HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2011, 09:09 AM
Joined Apr 2010
10 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy 9x V2 or Used DX6i

I am getting ready to purchase one of these two unless someone has a better option for under $125. I need help deciding. Should I get a used DX6i or a Turnigy 9x V2?

I am hesitant about the Turnigy because of the build quality and the lack of small / compact receivers. I like it because of the FHSS and custom options.

I like the DX6i because of the build quality and planned on using the $5 clone receivers or the orange box receivers.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Please help me decide.

-David
dhake is offline Find More Posts by dhake
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:39 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,215 Posts
Look beyond the TX and think about what you are going to be flying in the future. If the Bind & Fly stuff from Parkzone/Horizon is something that interests you then DX6i is a good choice.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:43 AM
Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Rheinland-Pfalz, Kaiserslautern
Joined Apr 2007
1,009 Posts
The 6ch receiver is not _that_ big...
daybyter is offline Find More Posts by daybyter
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:47 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Turnigy 9X has superior programing but quality control is varied. You can be stuck with a lemon. Forget about after service as shipping it to China cost as much as TX itself.
Price is so cheap. Only $53 for TX and RX set. Buy two as an extra back up.

You can use a small HobbyKing 6ch receiver compatible with Turnigy V1 or V2, costing about $8.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:51 AM
Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
Or you can always buy a Spektrum module for the 9x and gain access to the BNF stuff.
Gerula is offline Find More Posts by Gerula
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:50 PM
Joined Apr 2010
10 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess the biggest concern is the quality. I can get a used DX6i for $100 or spend $80 ($60 + 20 shipping) for a Turnigy. I fly mostly park flyers and can't see jumping into anything much larger anytime soon.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:21 PM
Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
Buy two Turnigy 9x (they're 53 each). You should be able to get a perfectly working one out of two units and have spares for amost everything in the radio .
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:24 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,215 Posts
That is some great advise, following the same line of advise I could say to you get 2 DX7 and you are bound to get one that wont have the backup error.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:25 PM
Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
That is some great advise, following the same line of advise I could say to you get 2 DX7 and you are bound to get one that wont have the backup error.
Well, I do have two Dx7's Problem is they costed me far more then 106$ both

Btw, no chance to even be helped by Horizon with a firmware that the customer can flash himself to get read of the erros that are Horizon's fault. Let alone getting telemetry on them and so on
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:03 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhake View Post
I am getting ready to purchase one of these two unless someone has a better option for under $125. I need help deciding. Should I get a used DX6i or a Turnigy 9x V2?

I am hesitant about the Turnigy because of the build quality and the lack of small / compact receivers. I like it because of the FHSS and custom options.

I like the DX6i because of the build quality and planned on using the $5 clone receivers or the orange box receivers.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Please help me decide.

-David
I agree with your thinking. It's hard to beat a good used DX6i with inexpensive Orange receivers from HK (beware of fakes selling on eBay). The DX6i programming is not perfect, but you are likely to have fewer problems than with the 9X. Also the DSM2 receivers are more suited to small models. Just be sure to allow time for them to become available and be shipped. Get extras.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:08 PM
Joined Apr 2010
10 Posts
The dx6i's aren't perfect either it seems. There are a couple threads on here talking about dx6i and dsm2 troubles. I am still on on the fence and appreciate all the feedback.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:40 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhake View Post
The dx6i's aren't perfect either it seems. There are a couple threads on here talking about dx6i and dsm2 troubles. I am still on on the fence and appreciate all the feedback.
Nothing's perfect but the DX6i is more of a known quantity. The software issues are well understood -- irritating but not a big deal for most situations. And DSM2 works very well indeed with a few exceptions (like flaky AR500s).

Note that I'm not knocking the 9X, which is remarkable value, just trying to put it in perspective.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:42 PM
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Jun 2010
220 Posts
I had the same dilema. I have a Flysky th9 that I accidentally broke. I needed to replace it. I had just bought an 8, a 6, and a 3 channel receivers and no transmitter. I can pick up a DX6I with a receiver for $120. Had to decide between another flysky(I like the black better than the turnigy) or the Spektrum. Except for a binding issue that got me digging too far into the radio and really breaking things, I liked the radio. Build quality is something. My charge plug needed to be soldered when it was brand new. I liked the programming of the ER9X firmware that I bought another Flysky. I saw a spektrum module here for $35. Almost bought it , but thought I'm really never going to do BNF, and if I did, I'd just put a 6channel receiver in it. (they are pretty small. Planeinsanerc.com has pictures of the 8 6 and 3 channel receivers together). Now for the funny part. I'm still waiting for my new radio to arrive, and got my old one working perfectly. I've since flown with it, and have no problems.

All this and I have no advice. $100 used, no warranty, or knowledge of what the radio has been through, like my radio now has jumper wires where there were once traces. Also the guy could be selling it because he had issues and the radio is undependable. But then again, a $60 tx from China offers you the same lack of warranty.
Kalikikopa is offline Find More Posts by Kalikikopa