HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2011, 06:02 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,280 Posts
Got mine today from USA WH

arrived in flimsy box taped here and there on the edge to where I could see inside the box! Heres some pics of it all.
I went to my LHS and they only had an APC 9045E prop, will it work on the stock setup with my 2200 zippy's? Also picked up the hardware upgrades and some Deans Ultra plugs.
Also no instructions, Do you glue the stab on?
other than the minor things in pics Id say its a pretty darn good deal for billski..totally happy
cant wait to get her setup,already yanked the wing stickers off UGLY
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Last edited by slopepilot; May 24, 2011 at 06:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2011, 07:21 PM
Joined Jun 2007
12 Posts
It Flies?

Put on a GWS 9x5HD prop and with a fully charged Rhino2100 3s i got 29 amps at WOT. It flys, but seemed tail heavy (I left the LG & tail wheel off).
I added an AA battery in the front of the battery compartment and it helped.
The pushrods are flexing way to much, I will have to fix/replace them. Overall the plane has no BAD stall habbits, and with some tuning should fly well. I need to get a bigger prop, maybe a 10x3.8? as it doesn't have a lot of verticle pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteLes View Post
I got the Red one from the USA warehouse, took about 9 days.
How are you all securing the cowl to the fuselage?
I think the pushrod connectors should all be replaced, the just look weak.
My Aileron servos are loose also, will glue them in w/ hot glue.
Havent tried the motor yet, but will check it on the watt meter tonight.
The motor isn't rubbing the case, but it hits the foam cowl.
The landing gear made me laugh, its seems REAL thin... Has anyone tried flying it without the LG?
Can't wait to try it this weekend.
Capt Ylee
CoyoteLes is offline Find More Posts by CoyoteLes
Old May 24, 2011, 08:12 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteLes View Post
Put on a GWS 9x5HD prop and with a fully charged Rhino2100 3s i got 29 amps at WOT.

If you're using the stock motor and propping it for 29a you won't be using the stock motor long
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 24, 2011, 09:05 PM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopepilot View Post
arrived in flimsy box taped here and there on the edge to where I could see inside the box! Heres some pics of it all.
I went to my LHS and they only had an APC 9045E prop, will it work on the stock setup with my 2200 zippy's? Also picked up the hardware upgrades and some Deans Ultra plugs.
other than the minor things in pics Id say its a pretty darn good deal for billski..totally happy
there's no glue required for the stab at all, its just bolted on.if you check my previous post on the last page you can see i'm running a 9x6 and i'm running 2200 25-30c 3s packs. don't even bother with the standard landing gear, go to the local hardware store and buy a strip of aluminium about 3 times thicker but the same width as the stocker, and you will be able to make some gear that not only works(took me about 1 hour to make, and i was being picky) but also moves the cg forward because it is a bit heavier which makes the plane fly so much sweeter. check out the pictures a few pages ago of the gear that THEAD made for his..mines the same. its cheaper than carbon gear, and i think if you went the carbon option you may end up needing to add weight to the nose anyway. do yourself a favour and set her up right from the start, mine was near impossible to land with the cg too far back as recommended and with the stock flimsy pushrods
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
Last edited by jb0005; May 25, 2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old May 25, 2011, 07:09 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Poorly glued spar on wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopepilot View Post
The glue used doesn't even appear to set properly. I replaced my servos with HXT900's. I reused the idea of putting the leads under the spar and found the glue to be really tacky. Spar removed easily, servo's removed and then I had to pull out the globs of half set glue to reinstall.
Rostermonkey is offline Find More Posts by Rostermonkey
Old May 25, 2011, 10:50 AM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostermonkey View Post
The glue used doesn't even appear to set properly. I replaced my servos with HXT900's. I reused the idea of putting the leads under the spar and found the glue to be really tacky. Spar removed easily, servo's removed and then I had to pull out the globs of half set glue to reinstall.
When I pulled the stock firewall the glue was dry but only about a quarter of it was actually bonded to the ply and the EPO. Just a heads up for everyone.
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Old May 25, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup! View Post
When I pulled the stock firewall the glue was dry but only about a quarter of it was actually bonded to the ply and the EPO. Just a heads up for everyone.
I had the same experience with my firewall. At first I thought it would be difficult to remove because it has plywood flanges set into the foam portion of the firewall. Turns out the white glue they used hardly had any bond with the foam. Same thing with the landing gear block - the glue bonded well with the plywood but not the foam.
Nathing is offline Find More Posts by Nathing
Old May 25, 2011, 10:32 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,465 Posts
Maiden complete.

