HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2011, 12:51 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,291 Posts
gilshafir

There is no instruction with this kit! that any of us have every seen The kit builds straight forward enough you can figure it out. this tread has covered most of what needs to be done to build and fly the plane.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 05:51 PM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
good to see i'm not the only one tearing out my new stronger gear and snapping my plane in half. i reckon its stronger now than before where the fuselage snapped, i even added some epoxy where the wing meets the fuselage at the front for added strength. as for the gear, i've just re-epoxied it back in, if it fails again i'll try those longer bolts and second piece of plywood, just might be a bit difficult now that the wing is more or less permanently glued on!
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
Old May 30, 2011, 04:33 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Reply to Stalyoni

Hey Stalyoni, what rates are were you running with your flight? I've been running 70/100 & +40 expo on my DX6I. I've got a 10 x 4.7 slofly prop on board with a Turnigy L3015A, no gear and the CG is about 90mm from the leading edge. My plane flies at about 2/3 your speed and I've found that at lower speeds she tends to nose up and sink to the ground in a harrier, just like your landing. I landed on the weekend like that into a slight breeze and basically feathered it down vertically Check my suggestion about moving the rudder and elevator servo's into the centre with longer arms, at 100% she'll basically loop within about a 2m circle.
Rostermonkey is offline Find More Posts by Rostermonkey
Old May 30, 2011, 06:14 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostermonkey View Post
Hey Stalyoni, what rates are were you running with your flight? I've been running 70/100 & +40 expo on my DX6I. I've got a 10 x 4.7 slofly prop on board with a Turnigy L3015A, no gear and the CG is about 90mm from the leading edge. My plane flies at about 2/3 your speed and I've found that at lower speeds she tends to nose up and sink to the ground in a harrier, just like your landing. I landed on the weekend like that into a slight breeze and basically feathered it down vertically Check my suggestion about moving the rudder and elevator servo's into the centre with longer arms, at 100% she'll basically loop within about a 2m circle.
mate im using 60/100 and 50% expo on my dx6i. Im running an APC 11x5.5 prop. Im using hxt900s on the ailerons and its in the second hole from the end as i didnt want them to snap the top hole and come out.

The plane has plenty enough throw for me atm. I plain to get more of that fluorescent paint and paint some more on her before the weekend to make her really stand out.

I actually would like her to go a little faster but for now shes ok. I think i could put my 1300mah lipos in her and she would go a bit quicker with the lighter load.

Anyways im in love with this plane and its my new favourite.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old May 30, 2011, 09:05 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0005 View Post
i even added some epoxy where the wing meets the fuselage at the front for added strength.
Actually, epoxy alone added nothing but weight. To strengthen the fuselage at the front of the wing cutout will require either fiberglass cloth AND epoxy, or perhaps cutting grooves and embedding carbon tubes to span the area.

As we are seeing, we are already sliding down the slippery slope of modifying airframes and enjoying the unexpected results.

I've finished installing my spring steel wire landing gear, I'll have pictures up later today.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is offline Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old May 30, 2011, 12:47 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,413 Posts
Steel wire landing gear

Here are a few pictures of my steel wire landing gear modification. I used 1/8" wire, but in hindsight 3/32" would have been fine and a few grams lighter. AUW with this landing gear and a 2200 mah pack is 903g.

All the rest of the pics I took are in this Picasa album.

Let me know if you have any questions on how it's made or how it works.

-Chris
Old May 30, 2011, 06:26 PM
United States, TX, Canyon
Joined Jan 2011
95 Posts
Pretty friggin' sweet Chris!
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Old May 30, 2011, 07:00 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_beyer View Post
Pretty friggin' sweet Chris!
Thanks Ben! It's just an old-fashioned torsion wire gear setup. The funky foam makes great gear leg fairings that are light and durable.

-Chris
Old May 31, 2011, 03:15 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
Thanks Ben! It's just an old-fashioned torsion wire gear setup. The funky foam makes great gear leg fairings that are light and durable.

-Chris
Hi Chris, looks pretty good, how much weight did it add back in? I'm still dubious about going back to gear for my purposes as I don't have a smooth area to land on, just rough crab grass.

- Darryl
Old May 31, 2011, 04:23 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Hi Chris, looks pretty good, how much weight did it add back in? I'm still dubious about going back to gear for my purposes as I don't have a smooth area to land on, just rough crab grass.

- Darryl
forget the landing gear man you dont need it. Im like you mate i fly in sports ovals with grass. As you saw in my video a belly landing is very doable. Im going to get more paint for her in the morning and some fuel tubing to put over the clevis' and maybe some ply to make a better motor mount.
Old May 31, 2011, 04:46 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
forget the landing gear man you dont need it. Im like you mate i fly in sports ovals with grass. As you saw in my video a belly landing is very doable. Im going to get more paint for her in the morning and some fuel tubing to put over the clevis' and maybe some ply to make a better motor mount.
All I had to do to mount my motor was glue a peice of 3 ply behind the firewall and use Spounys' trick for aligning the holes. 4 3mm x 35 mm bolts later and all was good.
Old May 31, 2011, 07:37 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,413 Posts
Quote:

- Darryl
Darryl, I'd say just stick with belly landing. With landing gear, anything but really smooth grass or pavement is very likely just going to tear up the fuselage.

My mods (including new pushrods) added about 40g to the weight. It needed weight forward of the CG anyway, so this was good for my setup. Between the new gear and going to a glued-on tail instead of bolt on I moved the CG about 10-12mm forward.

-Chris
Old Jun 01, 2011, 02:42 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,170 Posts
got the mods done and plugged in the electronics for first time, ran the motor up with APC 9 45E and it was powerful; didnt check esc temp but tried it again 15 minutes later and nothing, never seen motor smoke but esc was warm on second try when it wouldnt even run up the motor. Unplugged all and tried just esc to battery alone and it got slighty warmer.
So, the question is...Which motor and esc do you recommend to use with my new zippy 2200's?
thanks ,Dave
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Jun 01, 2011, 02:52 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
2,990 Posts
personally if i was going to order parts for this plane again i would go with this turnigy 35-30 1400kv motor and still use the turnigy plush 40a esc.

this motor

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=7076

and this esc

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=2165

Im running the 35-30 1100kv motor and i think it could be a little quicker. If you look at my video in my last posts you will see how quick it is with a 11x5.5 apc prop.

hope this helps
Old Jun 01, 2011, 03:08 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,170 Posts
it says that motor is being replaced by this NTM same specs but 50A esc
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=16234
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot