HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2011, 03:07 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
according to Chris' math.

I would currently be doing about 68 mhp or 111 kph with the 11x5.5 prop.

With a apc 10x7 prop it would be doing about 77 mhp or 126 kph.

Theres no way its doing 111 kph atm? Watch the videos and you tell me. I think it would be doing about 70 kph at best.

Anyways thanks so much for your suggestions. I think i will put an APC 10x7 prop on it and see how it goes then.

I do like the look of the 35-36 1400kv motor but it would be to heavy at 115g or so.

There is a 35-30 1400kv motor as well and they say to put a 10x5 prop on it not sure if this would be any better?

So confusing. I think ill just change out my prop for now and see how she goes.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:29 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopepilot View Post
^^^
so thats the fastest, I want low and slow for this 1.75lb plane
Do you have an esc,motor prop combo reccomendation for me?
Much appreciated, Dave
I'd keep it light and stout. Lots of 3DHS 41" Edge owners swear by this motor. That plane weighs around 30 ozs. and has plenty of burst power. http://adchobbystore.com/omega-om-72g1100.htm

Here's another less expensive choice from a reputable guy stateside. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail
Roughly the same motor but might not take the same abuse as the one above. Would probably be okay with a 11x5.5 APC for burst use. If you like having lots of umph, go up one motor size.

I've had good luck with one of these ESC's. Switching type so it'll power plenty of servos without worry of overloading the bec. I've used plenty of cheapy 40 ampers in the past with good luck also but this is the cats meow, IMO. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Amp-ESC/Detail

I've used a Turnigy 3530/1100kv motor for 3d abuse in a 25oz. plane and it was okay powerwise. Not exactly plenty of pull out of hover but adequate. The Park 480 1020kv is likely a great choice also. Probably on par with the Omega or perhaps a bit better.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Last edited by krexken; Jun 05, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 11:36 PM
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
Static thrust measurements are not something I ever mess with because they are basically meaningless. After all, our models move... so thrust produced while tied down is only relevant until it starts moving down the runway then it means nothing.
-Chris
Static thrust may not mean much for normal, everyday flying or even sport flying, but this is a 3D plane and if you want to fly 3D you must have good static or good near static thrust. The plane ain't moving forward when it's hovering - that is if you're doing it right I have a digital fish scale which I hook to the tail to get static thrust values. Works great (for like $10) when you also have a watt meter and tach. This setup gives you the full story and is more useful than rules of thumb like watts/pound.
Nathing is offline Find More Posts by Nathing
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:11 AM
The balance is the answer
Walnut Creek CA
Joined Oct 2009
42 Posts
Hello slopepilot

For a light set up I have this motor.https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001220782 the real weight is 72 g the motor only. With 3s LIpo 25c 2200 an 12/6 APC it give 270w and 26 Amp. I tried the prop 13/4 and it give almost the same data. I guess less rev and more thrust. I mesured the temp of the motor after 15 second full throttle and it was 65.0 Celsius. A bit hot to my taste. I can't mesure the static thrust but I can hover it at 65%-70% of throttle. I have also this ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9482 it just 30g and works great. I'm using this CF LG http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5103
Lipo 1300 and 1600 25C and I remouved the screws and plastics parts from the tail to move the CG a little froward (9g) If you go a little backwards in this thread You 'll find my pics with the mods.

Cheers
Estoner is offline Find More Posts by Estoner
Old Jun 06, 2011, 04:13 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
according to Chris' math.

I would currently be doing about 68 mhp or 111 kph with the 11x5.5 prop.

With a apc 10x7 prop it would be doing about 77 mhp or 126 kph.

Theres no way its doing 111 kph atm? Watch the videos and you tell me. I think it would be doing about 70 kph at best.

Anyways thanks so much for your suggestions. I think i will put an APC 10x7 prop on it and see how it goes then.

I do like the look of the 35-36 1400kv motor but it would be to heavy at 115g or so.

There is a 35-30 1400kv motor as well and they say to put a 10x5 prop on it not sure if this would be any better?

So confusing. I think ill just change out my prop for now and see how she goes.

Hey Spouny and I are running a heavy motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14733 and I'm doing some fairly low speed stuff, not running any LG though. I have a 10 x 4.7 prop pulling around 28 Amps. It really moves too if I want it too but I'm not into speed that much, too small a space with houses nearby. I just use the power to move the plane in the direction I want no matter what the attitude. Mind you I keep her 2 mistakes high
Rostermonkey is offline Find More Posts by Rostermonkey
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:01 AM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
g'day Stalyoni, if your not into 3d, but just want some more speed for some neat aerobatics, i'm running a 9x6e prop with the stock motor and i get plenty of vertical(but not unlimited) and plenty of speed. if speed is your thing then i'd definately try a smaller prop with higher pitch. it's a cheap experiment
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:18 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
Yeah im going to try and 10x7 and i might see what other prop they have there in the morning.

