SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by beladog, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:28 PM
Fly Big, Low and Slow....
USA, VA, Wicomico
Joined Aug 2008
1,358 Posts
What are you using for isolating the SMA bulkhead connector from the frame of the box?

Red looking thing?

Your GS is really nice and solid and well put together!

You just need a handle on it now.

Link to my GS in case your interested-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...127491&page=48

Thanks

-Anson
Alpina540 is offline Find More Posts by Alpina540
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:19 PM
There's A Hack For That.
United States, CA, Del Mar
Joined Oct 2008
467 Posts
Hey thanks! And might I add yours is quite possibly my new favorite!
What a beautiful GS you made bro!
I have been looking for a volt meter just like yours and simply can not find one anywhere! Do you mind if I ask where you got it?
I love the battery box and the custom battery sleeves too. And the molding you made with those covers... looks like you have done some stereo work before ; )

The red O-rings you see came with the DPCAV extensions here
I think its mostly to H2O proof the hole because it is only on one side and the nut on the outside clamps pretty hard against the case ruining any "shielding" going on Lol.

ps, funny you mention a handle... The fifth person to do so. Thinks I better go gets me one soon Lol.
Thanks for the kind words my friend!
Best wishes
Jake
beladog is offline Find More Posts by beladog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Super Easy Quad Domes!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:55 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,505 Posts
Just curious.... I saw pictures of this on the home page and I'm wondering what it's for.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:27 AM
USA, VA, Wicomico
Joined Aug 2008
1,358 Posts
Its a receiver for a video transmitter that is on board the plane. The ground station receives the live video from the plane and it can be displayed by either video goggles or a monitor.

-Anson
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:37 AM
USA, VA, Wicomico
Joined Aug 2008
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beladog View Post
Hey thanks! And might I add yours is quite possibly my new favorite!
What a beautiful GS you made bro!
I have been looking for a volt meter just like yours and simply can not find one anywhere! Do you mind if I ask where you got it?
I love the battery box and the custom battery sleeves too. And the molding you made with those covers... looks like you have done some stereo work before ; )

The red O-rings you see came with the DPCAV extensions here
I think its mostly to H2O proof the hole because it is only on one side and the nut on the outside clamps pretty hard against the case ruining any "shielding" going on Lol.

ps, funny you mention a handle... The fifth person to do so. Thinks I better go gets me one soon Lol.
Thanks for the kind words my friend!
Best wishes
Jake
I got the voltmeter off Ebay for 3 dollars I think.... I don't see my exact one but these are close take your pick.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=led....c0.m270.l1313

Hmm... odd about the grommet. I would think you wouldn't want the case touching the ground plane of the antenna wire but I could be wrong.

I am going to add another rx and a sma bulkhead mount on the top of my GS to allow an omni to be screwed in for diversity.

-Anson
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:45 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina540 View Post
Its a receiver for a video transmitter that is on board the plane. The ground station receives the live video from the plane and it can be displayed by either video goggles or a monitor.

-Anson
Ah ha... That's a pretty sophisticated looking device. Very nice work!

Thanks.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:24 PM
There's A Hack For That.
United States, CA, Del Mar
Joined Oct 2008
467 Posts
@Mr. Wiz
Thanks! Actually most of it is off the shelf parts, I just like clean "no muss" wires so I soldered everything to the boards to get rid of the bulky plugs and tucked it all into a box to keep it all in one small place. you should check out fpv on youtube. Pretty cool stuff...and getting much more inexpensive to get into.

@Alpina540
The case is aluminum and from what I can tell so far there has been no adverse effects. The receivers come stock with SMA mounted to the steel cases w/o grommet so I would think you will be fine. I absolutely recommend diversity. What a difference it will make for you! Do you plan to use the EE or Oracle to control it?
best wishes friends!
Jake
beladog is offline Find More Posts by beladog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Super Easy Quad Domes!