HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:57 PM
Joined Apr 2011
14 Posts
Discussion
best epoxy/microsphere mixture for interesting application

For a project, I am testing different types of airfoil designs. I am making them out of fiberglass and inserted two aluminum bars through the bottom so that I can easily attach/detach them from a frame. (See attachment with picture). There will be rectangular pieces cut out of the foam and then I am going to place the bars in those openings and layup the fiberglass skin around the foam and bar, which will be flush with the bottom surface.

My question is what is the best way to secure those bars in the foam before the fiberglass is layed on top? My initial thought was to make a thick microspere slurry and press the bars into it, but Im worried that it wont be strong enough/the epoxy wont stick to the aluminum surface. Any suggestions on other epoxy/filler mixtures to use?
rmgrc is offline Find More Posts by rmgrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:14 PM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
You would be better off with making end ribs and a cross plate out of ply with blind nuts rather than trying to fit an aluminum bar. The aluminum bars will basically only have the skin retaining the bars in your plan.
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
Last edited by talonxracer; Apr 21, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 03:59 PM
Joined Apr 2011
14 Posts
Could you elaborate on what you mean with using a cross plate with blind nuts?

Also in regards to the method I was planning on using, do you know of any epoxy/microsphere mixture that would work and hold onto the aluminum. Or will it simply not adhere to the aluminum.
rmgrc is offline Find More Posts by rmgrc
Old Apr 21, 2011, 06:35 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgrc View Post
Could you elaborate on what you mean with using a cross plate with blind nuts?

Also in regards to the method I was planning on using, do you know of any epoxy/microsphere mixture that would work and hold onto the aluminum. Or will it simply not adhere to the aluminum.
Adhering to the aluminum isn't an issue. Plane resin will do that if the aluminum is roughed up for mechanical bond.
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks