SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:35 PM
Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
Discussion
Which radio has telemetry, user updatable fw and no touchscreen nonsense?

I'm in the market for a new radio system. Requirements:

1. At least 8 channel

2. telemetry

3. no touchscreen

4. Nothing to do with Horizon Hobby

5. 8ch Rx with telemetry shouldn't cost more then 70$

6. Firmware update that can be done by the user and doesn't require professional equipment (memory card slot, USB, trainer port connection to the PCB and so on)

7. Decent quality build and decent support, either from the manufacturer or from the owner's community.

Do I have any chance to find this unicorn?
Gerula is offline Find More Posts by Gerula
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:12 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,639 Posts
if you don't find any radio that has all your points then the Spektrum DX8 fits all of them MINUS #4 requirement...There 8 ch rx also does not suit the #5 requirement but the one the comes with the radio having not paid for the RX itself then does fit the bill..

Then I was going to say the A9 but HH does sell it so does that count for the #4 requirement?

Then there the 8fg from Futaba but it also does not meet the #2 & 5 requirement.

All you need to do is ask yourself what you need, what you are going to need in the future and what you like. Then once you have a small list of radio that fit the bill pick the least expensive or best bang for the buck.

DX8 is probably going to be at the top of that list but maybe not because of its HH connection and the fact that you are not liking them lately..
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:32 PM
Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
Aurora 9 has touchscreen so definitelly no. Dx8 is HH and has expensive Rx so no no. Futaba 8fg has no telemetry, so no again.

What other radios that have telemetry are around?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:43 PM
Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
I read that a guy managed to implement telemetry on the Turnigy 9x using the FrSky telemetry module/Rx plus a custom firmware. http://code.google.com/p/gruvin9x/wiki/FrSky

Is that correct? Is it working as intended?

That mean the 9x would easily pass points 1-5, fail the 6 (but get over it with reasonable cost and tinkering) and partially fail 7 (the QC part)

What I really hate at this radio are the cheap feel and the poor QC, but it's low price seems to attract people who are willing to put effort into developping firmware.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:16 PM
Joined Sep 2006
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerula View Post
I'm in the market for a new radio system. Requirements:

1. At least 8 channel

2. telemetry

3. no touchscreen

4. Nothing to do with Horizon Hobby

5. 8ch Rx with telemetry shouldn't cost more then 70$

6. Firmware update that can be done by the user and doesn't require professional equipment (memory card slot, USB, trainer port connection to the PCB and so on)

7. Decent quality build and decent support, either from the manufacturer or from the owner's community.

Do I have any chance to find this unicorn?
Maybe http://www.multiplex-rc.de/
Telemetrie (4 min 14 sec)

MPX in action :
JetCat turboprop with Multiplex M-Link Telemetry (5 min 32 sec)
mifi is online now Find More Posts by mifi
Last edited by mifi; Apr 21, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:23 PM
Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
That looks different (not necessarely a bad thing)

What are the prices for the radio/telemetry module/ telemetry Rx's?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 03:04 PM
Joined Sep 2006
34 Posts
The prices difers from shop to shop. Since your country is in EU you can buy MPX without extra charges (custom fee) from eg. DMT (http://shop.d-m-t.at/htm/function.as...01-00004-00001) or Schweighoffer ( http://www.der-schweighofer.at/wg/30...ter_rc-anlagen)
mifi is online now Find More Posts by mifi
Last edited by mifi; Apr 21, 2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 05:21 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,486 Posts
The coming XPS 16ch at $250.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 22, 2011, 07:03 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,389 Posts
I wouldn't count on the XPS transmitter showing up anytime soon plus as it will be a first generation transmitter ever made by them you will end up being essentially a Beta tester.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Apr 22, 2011, 07:04 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Each company has some loyal customers that never give up, and each new product may catch some newbies that are not familiar with history..., but the rock solid radio control system is so important part of our hobby, that loss of customer confidence may put them out of business - even if thay will sell 32ch transmitters for $250.

Well, for smaller planes the Flysky/Turnigy/Eurgle 9x, flashed with opensource ER9x firmware, a little modified hardware (which requires soldering skills but takes few minutes) to accept data from FrSky telemetry module or from Jeti Duplex telemetry(which allows 16ch already - I own this 9x+Jeti and had tested 16ch operation)..
- it is the cheapest system that has all points requested in the first post.
USB can be mounted inside, eePe is dedicated software... - but it needs some skills to get it together. Perhaps it can be done by someone else and then, user can use it without any proffesional tools or knowledge.
But it is not sold in this level of moddification.

Multiplex is my favorite brand (I own Royal EVO 9 for many years), suitable for any expensive planes where DIY work at 9x may be considered unadequate. Bright example of company which has happy customers with full confidence.
It is a shame on distributor, that U.S. customers can not buy it.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:11 PM
Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coro View Post
Well, for smaller planes the Flysky/Turnigy/Eurgle 9x, flashed with opensource ER9x firmware, a little modified hardware (which requires soldering skills but takes few minutes) to accept data from FrSky telemetry module or from Jeti Duplex telemetry(which allows 16ch already - I own this 9x+Jeti and had tested 16ch operation)..
- it is the cheapest system that has all points requested in the first post.
USB can be mounted inside, eePe is dedicated software... - but it needs some skills to get it together. Perhaps it can be done by someone else and then, user can use it without any proffesional tools or knowledge.
But it is not sold in this level of moddification.
Thanks for this very comprehensive reply. I have good soldering skills, and most guides available for the Turnigy 9x are very comprehensive.

My main problem with it comes from the very poor QC plus the usage of low quality switches. I'm pretty sure they could make exactly the same TX but with decent quality components and still sell it under $70 to make good profict.

On the other hand, it's obvious that the community created around such a cheap and versatile product will provide a kind of support oriented to the DIY guy that you cannot possibly hope to get from established companies.

I have to say that at this point I'm tempted to start tinkering on a 9x+ Frsky telemetry and see how it goes.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:47 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2 View Post
I wouldn't count on the XPS transmitter showing up anytime soon plus as it will be a first generation transmitter ever made by them you will end up being essentially a Beta tester.
We expect to ship in July... based on the same technology we have been selling for about 5 years. No beta testing required.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:49 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,043 Posts
How about the new JR Propo XG-8?

It's not the cheapest out there but you get JR quality.

Some pics:
http://www.arnaud-poyet.com/ap-conce...php?article=17
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:02 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
I think the XG8 only fails on #5 and you can be very sure that it passes #4 as there is no way they are going to let USA customers get sight of that radio
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Apr 22, 2011, 04:14 PM
Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
I think the XG8 only fails on #5
Yup, but that's important, I currently have 12 planes and helis plus another 10 in various stages of work. Don't exactly want to sink 2000$ in receivers which would probably be worth less then 300 in 2 years (judging how things evolve on the market).