Very happy with the aircraft! Well worth the minimal amount of tweaks required to make it right.

Its moved up to getting upgraded servos installed, its a keeper.
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Old May 26, 2011, 04:49 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Maiden Completed.

Took her out for a test flight this morning, CG with wire gear is about 90mm FLE. Handled really well with the Turnigy L3015A and 10x3.8 slofly prop, has some verticle ability but it wont go straight up forever. Still some tweaking to go. Found that she didn't want to glide in to land that smoothly- wanted to nose it in, second landing was smooth and balanced but ripped the wire gear out. Gear is in one peice but the ply block was torn free.

Couldn't get a harrier going or any prop hanging. What's the best elevator deflection anyone else has got? I haven't measured mine but it is around the 40 deg mark on the second closest hole to the flap surface. I'm also using HXT900 servo's which have a slightly smaller arm than the white stock ones.
Old May 26, 2011, 04:57 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
engine and prop advice please.

Currently have a Turnigy L3015A http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14733 with a 10 x 3.8 slofly prop and HK 35A esc, pulls about 24A. I've got a Turnigy 70A esc, would I get better thrust and aerodynamic performance if I went to a 11x7 or 12x6 SF prop? To offset the weight of the ESC I was thinking that because it would run pretty cool maybe I could mount it in the cavity under the wing? I could also maybe add some breather holes under the wings.

I would appreciate thoughts and comments on this before I go away and start experimenting cutting holes etc. I would prefer to defer to experience and wisdom.

Regards,
Darryl
Old May 26, 2011, 08:32 AM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
Rostermonkey, you have same motor as mine, I think that the only thing which misses you is a good prop (and maybee good lipo ?).
I have a true APC E 11x5.5 which produces 1600gr of thrust for 30A, your 35A ESC is OK, it would be useless to add weight for an other ESC.
My plane weighs 955gr (GC => 83mm) to 975gr (GC => 93mm) by adding some lead under the tail.
Now I usually fly with 15gr under the tail (GC => 90mm) in this configuration my plane weighs 970gr, it is widely capable of hovering at 60 % throttle, and of restarting quickly upright if I puts 100% throttle.
I make even ascents upright of infinite duration with 100% aileron travel, plane making about 2 to 3 barrels per second... and no power problem.
Spouny is offline Find More Posts by Spouny
Old May 26, 2011, 08:57 AM
AKA - Darryl
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spouny View Post
Rostermonkey, you have same motor as mine, I think that the only thing which misses you is a good prop (and maybee good lipo ?).
I have a true APC E 11x5.5 which produces 1600gr of thrust for 30A, your 35A ESC is OK, it would be useless to add weight for an other ESC.
My plane weighs 955gr (GC => 83mm) to 975gr (GC => 93mm) by adding some lead under the tail.
Now I usually fly with 15gr under the tail (GC => 90mm) in this configuration my plane weighs 970gr, it is widely capable of hovering at 60 % throttle, and of restarting quickly upright if I puts 100% throttle.
I make even ascents upright of infinite duration with 100% aileron travel, plane making about 2 to 3 barrels per second... and no power problem.
Thanks for the advice, I don't have any APC props but I'll try my bigger props and check the amps. I'm using Turnigy 2200 20C's.
Old May 27, 2011, 05:01 AM
The balance is the answer
Walnut Creek CA
Joined Oct 2009
42 Posts
Hi

I made a few mods that I want to show you, guys.

This mods are for a Light set up with up to 240W and 38 OZ of thrust. I finaly end it with 1300 mAh on 804g and with 1600mAh on 840g.

I fix the problem with the CG removing the plastic parts and screws from the tail and gluing it with a carbon rods (instead of then screws) it is about 8g lighter.

I change the LG for this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5103
and add this 50mm wheels http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9832
I put Hs 65 hb everywhere (they are not lighter than the stock ones but they are way better)
This ESC wich is heavier than the stock but better and heps to move the RG forward
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9482
And this motor that give me plenty of power with out been overkill.http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail . I can hover with this set up and keep same extra power to leave it.

I change all the pushrods for 1,5m one and this pushrod snap connectors http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=4365
and I'm using the longest servo arms.

Pics:
Estoner is offline Find More Posts by Estoner
Last edited by Estoner; May 27, 2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old May 27, 2011, 07:04 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,159 Posts
@estoner

great mods!!
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old May 27, 2011, 03:07 PM
The balance is the answer
Walnut Creek CA
Joined Oct 2009