Joined May 2008
3,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup! View Post
"Pull up whats the dubro rudder fix you speak of mate?"

Dubro hinges. Work great!

Already hinged the ailerons.

Spent the morning knife edging the Extra down the runway
so you actually push them into the foam on ether side do you? Do you CA them in or hot glue them in?

thanks so much for the pics, i was thinking you mount them from the side but this makes much more sense now.

thanks.

Ill upload my vids now im sure you will be impressed. Had a perfect belly landing the first time but then second time i pushed the plane really hard and had no juice left and boofed the landing a bit.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2011, 04:13 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,386 Posts
Pre-cut a slit in each surface for the hinges, then test fit. I use 5min epoxy and poke it into the slits with a toothpick. Do one side at a time. Also fold the hinge in half and dip the hinge in lithium grease of cooking lard, keeps the epoxy from gluing you hinge all up.
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:13 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,133 Posts
thanks so much pullup ill see if i can get some from my local hobby shop mate and do the fix during the week.

What longer servo arms will fit the HXT900's? I have a decent amount of throw but a little more wont hurt.

First video is almost finished uploading.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 07:07 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,133 Posts
ok so heres the first of the two videos i took yesterday. Flies so nice but i need more gunt.

Im running a 11x5.5 APC prop, can i go bigger again to get more grunt? I have a 40a esc so i dont think ill burn it out.

Hobbyking Extra 260 EPO Stunts & Tricks (6 min 58 sec)
Old Jun 04, 2011, 11:17 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,133 Posts
ok guys, not sure if you have been watching my videos or not but im looking for a little more speed. Maybe you can watch my videos and see what i can do to speed it up.

Im currently running a turnigy 35-30 1100kv motor. This is fitted with a APC
11x5.5 prop.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7075

I was just looking on ebay and i found a local supplier with a turnigy 35-30 1700kv motor.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3885

Its also a little lighter, 14g lighter to be exact. So my question is would this be a better motor to give me a little more speed. Also given its a little lighter.

Would there be much difference between 1100kv and 1700kv?

Also the the 1700kv motor reads 340w and the 1100kv motor reads 345w so whats the difference there?

I will be using a 40a turnigy plush ESC with this setup. So if i do get the new 1700kv motor should i use the APC 10x5 prop or APC 11x5.5 prop? Would the APC 11x5.5 prop be to much for the 40a ESC or the motor?

Maybe someone can compare these two motors and tell me what they think. Would it be worth swapping out the motors or am i waisting my time.

Sorry for all the noob questions but im still learning about all this.

Looking forward to your responses

thanks
Old Jun 04, 2011, 11:32 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,133 Posts
heres the other video i took yesterday morning. I just need more speed guys. PLEASE HELP ME (have a look at my post above)

Hobbyking extra 260 EPO with new paint (7 min 52 sec)
Old Jun 05, 2011, 02:45 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,100 Posts
more speed you get with higher pitch as well

instead of the 11x5.5 you could try the 10x7
Less thrust, but more speed

keep in mind that you also need thrust to maintain the speed.
the other motor is more for 8x6 prop (1700 rpm/volt)
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Jun 05, 2011, 03:01 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,133 Posts
so would the 1700kv with a 8x6 prop be faster then then 1100kv with a 10x7 prop?

I have an elifte 10x8 prop here do you think that would be to much pitch for it or should i wait and get a apc 10x7 prop?
Last edited by stalyoni; Jun 05, 2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 03:51 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup! View Post
Pre-cut a slit in each surface for the hinges, then test fit. I use 5min epoxy and poke it into the slits with a toothpick. Do one side at a time. Also fold the hinge in half and dip the hinge in lithium grease of cooking lard, keeps the epoxy from gluing you hinge all up.
I found the best way is with a small peice of thin plastic from say a servo box shaped in a wedge with a small hole drilled in the middle of the head, that way you don't widen the hole and you carry more glue into the slit.
Rostermonkey is offline Find More Posts by Rostermonkey
Old Jun 05, 2011, 03:54 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
ok guys, not sure if you have been watching my videos or not but im looking for a little more speed. Maybe you can watch my videos and see what i can do to speed it up.

Im currently running a turnigy 35-30 1100kv motor. This is fitted with a APC
11x5.5 prop.

I was just looking on ebay and i found a local supplier with a turnigy 35-30 1700kv motor.

Its also a little lighter, 14g lighter to be exact. So my question is would this be a better motor to give me a little more speed. Also given its a little lighter.

