Eagle Tree Systems
Fantasy of Flight
Horizon Hobby
RC Pilot Magazine
SIG Mfg.
Soaring Circuits
Tailwind Gliders
Tower Hobbies

*** THE LINKS FOR EARLY ENTRY FORMS ARE AVAILABLE ON THE MID-FLORIDA RC WEBSITE: http://midflrcclub.com ***
DISCOUNT FOR EARLY ENTRANCE

The Mid-Florida RC Club will be hosting a 2-day Mid-Winter ALES Contest on Saturday, February 25, 2012 and Sunday, February 26, 2012. The contest will take place at the Mid-FLorida flying field, located near Fantasy of Flight in Auburndale, FL. The field is north of I-4, at exit 44. Detailed directions to the flying field are available on the Mid-Florida RC website.

There will be 2 Meter and Unlimited classes flown. Prizes will be awarded to first through third places, plus a high point grand champion.

Dry RV camping and tents will be allowed on site. No water or electricity available on site. No fires allowed on the ground, but grills are okay. A full service RV park is less than one mile away. (Le Lynn RV Resort 800-736-0409) If you desire to stay there, I suggest you make reservations early. There are 2 other RV Parks in Davenport, FL, in the vicinity of I-4 and US 27. Also located less than one mile away, is a large Love's truck stop with dumping facilities and diesel fuel.

We are working on hotel recommendations in nearby towns.

Vendors are welcome at no charge.

The average daytime high temperature for central Florida in February is 73 degrees F.... a nice respite for our Northern friends!

If you have any questions, please contact CD at dongrisham@hotmail.com
dong727 is offline Find More Posts by dong727
Last edited by dong727; Feb 14, 2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Additional Information
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:10 AM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined Nov 2004
117 Posts
Hotel Information

Following is information on hotels near Fantasy of Flight:

Hampton Inn
1 (863) 420-9898
44117 Hwy 27, Davenport, FL 33897
http://m.google.com/u/m/dmzR1m

BEST WESTERN PLUS Auburndale Inn & Suites
1 (863) 551-3400
1008 us hwy 92 w, Auburndale, FL 33823
http://m.google.com/u/m/xLxgyO

There are many other places to stay here in Central Florida. If you are going to search on your own, the closest cities are: Auburndale, Winter Haven, Haines City and Davenport, and of course, Orlando has unlimited choices.

While you are in Central Florida, there are almost an unlimited number of attractions for you and your family to visit. Go to
http://www.visitcentralflorida.org to more information.
Last edited by dong727; Sep 26, 2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:47 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined Nov 2004
117 Posts
ALES Contest

Notice: The dates have been changed: February 25 & 26, 2012

Sorry, guys, I do not fly hand launch and was unaware of the conflict until after it had already been coordinated with Fantasy of Flight and sanctioned by the AMA. These events are located over 140 miles apart and are two distinctly different events. I don't think that our ALES contest will distract from your event. On the other hand, you may attract some of our potential participants.
Last edited by dong727; Sep 23, 2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: More information
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:44 PM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
480 Posts
Really looking forward to this event. I think its great to have a two day ALES event!
Cant wait.
Jody
sailjester2811 is offline Find More Posts by sailjester2811
Last edited by sailjester2811; Aug 14, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:10 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
681 Posts
Florida 2012 contests

I am always happy to post Florida Contest scheduled on the FSS website. FSS sanctioned event or not!

As the FSS website states: "Our goal is to have friendly get together's, for all to enjoy and to promote the art of soaring. Another goal is to encourage new participants to join us, as we are always willing to teach new members the wonders of Soaring!"

Last time I pondered it... ALES and DLG are both great fun forms of Soaring.

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian
Old Aug 02, 2011, 07:04 AM
Orlando "Buzzards" FL
Joined May 2002
1,192 Posts
Lets not be too hard on Don, he is restricted by the Fantasy of Flight event schedule! Let us just support Don and his club as much as we can for putting on their great events, It is a tough choice we have to make, it is what it is.
Raed
raed5 is online now Find More Posts by raed5
Old Aug 02, 2011, 06:15 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dong727 View Post
MID-WINTER ALES CONTEST
HOSTED BY
MID-FLORIDA RC CLUB

The Mid-Florida RC Club will be hosting a 2-day Mid-Winter ALES Contest on Saturday, February 25, 2012 and Sunday, February 26, 2012. The contest will take place at the Mid-FLorida flying field, located near Fantasy of Flight in Auburndale, FL. The field is north of I-4, at exit 44. Detailed directions to the flying field are available on the Mid-Florida RC website.

