Old May 02, 2011, 01:20 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer View Post
But I don't get my Plane until Friday!
I willing to wait to be honest i rather see one of your vids rather than some poor cell phone attempt on utube
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2011, 01:30 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,340 Posts
I will do a build video and then a flying video I hope Next weekend!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old May 02, 2011, 03:13 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
Damn, I was afraid of this, why don't these guys learn to not just put a big eniough motor, ESC and servos to BARELY get by.....I'm sure we all would happily pay a extra 50 bucks to get electronics that are a better match for the plane and would hold up and do what we expect them to do, I know I would.....It's just a waste to get a P-N-P plane if you end up replacing everything anyway, too bad they don't offer it without electronics.....I really like the plane itself, so now I have to order all new stuff if I decide to get it.....How does the ESC look, up to the task of a bigger motor or does it need to be replaced also?
The servos are not very good. They centre with a kind of delay....slow.
They will work, but this plane deserves better.

I hope the ESC does have a 3amp BEC. If that is the case, it should not cause any trouble. Motor... well we have to wait....
Magnets are not very strong.

Still I think it is a very good price. With shipping from German warehouse it did cost me Euro 89--

In compare... the SU-26m of Eflite did cost me Euro 135-- (empty)
If I purchase 4x Hitec HS-65b servos it cost me Euro 76--

The plane itself with Euro 89-- I do not see as a problem. An empty Funjet Ultra is the same in price.

I would be great if they had a body set only.
But as said...even with the current price, it is still very afforable IMO even if you replace the servos, ESC and motor.
TreeDiver is online now Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old May 02, 2011, 03:15 AM
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
Flew mine for the first time today. All stock with a 2200 mAh battery. Flew beautifully for about 5 minutes with a good mix of throttle speeds. Super stable with only minor trimming needed. Then the motor quit. Dead stick landing ok with only a minor bent gear. Motor was too hot to touch. Stock prop and spinner were loose and had rubbed up against the cowl which was also loose. Took it home and sure enough the motor is toast.

I've modified the cowl with some brackets that hold it in place nice and tight. Ordered a new motor (Super Tigre .10 which I've had good luck with). Aluminum gear is too soft and will probably get replaced soon. Stock spinner and prop combo are nearly impossible to tighten up enough to trust. Replaced the aileron push rods with threaded rods and mini clevises since one of the stock clevises cracked when I tried to tighten the set screw. Those things are junk. Will do the same with the elevator and rudder eventually.

For this price it seems they could have upgraded a few cheapo items and this bird would be stellar. The motor sounded like a Yugo stuck in first gear with no breaks and bombing down a street in San Francisco.
Nathing is offline Find More Posts by Nathing
Old May 02, 2011, 03:16 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathing View Post
The motor sounded like a Yugo stuck in first gear with no breaks and bombing down a street in San Francisco.
LoL
Old May 02, 2011, 04:43 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
i think i will order one of these next week. I have an art tech p51 on the way and this will be my first bigger plane. If the maiden goes well and im happy with it then i will press the button on one of these extras.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old May 02, 2011, 09:28 AM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDiver View Post
The servos are not very good. They centre with a kind of delay....slow.
They will work, but this plane deserves better.

I hope the ESC does have a 3amp BEC. If that is the case, it should not cause any trouble. Motor... well we have to wait....
Magnets are not very strong.

Still I think it is a very good price. With shipping from German warehouse it did cost me Euro 89--

In compare... the SU-26m of Eflite did cost me Euro 135-- (empty)
If I purchase 4x Hitec HS-65b servos it cost me Euro 76--

The plane itself with Euro 89-- I do not see as a problem. An empty Funjet Ultra is the same in price.

I would be great if they had a body set only.
But as said...even with the current price, it is still very afforable IMO even if you replace the servos, ESC and motor.
Oh, I'm not saying that it's not a good deal at that price, I'm just saying it would have been a good deal at 150.00 dollars (instead of approx 100.00) if it had came with quality motor, servos and a heavy duty ESC and was totally 3D capable right out of the box......A motor that only survives a few flights before dying is ridiculous, why bother, surely they must have tested this out during development.....They would have sold far more of these if it was totally set up right and needed nothing, problems just turn people off......It just amazes me they have not learned that by now.
Tatonka is online now Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old May 02, 2011, 09:51 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,036 Posts
@tatonka

sure, you are right
The quality of the EPO plane itself compared to the rest is way out of balance
Maybe they make more money this way???
Maybe they aim more on the more starting RC hobby flyers?

Anyhow, if they would release it also without ESC, motor and servos, for sure allot of users would purchase this plane.
I did not fly it yet, but the EPO quality is very good and first flying reports where very positive.
Old May 02, 2011, 10:41 PM
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
Video of the stock motor on a 1300 mAh(!) battery. This is after the first flight when it quit after 5 minutes.

extra260 motor (0 min 25 sec)
Nathing is offline Find More Posts by Nathing
Old May 02, 2011, 10:52 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,182 Posts
Wow, can't be too happy about that!

Looks like I'll be motor swapping before mine even hits the sky
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 03, 2011, 01:50 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,340 Posts
That blows!

WOW! That blows!

I would contact HK and show them the video!

I sent the video link to a friend at HK and told him to follow this Thread!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tallflyer; May 03, 2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old May 03, 2011, 01:55 AM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer View Post
WOW! That blows!

I would contact HK and show them the video!
+1

It is clearly a consistent problem as reported here and not just a once in a while defect. I am still intrigued by this plane just not the electronics. I will pass for now or until the problems are fixed.
AZAerobat is online now Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old May 03, 2011, 02:00 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Its such a shame why they dont but quality components in to start with is beyond me ! I know it would bump up the cost but it still would be cheaper than say a PZ Extra 300.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old May 03, 2011, 02:12 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathing View Post
Video of the stock motor on a 1300 mAh(!) battery. This is after the first flight when it quit after 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaOmcW1H_go
unwise to run it without prop (load)

but of course...it should not smoke anyhow
Old May 03, 2011, 02:13 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
What motor and servos are you going to replace with.

Wonder if hk will come with just the frame.
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer