HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2011, 06:12 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostermonkey View Post
I wanted to use my 35A ESC elsewhere, so I've installed my 70A with the Turnigy L3015A motor and a 11x7 Slofly prop. Reads 42A and about 480 watts. Tried a 12x6first but it pulled 48 Amp and the motor got hot as it's only rated to 52A. No flight report yet but testing the thrust just about pulled it out of my hand, no idea how to measure the thrust. Motor was warm and the ESC was still cool after 2-3 minutes full throttle. CG has only moved forward 6mm. The plane was doing a bit of tail dragging, maybe this'll balance her up. PS I'm still belly landing with no gear. Did a belly flop yesterday that was so hard it pulled the battery from the velcro and the cockpit popped up. The Packaging tape on each side of the weak point held but I'm seriously thinking about structural reinforcing.

Any suggestions on reinforcing an unbroken but cracked frame would be welcome.

-Darryl
mate all i can say is get a APC 10x7 prop. Gives alot more performance. Ive been belly lading mine fine right from the start since the failed maiden when the stock motor burnt up.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:15 AM
XavierM
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
Mine has more than 10 flights now, no problem. I confirm the data given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathing View Post
If you can safely get > 400 watts through that motor please let us know. At that weight this thing would be a beast! My hunch is it's more like a 250 - 300 watt motor.
XavierM is offline Find More Posts by XavierM
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:45 PM
Cookie Monster
Australia, QLD, Diddillibah
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Ok so I scored one of these from the Au warehouse,now a couple of ideas I am thinking of doing and would appreciate some feedback.

First of all the foam moulding is very good and everything seems to fit well,the blue looks much better in the flesh.
Now I like my planes to be light and 3D...this one is not ever going to be light due to the heavy dense foam,so I will try to give her a higher power setup within reason so I can 3D her.
My main ideas after looking at the plane and reading the thread are as follows:
I don't think it has enough throw on all surfaces and the hinges are stiff,so I am considering cutting all the control surfaces free and hinging them with small pin hinges.
The control rods will be replaced,zero slop is my goal.
I haven't checked the servo operation yet but will probably replace the tail servos with a couple of spare HS65's I have.
The main gear is rubbish and heavy,I may replace it with lighter/stronger gear down the track depending on CG,but probably for now just brace it with braid fishing line to stop it bending.
I will replace the stock ESC with a 40 amp Mystery I have spare (SBEC) and obviously replace the motor.
Now my two spare motors I have available are an EFlight Park 480 910kv http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1500
Or a heaviear HK motorhttp://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14733
Now I am going to have to modify the mount anyway by cutting a slice of foam from the mount area and putting in another ply mount large enough for the bigger motors,but the HK motor is longer and heavier and will require more to be cut off.I would like to try and keep the cowl reasonably unmolested if possible,but not sure which motor...I am wondering if the 480 will be enough...(I am thinking 12x6 props)
Anyone got any thoughs before I start to butcher?
Cheers,
Bleary.
bleary is offline Find More Posts by bleary
Last edited by bleary; Jun 20, 2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Stuffed up links sorry
Old Jun 20, 2011, 08:10 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleary View Post
Ok so I scored one of these from the Au warehouse,now a couple of ideas I am thinking of doing and would appreciate some feedback.

First of all the foam moulding is very good and everything seems to fit well,the blue looks much better in the flesh.
Now I like my planes to be light and 3D...this one is not ever going to be light due to the heavy dense foam,so I will try to give her a higher power setup within reason so I can 3D her.
My main ideas after looking at the plane and reading the thread are as follows:
I don't think it has enough throw on all surfaces and the hinges are stiff,so I am considering cutting all the control surfaces free and hinging them with small pin hinges.
The control rods will be replaced,zero slop is my goal.
I haven't checked the servo operation yet but will probably replace the tail servos with a couple of spare HS65's I have.
The main gear is rubbish and heavy,I may replace it with lighter/stronger gear down the track depending on CG,but probably for now just brace it with braid fishing line to stop it bending.
I will replace the stock ESC with a 40 amp Mystery I have spare (SBEC) and obviously replace the motor.
Now my two spare motors I have available are an EFlight Park 480 910kv http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1500
Or a heaviear HK motorhttp://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14733
Now I am going to have to modify the mount anyway by cutting a slice of foam from the mount area and putting in another ply mount large enough for the bigger motors,but the HK motor is longer and heavier and will require more to be cut off.I would like to try and keep the cowl reasonably unmolested if possible,but not sure which motor...I am wondering if the 480 will be enough...(I am thinking 12x6 props)
Anyone got any thoughs before I start to butcher?
Cheers,
Bleary.
I'm running the Turnigy L3015A, All I had to do to mount it was add a peice of 3 ply behind the firewall with epoxy glue (araldite), I then used the motor mount to position the holes for the motor body and used 3mm x 35mm screws with small washers, screw them in from the wing mount area. Fit perfectly, only thing left was to open up the cowl a bit to fit the motor. You might over prop your ESC if you're going for a 12x6, I tried a 12x6 slofly prop and pulled in the vacinity of 48 Amps, the motor is only rated to 52 Amp and it'll blow your ESC. As for the rudder and elevator servo's, move them into the centre and put extended arms on them to increase throw. I also had to cut a little into the foam around the arms so they could travel easily. Hope this helps - Darryl
Rostermonkey is offline Find More Posts by Rostermonkey
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:55 AM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Thanks Darryl,that is lateral thinking on the mount,I like the idea and may steal it from you,thanks.
I will check amps with my meter of course but I think my motor may have a slighly lower kv as my amps were not that high last time I tested it (not unusual for a bit of variation in HK motors....)
I dont like to use slowfly props over around 300 watts anyway,so would use an APC electric or a wood prop anyway.
Ta for your help mate.
Bleary.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:30 PM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
@ bleary : For your HK motor...
Spouny is offline Find More Posts by Spouny
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:27 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Thanks Spouny,nice little square of Carbon as a backplate,looks bling!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:52 PM
Cookie Monster
Joined Aug 2005
1,357 Posts
Also mate,how long were the 3mm bolts you used?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 07:39 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
Just had another 2 flights with my extra 260. This was with the 10x7 and it seems to have alot more power but i still want more. I think the 35-50 1700kv motor with a APC 8x4 prop should do the job nicely.

