HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Jul 2011
64 Posts
Stock motor only support 9 x 5.

To do vertical climb it's too low power. Get a turnigy 35-30 1100 kv and an APC 11x5.5 prop and your good to go

By the way this plane flyes great with half of the elevator removed. After trying to glue 4 times, I fly with only half of the elevator
EQ45 is online now Find More Posts by EQ45
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Hk extra 260

Just got one on june 20th 2012. Can anyone tell me the mods i need to do before i put it in the air for the first time. I already switched the 30a speed control for a 50a rctimer control. Need lots of advice because i really like the plane so far, and i dont wanna go away with bad feelings about it. Havent built it yet so all the help i can get would be greatly appriciated. And for the record, iv only been flying for about three months. Thanks alot guys.

P.s. Please dont say get another plane. Lolol
KIOFFRIDA is offline Find More Posts by KIOFFRIDA
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:37 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,216 Posts
break all foam hinges and replace with fiber hinges, elevator,rudder, and ailerons.
replace elevator and rudders linkages with plastic sleeve and carbon rod inside(move flexible and smoother) and replace horns on elevator and rudder.
my ailerons servos, linkage and horns are stock
change motor, mine swings a 12x6
use locktite for nuts and bolts in tail assembly
stock landing block will come out, I didnt modify, just glued it in with expoxy and re adjust LG after every landing,haha
fly the piss out of it, ,I do I glue and fly the piss outta it some, its a fun plane but not REALLY 3D
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:09 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
thank you sir. much appricated. :-)
KIOFFRIDA is offline Find More Posts by KIOFFRIDA
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:18 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
408 Posts
My buddy's maiden -

don't blink .......

Hobbyking Extra 260 3D EPO - Maiden & Crash (1 min 5 sec)
gatorlynch is online now Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,343 Posts
Reversed ailerons....
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:35 AM
WINDEPENDENT
Joined Dec 2007
3,216 Posts
was it reversed or UBER sensitive yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlynch View Post
My buddy's maiden -

don't blink .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgpkVc1O7E0
its fixable, I did a high speed pass full throttle and the ground effect air blew apart my stock foam elevator hinge and it took a digger snapping the fuse in 2 spot and the cowl in 3. All glued up with CA and flying just fine.
get her fixed for round 2....or, its only a billski for ALL replacement parts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Hi all,

Bought one of these a couple of months ago, finally got a chance to build it and it's now ready to maiden(hopefully this afternoon).

Done most of the mods suggested on this thread, new motor(Park480 from HobbyKing), New Speedy(Plush 40A), not lookin' to do 3D or anything just a sport flyer/acro. will fly with a 9x4.7 to start with, gives me about 260W at around 23ish Amps. Should be enough to get me off the ground.

Replaced all servos, the stocky's just looked a little cheap and nasty for my liking. New control rod setup, re-inforced hinges with a little tape, tightened and lock-tighted just about every nut I could find.

Still on stock landing gear, but will replace as soon as I get a chance to order/build new gear, there are some great ideas for this in this thread, so probably give one of these a go.

Thanks to everyone who posts here, It's been very helpful and has hopefully given me the best chance of having a successful maiden.

I shall report back with the good or bad news soon.

Cheers,

Matt.
noobRCdude is offline Find More Posts by noobRCdude
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
hello again,

forgot to post a question, C of G.....yep, that old chestnut

Intsructions say 75-80mm from leading edge, but I noticed alot of people here are flying at closer to 90mm....

I know that everything else that was stock on this plane was rubbish, so the instructions probably are too, so I'm inclined to put a little more faith in the real world experience of others(I guess I've just answered my own question there).

I've currently split the difference and got it at about 83mm for will will hopefully be a nice boring(uneventful) maiden? thanks to 45g of lead in the nose, but might go push it back a little, maybe 85-86....?

Thanks again,

Matt.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:28 AM
WINDEPENDENT
Joined Dec 2007
3,216 Posts
C g

Hey Matt,
Im running about 3 3/4 inches(95). I moved my 3s 2200 back about an inch, you may not need to with that 480 on there. Hope this helps have a great maiden today!
Dave
Last edited by slopepilot; Sep 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:25 AM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Thanks Dave,

Wow, 95mm, that's very very different to the book, with the exception of the airframe(minus the LG), did hobbyKing actually get anything right on this bird?

