HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2011, 07:38 PM
United States, HI, Pearl City
Joined Aug 2006
295 Posts
Discussion
FrSky Module Hack

Hi!

Just finished hacking my RD 6000 Super with the FrSky V8HT 2.4 Ghz Module. After some research on RCGroups and other places I decided to use a switch for the power to the module since I could not find any information to power off the RF section without taking out the crystal or going through the trainer port. I didn't want to use the trainer port so I decided to just take out the crystal each time I want to use the 2.4.

I don't have any extra FrSky receivers to do a range check. I have some on order and will use them with the new setup. I plan on using the 2.4 system mostly for DLG since the transmitter is nice and light with a LiFe battery and does most of want I want for mixing.

I'll let the pics take it from here.

Scotty
wsmorton is online now Find More Posts by wsmorton
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2011, 07:58 PM
USA, ME, Plymouth
Joined Aug 2006
271 Posts
Nice clean install Scotty! I really like the FrSky product too.

Mike
Freakflyin is offline Find More Posts by Freakflyin
Old May 22, 2011, 11:55 AM
central Arkansas
Joined Feb 2004
12 Posts
Problem with my installation

I just installed the DIYmoudleV8HT in my RD6000 following your pictures with the only change being that I put a servo connector in the wires going to the transmitter (gnd, v+ and PPM signal).

I have a problem. Though I can bind the transmitter and the receiver (V8R7) with no problem, it's that no other signal gets to the receiver, there is no servo movement unless I remove the RD6000's antenna.

Do you have to remove the RD6000 antenna to get yours to work? I'm kind of concerned that running it like this will overload then 72mhz transmitter and burn it out.

Louis
lsippell is offline Find More Posts by lsippell
Old May 22, 2011, 12:05 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,220 Posts
If the 72MHz part still powered?
Shouldn't... at least to save battery, is not other isues, as you described.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old May 22, 2011, 12:17 PM
smokin electrons...
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,257 Posts
nice setup...how did you figure where to place the signal wire? i have the corona dıy module and ım not sure where to connect the signal wire in my JR X-347?
skyzking is offline Find More Posts by skyzking
Old May 22, 2011, 12:48 PM
central Arkansas
Joined Feb 2004
12 Posts
How do you remove power from the 72MHz section?

Louis
lsippell is offline Find More Posts by lsippell
Old May 22, 2011, 06:23 PM
7SP
- Remove before flight -
Under a rock...
Joined Dec 2006
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
If the 72MHz part still powered?
Shouldn't... at least to save battery, is not other isues, as you described.
IMHO: I would lose the big toggle switch to change from one to the other. It's not like rates or retracts and your going to need to switch it in mid-flight. Personally I would want the switch recessed and as difficult (nearly imposable) to accidentally change as possible. If you have to open up the unit to removed the crystal then the external switch would only serve to accidentally knock yourself out of the air.

7SP
7SP is offline Find More Posts by 7SP
Last edited by 7SP; May 22, 2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:57 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsippell View Post
How do you remove power from the 72MHz section?

Louis
Most radios of this class have clearly divided the mainboard in two blocks (the red line)
Left side is the "brain" that handle sticks, switches, display, and finally produce a single output, the PPM.
Right side is the RF block, that transmit to the antenna the signal.
If you watch along the red line, there are only 3 tracks the cross it.
One is PPM, already identified by you.
One of the other two should be the power for RF block, I drawed green circles where to check.
If the area in yellow elipse is the power switch, then you must check what PCB track comes from that area to the right side, crossing the red line, it's also a hint that it's a power line.
Old May 23, 2011, 01:12 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Another solution. Sell RD6000 and buy RDS8000 2.4 which is not so expensive radio.

In countryside, 72MHz is still used. You will find a buyer.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:39 AM
United States, CO, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
Is this conversion still possible? I have an old RD6000 collecting dust and thought this would be a useful way to bring it back to life. I did some searching for the hack module and seems it is discontinued?
hlgcory is offline Find More Posts by hlgcory
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:27 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,220 Posts
The one way is discontinued, the two way still on sale.
http://www.alofthobbies.com/diy-telemetry-module.html
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:39 PM
United States, CO, Windsor
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. So this is a total noob question but what is the difference in the one and two way? The addition of telemetry?
hlgcory is offline Find More Posts by hlgcory
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:44 PM
Joined Jan 2006
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlgcory View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. So this is a total noob question but what is the difference in the one and two way? The addition of telemetry?
Yes
gzkpez is offline Find More Posts by gzkpez