I have decided i CBF swapping out the motor anymore. Ill just muck around with some props. I need to get those hinges and longer servos arms as well so if the LHS doesnt have them then she might be down for a week or so till i can order them in.

Not fussed as im about to super power my art tech p51. Should go as good or if not better then this one in the video. So if i cant get my extra to go a bit quicker at least i will have this p51 rocket bird.

Hobbyking (Art Tech) P51 Mustang SUPER FAST! (3 min 11 sec)
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:42 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathing View Post
Static thrust may not mean much for normal, everyday flying or even sport flying, but this is a 3D plane and if you want to fly 3D you must have good static or good near static thrust.
Good point, I guess I should have clarified that it's not useful for ME, since I have no interest in 3D flying.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:49 PM
Joined Jun 2007
12 Posts
3535-910kv?

All,

Would a 35/30 - 910 KV with a bigger prop, say 12" or 13" (of the appropriate pitch to keep the amps under control) work for slow 3d type flying? or will the long prop/slower RPM cause too much torque?
I have only flown lightweight flat profile 3D planes and need some advice on this larger/heavier full airfoil plane.

I have the mentioned motor and am tempted to try it, but thought I would ask if anyone has experience in this area first.
CoyoteLes is offline Find More Posts by CoyoteLes
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:31 AM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,208 Posts
thank you krexken and estoner
my deal is pretty much like the previous post
was wondering if a park 450 or 480 with 900-1000kv for low and slow
Dave
profile flatty burn half a battery hovering in the trees
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Jun 07, 2011, 04:29 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteLes View Post
All,

Would a 35/30 - 910 KV with a bigger prop, say 12" or 13" (of the appropriate pitch to keep the amps under control) work for slow 3d type flying? or will the long prop/slower RPM cause too much torque?
I have only flown lightweight flat profile 3D planes and need some advice on this larger/heavier full airfoil plane.

I have the mentioned motor and am tempted to try it, but thought I would ask if anyone has experience in this area first.
Although I don't own this plane, that should work. A larger diameter prop will definitely want to make the plane spin or torque roll a lot more during a hover but it's not a big deal, just different perhaps. I like slo fly props since I can get more prop ground clearance by running a smaller diameter prop. Slo flys suck much more amps than a similar sized E props. They don't go fast well at all but that's fine for me. The seem to rotate the plane more than E props though. The main thing that's different to me is recovering from a hover or some other stall speed maneuver. The higher wing loading of this plane will make it feel much differently and things happen quicker. You'll notice that really floaty feeling of a flatty is probably gone.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:11 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,208 Posts
followed advice

thanks estoner..
i got this
https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001220782
and this esc from same company..saved 10 bucks due to sale items..shipping was 12.88
https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001220248
waiting................cmon mail
heres how me and the neighbor do it
Charger Fusion 3D (1 min 0 sec)
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:39 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
what do you guys think of the new mx2 from hobbyking?

Hobby King MX2 triming flights (2 min 4 sec)

i plan to get one once they come into stock in the aussie wharehouse.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:10 PM
Joined Jun 2007
12 Posts
Updates

Re-hinged the rudder with pined point type hinges and CA glue.
Replaced the pushrod tubes with aluminum tubes, and made them a bit longer, moved the servos closer to each other and the control response is a LOT better.

Need to hinge the elevator now as it started tearing loose on one of my belly flop landings.

Still using stock motor/ESC with GWS 9x5HD 3s1p 2200mah 30C, the motor and ESC come down very warm after 6.5 min of mixed flying. (I measured 30a static with a fresh charged battery) I think it needs more thrust as it can barely hover as is and harrier pull outs are weak.

I am going to try the 35-30 910kv motor, but am considering using a 4s1p 2200mah 30c. The plane is still a bit tail heavy, and the 4 cell will give the low kv motor more rpm. Will have to test some props on this combo to see which will keep the amps low.

Les
CoyoteLes is offline Find More Posts by CoyoteLes
Old Jun 13, 2011, 03:56 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
so would a 35-30 1700kv motor with a 8x4 or 8x6 prop provide enough thrust to keep the extra 260 in the air. I want to make it a very fast acrobatic plane. I dont really care to hover it.

I have the 35-30 1100kv motor atm and i was going to try and 10x7 prop but i dont think that will be quick enough?

What do you think?