There will be 2 Meter and Unlimited classes flown. Prizes will be awarded to first through third places.

Dry RV camping and tents will be allowed on site. No water or electricity available on site. No fires allowed on the ground, but grills are allowed. A full service RV park is less than one mile away. (Le Lynn RV Resort 800-736-0409) If you desire to stay there, I suggest you make reservations early. There are 2 other RV Parks in Davenport, FL, in the vicinity of I-4 and US 27. Also located less than one mile away, is a large Love's truck stop with dumping facilities and diesel fuel.

We are working on hotel recommendations in nearby towns.

Vendors are welcome.

The average daytime high temperature for central Florida in February is 73 degrees F.... a nice respite for our Northern friends!

If you have any questions, please contact CD at dongrisham@hotmail.com

What height will the Limiters be set to for 2M and Unlimited and will it be OK to fly the same plane in both size classes ?? TIA

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Last edited by Ray Hayes; Aug 16, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:28 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined Nov 2004
117 Posts
ALES Contest

Ray:

Nice to hear from you. Right now, my thinking is 150 meters for the 2 Meters and 200 for Unlimited. We plan to fly 2 Meter on Saturday and Unlimited on Sunday. That will help to keep things simple and not require constant shifting of the cut-off altitudes. Certainly, you can fly a 2 Meter both days.

Regards, Don
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:38 PM
AECS USN RET. P3 FE
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Mar 2004
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dong727 View Post
Ray:

Nice to hear from you. Right now, my thinking is 150 meters for the 2 Meters and 200 for Unlimited. We plan to fly 2 Meter on Saturday and Unlimited on Sunday. That will help to keep things simple and not require constant shifting of the cut-off altitudes. Certainly, you can fly a 2 Meter both days.

Regards, Don
You sure you don't want it the other way around
150 for 3M
200 for 2M
Allan
allanp is offline Find More Posts by allanp
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:07 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanp View Post
You sure you don't want it the other way around
150 for 3M
200 for 2M
Allan
What? Why?
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Aug 04, 2011, 06:10 AM
Joined Apr 2003
1,596 Posts
I haven't flown or been a CD for an ALES contest yet, but I have picked up on the buzz about what Limiter height to use.

The lower the launch height, regardless of sailplane size, the tougher the contest. Lower height requires greater flying skills to make a 10 minute max consistently. To some degree, the height limit could be used to set up a Novice and Expert class contest, the lower height for experts. But, if I would set up an Expert-Novice contest based on height, I wouldn't use the terms Expert and Novice or make the wing span a requirement, at least not in my first couple contests. I would like the contestants to be exposed (and me) to flying both heights and let them decide over time what was most enjoyable and most competitive.

I like the 150 M for 2m from the aspect it requires less $$$ to have a competitive plane/equipment which would likely draw more contestants.

As I said, I haven't been there yet, but it seems to me a 200 m launch height with a high performance UNL is more fun fly than contest. Especially, if the pilot is allowed to search 360 degrees during launch mode.

I have a finished OLY lll and Big Bird waiting for me to install the E equipment and a 2M Lil Bird with motor installed, but not the Limiter. Sky Bench keeps me in the " House painters Syndrome "
with my personal building and flying.

ALES is a very good thing for the soaring hobby, hope it really catches on.

Ray
Old Aug 04, 2011, 04:19 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined Nov 2004
117 Posts
ALES Contest

Ray:

I really do appreciate your thoughtful comments. So far, our three contests have been limited to 200 meters. Our next event on Oct. 15 will be limited to 150 meters for all classes. We may also shorten the task times. We are still very much in the learning and exploring mode.

At our first event, we had an open fly-off for a special prize and it was won by a sub 2 meter Woody. I don't know what it was, but perhaps if Rusty Carver is watching this thread, he can let us know.

Again, thank you for your comments. They are always welcome. Are you planning to join us in February?

Regards, Don
Old Aug 04, 2011, 05:32 PM
Joined Apr 2003
1,596 Posts
Don,

I hope to be there, CH 56, will be happy to fly what ever heights, etc. are chosen. If I don't have my planes ready by then, I should probably take up bowling.

Are you expecting Leon Kincaid to attend ?

Ray
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:15 AM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined Nov 2004
117 Posts
ALES Contest

Ray:

Look forward to meeting you, but I'm sorry, I don't know Leon Kincaid. But he's certainly welcome to attend!

Don
Old Aug 06, 2011, 06:33 AM
Joined Apr 2003
1,596 Posts
Leon lives in Port Richey, he designed several great flying sailplanes and is now flying them with e power. I hope he is into ALES.

Ray