to the gyro and feed it to another esc then use that to power the main rotor,leaving the 4in1 to run the tail and servo's? i realize a photo would be extremely helpfull
kahn10 is offline Find More Posts by kahn10