I've moved my CG to about 87mm, I think this should be nice and safe for my maiden and then I can tweak it as needed from there.

So yeah, didn't get to maiden yesterday. Typical, as soon as I was ready to get out there and get amongst it, the wind started blowing. I thought about flying it anyway, I'm really excited to see this thing in the air, but in the end common sense provailed. Oh well, maybe this weekend....?

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Matt.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
So, after a couple of weeks of terrible flying weather, I finally got to maiden my extra today....

Eased on the throttle, little bit of right rudder to keep it tracking straight, juiced her up, pulled back and we were away! a few clicks of up elevator, 1 click left aileron and she was flying straight an level hands free. Kept this flight pretty boring, a few rolls and loops, just wanted to get a bit of a feel for the plane, I also had the control ailerons dumbed down quite a bit.

Then it was time to attempt to land.......on grass........on stock landing gear......

back the throttle off a bit, took her out to the top of my approach, backed off the throttled some more and just flew her down to the ground. perfect landing, dead straight, rolled to a stop about 15 to 20 feet from where I touched down and best of all, the landing gear is still attached!

Second flight was a total disaster, as soon as I got off the ground(on nowhere near enough throttle!!!), she sort of flopped over to the right and returned(rather unceremoniously) to the ground. A couple of cart-wheels later......some minor damage to the left aileron and rudder and the ply motormount has just let go of the plane(seemed to only be held on by some sort of silcone type glue).

I certainly can't blame the plane for this outcome, it was just a total brain-fart on my part!!! The plane's already back together, just waiting on the epoxy to cure as I'm writing this.

Super happy with the plane! Can't wait to get it back in the air start trying some more adventurous manouvers....
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:38 PM
WINDEPENDENT
Joined Dec 2007
3,216 Posts
glad to hear it

good deal, my motor mount came off to, and fuse cracked in half, and front end busted up and glued all together its hardly noticeable and still burns up the sky
Happy flying!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Well, I flew the Extra again on the weekend and the inevitable has happened..... The landing gear failed and is no longer attached to the plane. It wasn't a perfect landing, but I wouldn't have said it was horrible either....

It was a nice clean break, the blind nuts just pulled out of the plywood mount. Only the gear is damaged which is fine, I had already picked out the new gear for this plane anyway. I probably won't get to order it for a couple of weeks but it's gonna be pretty sweet. I'm going with carbon fibre struts and some slightly larger diameter wheels and it will all be attached to the plane a whole lot better than the stock gear was!

So you can add my vote to the "The HK Extra 260 EPO's stock landing gear sucks!" column....... But at least it comes off clean without doing any damage to the rest of the plane.

Cheers,

Matt.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:04 AM
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIOFFRIDA View Post
Just got one on june 20th 2012. Can anyone tell me the mods i need to do before i put it in the air for the first time. I already switched the 30a speed control for a 50a rctimer control. Need lots of advice because i really like the plane so far, and i dont wanna go away with bad feelings about it. Havent built it yet so all the help i can get would be greatly appriciated. And for the record, iv only been flying for about three months. Thanks alot guys.

P.s. Please dont say get another plane. Lolol

The motor and esc are junk. Get a 50amp esc and this motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18227. Plenty of power with a 10x5 prop at 40amp draw. I'd say 5 mins flight time with this setup. Go with a tad smaller prop for longer flight times.

The landing gear is very flimsy so I suggest drilling a hole in the aluminum legs right above each of the wheels and run a strong piano wire through them. You secure the piano wires with a collar stopper. I'll put a video soon on a tutorial for this.

Put hinge tape on all ailerons, elevators and rudder. Secure the 'U' shaped metal under the elevator with epoxy. Mine got loose and tore in half mid flight. HobbyKing has no replacement parts for this plane so I made it with balsa.

Depending on your skill level, set lots of expo. I've seen too many people destroy this fine plane due to high roll rates. Trust me this baby can roll!

That's pretty much all I can think of with the experience I've been through with this plane.
oprogfrogo is offline Find More Posts by oprogfrogo