Would there be much difference between 1100kv and 1700kv?

Also the the 1700kv motor reads 340w and the 1100kv motor reads 345w so whats the difference there?

I will be using a 40a turnigy plush ESC with this setup. So if i do get the new 1700kv motor should i use the APC 10x5 prop or APC 11x5.5 prop? Would the APC 11x5.5 prop be to much for the 40a ESC or the motor?

Maybe someone can compare these two motors and tell me what they think. Would it be worth swapping out the motors or am i waisting my time.

Sorry for all the noob questions but im still learning about all this.

Looking forward to your responses

thanks
I'd really get a power meter to check the Amps, you don't want to over prop the motor and ESC. Chris has given plenty of good advice on this subject, check it out.
Rostermonkey is offline Find More Posts by Rostermonkey
Old Jun 05, 2011, 05:04 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
so you actually push them into the foam on ether side do you? Do you CA them in or hot glue them in?

thanks so much for the pics, i was thinking you mount them from the side but this makes much more sense now.

thanks.

Ill upload my vids now im sure you will be impressed. Had a perfect belly landing the first time but then second time i pushed the plane really hard and had no juice left and boofed the landing a bit.
i find these do the trick nicely.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8435
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Jun 05, 2011, 06:10 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,133 Posts
Quote:
What longer servo arms will fit the HXT900's? I have a decent amount of throw but a little more wont hurt.
answered my own question guys

found the answer here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652775

"it turns out that the Dubro long servo arms for the GWS Naro (they say for GWS Narrow/Standard, MPI MX-50 servos on the package) are an exact fit."
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:00 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostermonkey View Post
I'd really get a power meter to check the Amps, you don't want to over prop the motor and ESC. Chris has given plenty of good advice on this subject, check it out.
Agreed, if you want to experiment with power systems you must spend a bit of money and get a watt meter and tachometer. Without those two pieces of equipment, you're just guessing (and often burning things up).

There is a formula you can use to estimate speed:

Pitch Speed in MPH is .000947 times the prop pitch in inches times the RPM

For example, if you are turning a 9x4 (4" pitch) at 10,000 rpm it would be:
4 x 10,000 x .000947 = 37.88 mph. It's not exact, but based on my experience it is pretty close and gives you good comparison data.

Static thrust measurements are not something I ever mess with because they are basically meaningless. After all, our models move... so thrust produced while tied down is only relevant until it starts moving down the runway then it means nothing.

On another note, add me to the "motor burned out and fuselage broke" club. My friend Bobby was flying it yesterday when the motor made a "Bad Sound" and stopped making power. Unfortunately, he was flying low and slow at the time so he had to land downwind in tall grass. Yep, fuselage snapped clean right at the front of the wing cutout. No big deal to fix, but of course now I need another motor. I may not keep it, the way it flies just isn't much fun to me. I much prefer the speed and smooth response of my Habu EDF or my F5B hotliner glider.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jun 05, 2011, 11:12 AM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
If you want more power and speed, you'll need a larger motor like a 3536 or maybe even a 3542. Simply changing the kv of your motor will mean that you'll need a smaller prop which will turn faster but make less thrust. You need thrust and rpm to go fast especially with a largish, draggy airframe. A 1700kv motor will need about an 8" prop, maybe even a 7", that will theoretically make your plane faster if it wasn't for the drag. A small prop has a hard time pulling big planes efficiently unless your in a dive. A larger prop will likely over amp it and burn it up. I use a 3542 1450kv motor on my Parkzone P-51 with a 9x9 or 10x7 prop and it's pretty quick but it's also a good battery heater meaning it draws around 500 watts so I keep the wide open throttle stuff limited to burst only. My props are big enough to burn the motor up if staying at WOT too long. The downside of a larger motor is weight but if you're not into low and slow 3d type flying, it's not a huge deal to me but a heavier plane almost never flys better than a light one. Landing speed will be raised, balance point will be moved forward a good bit also and heavier planes break easier.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14342 This motor might be about what you're looking for, when in stock, of course. As Chris said above, a wattmeter is a great tool to see what's going on.
krexken is online now Find More Posts by krexken
Old Jun 05, 2011, 11:25 AM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,227 Posts
^^^
so thats the fastest, I want low and slow for this 1.75lb plane
Do you have an esc,motor prop combo reccomendation for me?
Much appreciated, Dave
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot