SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:49 AM
Joined Jul 2011
71 Posts
Did my first flight yesterday.

As I spreaded the landing gear so that the wheel are further away from each others, I was able to take off and land on the grass of the club. The elevator must be hold for take off position so that the nose do not touch the grass. This is not doable when landing, but as I cut the motor before touch down, there is no damages.

The flight itself was not has easy that with my stock skyfun (which was my only plane up to know) I spend serveral minutes trimming the plane and then make to circle trying to see how the landing should be done.

I have found the plane quite touchy. I was using full throw and 50% expo... SO I will keep the expo and use DR to make it less sensitive.

Finally, I just have to repair the door of the closing the battery hatch on which one of the 2 hook is bended.
EQ45 is online now Find More Posts by EQ45
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:00 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EQ45 View Post
@ Stalyoni

I'm sorry for you man but hoppefully you took the right decision to sacrify the plane for the safety of others

I was usually flying trex 450 on football field in Belgium but since I bought my skyfun (which is my first plane), I realised that a dedicated field was needed. So after 2 flights over the country side (serveral kilometers far from "main roads"), I joined a dedicated club to fly my plane and my 450.

I would recomend you to look after a better place to fly....

Concerning the repair, I have always heard that good epoxy was making is srtonger on that king of epo. Looks like what you did is one of the best repair that can be done
Hi Stalyoni, I've hit LVC a couple of times, maybe your ESC isn't set up properly, you should have it set to reduce throttle, not cut off. I notice that with mine it starts to get sluggish so I bring her in, usually the prop is just turning over but I've still got enough control to flare for landing (sort of) it still lands harder than normal but I belly land so no probs there. As far as repairs are concerned I've had good success with double ended tooth picks (not the thin ones) and hot glue, that was on a less dense foam though, maybe you should read back in the thread, I know there's a post about repairing the weak point behind the firewall. - Regards Darryl.
Rostermonkey is offline Find More Posts by Rostermonkey
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:37 AM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
After getting bored waiting for my Stinger 64 EDF jet to ship I cancelled the order and picked up a Red one fo these Babies from the AUS Warehouse.

Now what are the mandatory mods that are required. I plan to run it on the 3S Turnigy's and am aware the stock motor will burn out with the stock prop. I have the HK Donkey 1100kv and a Mystery 40amp ESC which I will be installing and followed by HXT900's.

Thinking I might turn it into a RedBull Racer with some Dark Blues and Yellows and some Red Bull stickers.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Jul 22, 2011, 02:14 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,187 Posts
hey cloaked. First thing you do is put a carbon spa through the wing. Forget trying to use the stock motor and ESC.

I have used a turnigy 35-30 1100kv and a turnigy 35-30 1700kv (currently installed) and recommend and turnigy 35-30 1400kv motor. I think this would be perfect for this plane. I have tried many props on it as well. ATM im using an 8x4 APC prop on the 1700kv motor. It has balls out speed.

Swapping out the servos for the HXT900's would be a good idea. When you change out the elevator and rudder servos then move them right into the center.

I would add extra tape to the control surfaces just to be on the safe side. Also tape the top magnetic canopy.

If you use the hobbyking spektrum RX it is possible to set up flaps on this plane as i have done it. You need a dx6i to do this though.

I run 1600mah 3s lipos in it and i find this is the perfect lipo for this plane.

It will be a great sport flyer but wont do much 3d as the rudder on it is crap.

Hope this all helps mate.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:34 AM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
if anyone is interested, i installed a new motor,Aeolian 3530 1100kv(very cheap too- $9.80 US!) , same as slope pilot, and flew it for the first time today. A bit more nose up trim needed with the heavier motor up front but thats about it. it also pulls a lot harder to the left because of the extra power being generated. i can now go vertical after take off and keep going forever if i wanted to(and my plane is quite heavy with much thicker aluminium landing gear than stock, and i'm also running a 9x6 prop which isn't made for climbing) all in all, its faster, got far better climb and hopefully more reliable. i'm still using the stock esc, it gets warm but not hot, so i'll just have to keep an eye on it when the weather warms up
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:01 AM
Joined Jul 2011
71 Posts
Flew mine again yesterday. Lost one wheel while trying to take off. Due to that, after repair, I took off without the white cone in front of the propeller. The CG was too much backward and the plane flying like a sawtooth.

So for the second flight I added some weight in the battery hatch and it was much better. I plan to use the cone and weight in the hatch to bring the CG foward a bit.

The second landing was very bad, and the landing gear was completly bended but the rest of the plane did not have any damage. I always try to land dead stick but in fact I came without enough speed and the plane drop on the ground.
EQ45 is online now Find More Posts by EQ45
Old Jul 27, 2011, 02:01 AM
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
this one goes out to probably everyone and has been mentinoned before by someone else, i thought it was maybe just a one off event... whilst belting around with my new motor this afternoon i had one of the elevators seperate at the hinge, the only thing holding it on was the piece of wire that joins the two elevators. i was very lucky that i was not in a vertical dive at full power as i had been moments earlier, and managed to land the plane without further incident. hinge tape those suckers...
Old Jul 27, 2011, 05:29 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,482 Posts
hey guys... JUst FYI My new video of the HK MX2

Hobby King MX2 EPO (3 min 34 sec)
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Old Jul 27, 2011, 07:19 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,362 Posts
Great Video! I wish I had a place to fly like that
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:13 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0005 View Post
this one goes out to probably everyone and has been mentinoned before by someone else, i thought it was maybe just a one off event... whilst belting around with my new motor this afternoon i had one of the elevators seperate at the hinge, the only thing holding it on was the piece of wire that joins the two elevators. i was very lucky that i was not in a vertical dive at full power as i had been moments earlier, and managed to land the plane without further incident. hinge tape those suckers...
I cut all tailfeather hinges and used the fiber hinges, I have a whole sheet so I made a single fiber hinge the entire lenght if the hinges, I lost the servo horns and have nothing that fits so now I gotta get some HS 55's for the tail feathers then maiden finally and there will be video
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Jul 30, 2011, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
can you post some pics of your fibre hinges? i've never used them before, or hinge tape for that matter,and would like to weigh up the best way of doing it. i have alrady glued my elevator back in place with epoxy(very small amount so as to retain original movement) and was planning on using hinge tape to reinforce all 3 tail feathers
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:27 AM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,245 Posts
Hinge tape is for profile foamies or light electrics, it sucks IMOP for anything but profile foamies
its easy to slot the parts and insert the fiber hinges
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Last edited by slopepilot; Nov 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:11 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo View Post
hey guys... JUst FYI My new video of the HK MX2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AR784w8sI4
thanks so much for a great video. Shows just what this big bird is capable of in the right hands. I just wish they would stock them in the NSW wharehouse, i would order one in a hearbeat then.

Still havent repaired the tail on my extra 260 yet. I have some 2200mah 3s lipos on there way. I want to see if the extra capicity and added weight makes this plane alot better to fly.

We shall have to weight and see?

Should i be mounting the 2200mah towards the front or the back of the battery bay for the right CG?
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:52 AM
United States, TX, Canyon
Joined Jan 2011
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopepilot View Post
Hinge tape is for profile foamies or light electrics, it sucks IMOP
its easy to slot the parts and insert the fiber hinges
Haven't heard IMOP, what does that mean?
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Old Aug 06, 2011, 05:37 PM
Antwerp, Belgium
Joined Jun 2007
18 Posts
after reading the thread I just ordered one in Germany.
Hope to have good weather next weekend and fly it

Will keep you guys informed ...
Sorcerer is offline Find More Posts by Sorcerer