I stopped into the local shop on the way home. I pretended to post my plane. I chucked it on the scales and with a turnigy 1600mah 3s the total weight was 871g. The lipo itself was about 137g (discharged). So the plane itself weighs about 734g. This is without the stupid landing gear and some paint on the plane.

I think once i goto the new 35-30 1700 kv motor i will shed even a little more weight.

My plane seems to be flying with its tail drooping a little. Whats going on here?

After i hotglued the elvator stab on tight it has stopped bobbing a little. Still jutters around a bit in the air. Could this be the servo wires on the ailerons causing a little drag?

Anyways i love this plane and hope to get more power out of it soon. I will have the yak 54 for more true 3d and the extra 260 will be a rocket acro bird.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
Last modification on my Extra 260 :

HK Carbone Landing Gear and HK LG wheels

HK alloy Spinner

Spouny is offline Find More Posts by Spouny
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:05 AM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,208 Posts
^^ nice spinner
well I didnt finish the build but I tore out the elevator and rudder linkage sleeves and replaced them, they were curved to much and the movement was not smooth, used carbon fiber in new sleeves. Last night I fired up the motor, the Aeolian 3530 1100kv with its 40ampesc by Aeolian, ran 1/2 throttle for 2 minutes then up and down another minute while using a 10 x 4.7 SF and the ecs was cool and the motor was warm. Wish I had a meter(anybody got a link on a meter?)
After work Ill set up the aileron linkage, mount the battery and esc and I shall be flying if the wind permits,actually it was calm yesterday but it was 95 degrees and today is gonna be hotter.
Video report coming soon
slopepilot is online now Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:13 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopepilot View Post
Wish I had a meter(anybody got a link on a meter?)
Here's one at Value Hobby (great place to order from, btw):
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...34&item_id=210

I've had one of these for over ten years:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/astroflig...r_179_prd1.htm

HobbyKing has a Turnigy meter, but not in the USA warehouse:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10080

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:48 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post

HobbyKing has a Turnigy meter, but not in the USA warehouse:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10080

-Chris
I just ordered one of these a few days ago. Should get the job done.

Im hoping my 35-30 1700kv motor comes in today or tommorow and I will mount it and maiden it on the weekend. I will be using a APC 8x4 prop on it. I hope its enough to keep this bird in the air. I used a 1600kv motor with a APC 8x6 prop on my p51 and it was extremely fast so it should work fine.

No 3d with this plane just fast sport acro flying for me.

Looks like im getting a second hand hyperion sniper X II for $30 as well. Im going to put my 35-30 1100kv motor into it. Should go nicely.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:51 AM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,208 Posts
CHRIS,
Thank you
slopepilot is online now Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Jun 24, 2011, 04:32 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Flight report

Motor: Turnigy L3015A http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14733
ESC: Turnigy TRUST 70A SBEC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12189
Prop: 11x7 Slofly
Battery: Turnigy 2200mAH http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15311

Definate improvement over 10x4.7 prop and 35A ESC, will pull verticle from harrier, slight torque roll. PLENTY of power!!!!!!!! She'll keep going verticle until out of sight. Motor and ESC weren't even warm after 10 min flight. Only thing at full power and speed she popped out the battery hatch under the cowl seemed to have better balance than pervious config, less tail heavy NOTE: not running any LG.. Flies nice and even. Only thing I've noticed is she's unstable at high alpha, tend to get the wing wobbles, had the same prob previously. Any advice to correct this would be appreciated.

I've got one of Spouneys silver spinners, I could install for looks but I don't really want to alter the CG. Sorry for no video, don't own a camera and the phone is a bit pathetic.

Have a nice weekend
-Darryl.
Rostermonkey is offline Find More Posts by Rostermonkey